The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

Heriot Watt Questions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Rogercbinboy
I'm quite concerned about the transport to Edinburgh centre/the distance from it.

How regular/expensive are the busses from Heriot-Watt to the centre and do you actually feel like a part of the city despite the location?

busses to the city centre are literraly every 10 mins the 25 and 34 take you to the centre and there every 10 mins the busses run all day tickets are quite cheap aswell the only problem i have with the uni is that theres no decent food places
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
is there a good chance i will be accepted with the same course as last yr,, but with a late application this yr?!
im looking to do chemistry with forensic science...
Reply 22
Hiya,
I've been accepted into the MSc in International Accounting and Finance starting in Sept 2011 and am just wondering where would be the best place to apply for accommodation? I'll be 22 when starting and would love to live with others around the same age who aren't just interested in study! Ideally I'd love to live where I could meet plenty of others who are more interested in the going out aspect of college as I'm not going to know anybody else when I move over..
Thanks! :smile:
Hey, I've got a conditional for fashion marketing and retailing. Could you give me contacts of somebody who is studying that course?
Hi, my name is Philipp,
I'm from Austria and I'll be studying translation sciences (undergraduate) at Heriot-Watt from 19th September till 20th December. I hope I don't go against the rules of the forum bringing up the topic of accomodation, but I still have got some questions left, even after reading through the diffrent types of accomodation on the homepage. ^^
What does for example "40 week lease" mean? Does that mean that I would have to pay the 40 weeks although I'm only studying at HW for only 13 weeks?
Would it be maybe smarter to look for other accomodations outside of HW, especially when I'm keen on a single bedroom, where I'm allowed to cook and have my own bathroom? I saw the offer of self-catered rooms, en suite; but they seem to cost a pretty penny thta they aren't for undergraduates.
Reply 25
Hi, I was wondering if someone could tell me one or two things about the accommodation at HWU. First of all, how does the 40 week lease thing work, I mean you move in then move out each year? If so is there some sort of a storage for your stuff during the summer? I am coming from Switzerland, so that's why this isn't an obvious situation of take car move stuff and so on. If not renting a room in a flat with flatmates might be a better option, but it isn't the easiest thing to do from another country. Does anyone know any good websites for flat hunting?

Another question I have is how long are the beds in the rooms? I'm quite tall and have trouble with fitting in certain beds.

Thanks for any insight and I look forward to studying at Heriot Watt.
Reply 26
40 weeks accommodation gives you

14 weeks for semester 1
12 weeks for semester 2
4 weeks for during exam period

You can leave you stuff in your room in between these times (Easter and Christmas). I think you can also arrange to stay during holidays but this will come at a little extra cost.
Reply 27
My maths is terrible ... And to think I have a degree in it now ... There should be an extra week in there for Freshers week at the beginning of semester 1. I'm guessing holiday time is included in the price too to make it up to 40 weeks.
Reply 28
Sorry for spamming ... You'll get accommodation in halls for first year then now people share a flat closer to the city centre for year 2 onwards
Reply 29
I've accepted a room in halls and paid my deposit but when do I pay the rest of the money? Will they email me nearer the time?
Stealing my thread Mike :frown:

kslasota, usually they will post a reciept into your mailbox, they will usually tell you about it during freshers week anyway. You can go to Student Support and Accomadation on campus in the main building opposite the bank and are able to pay it there as soon as you arrive.
Reply 31
Thanks for the help. I think that i'll still try to find a shared flat instead of a room in a hall though, because of the bed size. But if that fails I'll sign up for the hall accommadation (one week before the uk students gets their results) :banana2:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi, I fully recommend getting a room in halls, the beds being smaller is a disadvantage however as the halls in HW are campus based you do miss out on the atmosphere and some of the goings on by finding a flat in town.
what happens after you pay your accommodation reservation fee by bank transfer?!
do they send you an e-mail or a letter?!
Reply 34
Hey Guys i got an offer for accommodation in George Burnett Hall - Room G05 . So is there any one in the same building and any one knows in which floor this room ?
Reply 35
hey,im likely going to HW now...really excited about it:smile: maybe someone is studying here biological sciences and could answer some questions?(im sure there will be more as summer goes:biggrin: )
so does classes is only on roccarton campus? or for some modules i will have to go some other places...
and how about studies shedule? is it tight ,many hours a day and 5 days per week or maybe 4? :colondollar:
Original post by gigi_cheung
what happens after you pay your accommodation reservation fee by bank transfer?!
do they send you an e-mail or a letter?!

Hey, its a few years since I was in halls but they sent me a letter.

Original post by mosab
Hey Guys i got an offer for accommodation in George Burnett Hall - Room G05 . So is there any one in the same building and any one knows in which floor this room ?

G05 is on the ground floor.

Original post by meilete
hey,im likely going to HW now...really excited about it:smile: maybe someone is studying here biological sciences and could answer some questions?(im sure there will be more as summer goes:biggrin: )
so does classes is only on roccarton campus? or for some modules i will have to go some other places...
and how about studies shedule? is it tight ,many hours a day and 5 days per week or maybe 4? :colondollar:

Your classes will all be in the riccarton campus.

As for when, it depends on modules and even then it can change every year. I did Chemistry and I had Wednesdays and only 1 optional hour on Thursdays to go to. However when I was only doing part time last year I had 4 9.15's and a couple of 5.15's not fun. So yeah you probably won't be able to tell until you get the timetable. Usually though Wednesday afternoons are left free.
Hey, can you please tell me the reputation of Mechanical Engineering in the university? I got an offer for the same course at the Dubai Campus but do plan to transfer there after Year 2. I know you can't tell me about the quality of the course because you might not be doing it there but I would like to know about the facilities they have for engineering
Reply 38
Another question - is there a swimming pool on campus? I can't see anything about there being one on the sports facilities section of the website but you would think they would have one with all the other facilities being so good...anyone let me know?
C_L, I know very little about the Mech Eng course, sorry.

kslasota, there isn't a swimming pool on campus. There are numerous swimming pools nearby. People like the kayaking society use one thats close by. For instance, I used Dalry Swimming pool although thats because I was living close to there.

Quick Reply

Latest