The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

From what I hear the best place to do the CPE is City University - it has the top reputation but there are plenty of places such as BPP and College of Law. If you don't want to practice as a Lawyer there really is not that much point to doing the CPE as its purpose is to train those who have done degrees other than Law in the Law so they can practice as a Solicitor or a Barrister.
Reply 2
edders
I was told by a friend that a law conversion course is a great way to learn/demonstrate a whole slew of skills, and only takes a year. I have a few questions:

1) Where are the top places to study a CPE?
2) How respected is it? Do you get a classification or is it a pass/fail?
3) Is it worth it for someone who doesn't want to practice law, but is interested in showing high analytical/writing skills?
4) Is it worth the money?

As it is I'm doing a physics MSci degree.

I'd question why you did it really, as its intended for those who want to go into legal practice. It would certainly look a bit strange on a CV! Besides, won't you already demonstrated "high analytical and writing skills" by getting ur Masters and couldn't the money be better spent?
Reply 3
Thanks JSMill (I liked your book On Liberty btw). Do you not think that it's worth it maybe for someone who's interested in a career in politics/civil service, as an intensive intro to the British system?
Reply 4
chriswhit
I'd question why you did it really, as its intended for those who want to go into legal practice. It would certainly look a bit strange on a CV! Besides, won't you already demonstrated "high analytical and writing skills" by getting ur Masters and couldn't the money be better spent?

Wellllllllll, maybe, I'm only floating the idea. :smile:
Reply 5
hehe ok:smile: Its a total new one on me, the first time ive ever heard anyone even think about taking this route. What are you intending to do after your studies have finished?
Reply 6
chriswhit
hehe ok:smile: Its a total new one on me, the first time ive ever heard anyone even think about taking this route. What are you intending to do after your studies have finished?

Politics/CS is a real possibility, as I said to our distinguished friend JS Mill.
Reply 7
edders
Politics/CS is a real possibility, as I said to our distinguished friend JS Mill.

A Masters in politics or a related subject may therefore have more clout than the CPE
Reply 8
chriswhit
A Masters in politics or a related subject may therefore have more clout than the CPE

Meh, you may be right. Do you think it's worth doing a second BA in 2 years? I'm not sure if a science student would be let onto an arts MA. :confused:
edders
Meh, you may be right. Do you think it's worth doing a second BA in 2 years? I'm not sure if a science student would be let onto an arts MA. :confused:

I am pretty sure there are MAs you can do with any degree - I think doing an MA/MPHIL in International Relations doesn't require an arts subject to have been studied at undergraduate level.
Reply 10
JohnStuartMill
I am pretty sure there are MAs you can do with any degree - I think doing an MA/MPHIL in International Relations doesn't require an arts subject to have been studied at undergraduate level.

Yeah thats true. If the CPE will take 1, it will only take another year to get a second degree. If the law idea really takes you, I know u can do "senior status" (ie graduate level) law degrees in 2 years. If you want to qualify, I think you may have to undertake further vocational training, but if you are just doing to to acquire new skills then it might be an option worth considering?
Reply 11
You can do a graduate MA or LLM in 2 yrs.
There were quite a few people on my course from science disciplines.
Reply 12
hmmm.... I'm in a similar situation. I just got my B.Sc (physics & computer science), but I decided I want to do law. I'm heading over to Durham to do a LLB, which takes 3 years. there are both ups and downs for this... (-)it takes longer than the CPE, (-)more expensive as i'm considered as overseas in UK, (-)i'll be older than EVERYONE, (+)i'll have law degree which is more acceptable worldwide than CPE itself, (+)i have a second chance to pull up my grades for undergrad as physics & computer science went really rough, (+)perhaps if i later want to do a masters, the LLB grades will help me better.... what do you think? am I doing the right thing?
Reply 13
-SKYLINE-
hmmm.... I'm in a similar situation. I just got my B.Sc (physics & computer science), but I decided I want to do law. I'm heading over to Durham to do a LLB, which takes 3 years. there are both ups and downs for this... (-)it takes longer than the CPE, (-)more expensive as i'm considered as overseas in UK, (-)i'll be older than EVERYONE, (+)i'll have law degree which is more acceptable worldwide than CPE itself, (+)i have a second chance to pull up my grades for undergrad as physics & computer science went really rough, (+)perhaps if i later want to do a masters, the LLB grades will help me better.... what do you think? am I doing the right thing?

When balancing all those factors yead, i'd say you were. You are right about the degree giving you more options than the CPE does. As ive said previously, its a good generic degree with many transferrable skills so your cv will be much stronger as a result. Its also a good chance to demonstrate academic and personal development if you pull the grades up too:smile: Good luck!
Reply 14
-SKYLINE-

I'm in a very similar position as yourself. i graduated last year with a BA. I have a place to study law at bristol as a second degree- but i'm worrying abt the same things- the length of the degree, the fact i'm older than everyone, the cost involved etc. I'm not sure whether to do this 3yr llb or a 2yr senior status llb at queen mary- or just a postgrad diploma or cpe somewhere else. what do you guys think?
Reply 15
also- do you think law firms will still take into account where u did a law degree- even if you're doing it as a second degree, rather than a first degree? i'm worried they may wonder why i'm doing another 3yr degree instead of something shorter!! argh!!! any advice much appreciated.
Reply 16
For a start, Durham is quite well respected, so no worries there, and if it came up at interview or on applications, you could outline the reasons as you have done here. A lot of people do go in straight from a first degree in law or having completed the GDL, but I don't think your route need count against you too much as you can explain it.
Reply 17
how abt bristol? is bristol 3yr llb better than 2yr queen mary llb for postgraduates?
Reply 18
Bristol yeah. Queen Mary is a really good "new" uni though, on the up with some great academic..but yep, given the option id go for Bristol I think. Any other views?
Reply 19
I've only read this post quickly, so correct me if i'm wrong?!

I've gathered that one of you wants to practice law as a career after doing a science degree and is considering going to do an LLB.

taking the llb isnt necessary as a second degree, for those who have completed a non law degree all you need to do is take the CPE (a crash course to bring you up to the same level of knowledge as LLB graduates) then do the LPC along with the other LLB graduates.
You dont have to go back and do a second degree!!

Latest

Trending

Trending