The Student Room Group

OCR A2 English Literature Exams - 15th June?

Anyone else doing English Lit OCR this year?

Let's share our pain.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
English Literature literally sucks balls. Good luck with your poems. I remember when I took my A2 exam last year, and I hated the poems, as there's just so much to remember, even though I got higher marks in this paper than in my comparison of 2 Gothic novels.
Reply 2
Jingers
English Literature literally sucks balls. Good luck with your poems. I remember when I took my A2 exam last year, and I hated the poems, as there's just so much to remember, even though I got higher marks in this paper than in my comparison of 2 Gothic novels.

Tell me about it. I've got to know Paradise Lost, Duchess of Malfi and Othello quotes off by heart. Closed text exams are awful.
Reply 3
I think you're lucky, looking at Paradise Lost. I don't kow The Duchess of Malfi but Othello's not bad.

Try to enjoy it (coming from someone who took English Lit last year), be challenged by it and appreciate it - complexities, craft and so on.

I misplaced my annotated poems a few weeks before the exam and couldn't be bothered to annotate them again, so I just read them a dozen times.

If you know 'themes' or certain ideas or interpretations of actions, you can bring them in quite a few questions for some easy marks.
For example, an offer of marriage from a duke to whom you owe a great deal, is arguably tantamount to statutory rape - that can be brought up in questions about that duke's character and responsibility as a ruler, and in questions about sex, and in questions about the play's ending, and in question's about...

Quoting phrases (not full lines) can be okay for poems - like I said, read them over and over.
Reply 4
amenhotep
I think you're lucky, looking at Paradise Lost. I don't kow The Duchess of Malfi but Othello's not bad.

Try to enjoy it (coming from someone who took English Lit last year), be challenged by it and appreciate it - complexities, craft and so on.

I misplaced my annotated poems a few weeks before the exam and couldn't be bothered to annotate them again, so I just read them a dozen times.

If you know 'themes' or certain ideas or interpretations of actions, you can bring them in quite a few questions for some easy marks.
For example, an offer of marriage from a duke to whom you owe a great deal, is arguably tantamount to statutory rape - that can be brought up in questions about that duke's character and responsibility as a ruler, and in questions about sex, and in questions about the play's ending, and in question's about...

Quoting phrases (not full lines) can be okay for poems - like I said, read them over and over.

Thanks.

I did enjoy reading and studying Paradise Lost (I only did Book 1).

It's just the thought of having to know it and quote it like this for an exam seems really difficult. I think it's because of all the biblical language and references, so you have to keep looking up every other word (in some parts) just to understand what is being said.
Reply 5
BryonieIV
Thanks.

I did enjoy reading and studying Paradise Lost (I only did Book 1).

It's just the thought of having to know it and quote it like this for an exam seems really difficult. I think it's because of all the biblical language and references, so you have to keep looking up every other word (in some parts) just to understand what is being said.

Have a Bible handy (you can use a large copy as a seat too).
Once you know a his source for some of the imagery and such like, it can be useful for many questions.

Yeah, the notes section at the back (my copy) is as big as I've ever seen - they don't use numbered endnotes (little circles, rather) because those numbers would be as long as some of the words, by the end.

I didn't like some of mytexts to begin with and didn;t even read them completely but would have had an A* as my final grade, if it was a year later. I don't really revise either, besides reading parts of the texts and a few of my essays before the exams. So it's not that hard if you see it as a challenge of your mind and analysis skills, and of getting your views across (I know this sounds like motivational tripe, but that's the only was I can motivate myself - multiplied by 10 for tedious sociology).

Yeah, the Bible and Christianity offends me, so...
Reply 6
amenhotep
Have a Bible handy (you can use a large copy as a seat too).
Once you know a his source for some of the imagery and such like, it can be useful for many questions.

Yeah, the notes section at the back (my copy) is as big as I've ever seen - they don't use numbered endnotes (little circles, rather) because those numbers would be as long as some of the words, by the end.

I didn't like some of mytexts to begin with and didn;t even read them completely but would have had an A* as my final grade, if it was a year later. I don't really revise either, besides reading parts of the texts and a few of my essays before the exams. So it's not that hard if you see it as a challenge of your mind and analysis skills, and of getting your views across (I know this sounds like motivational tripe, but that's the only was I can motivate myself - multiplied by 10 for tedious sociology).

Yeah, the Bible and Christianity offends me, so...

Yeah, reading it for the first time was slow because every other word we had to keep looking it up in the notes section.

But I've been studying the English civil war and commonwealth in history, so I'm finding it quite easy to relate Milton that way. Just have to work on my literary analysis of some of the key quotes.

English is my strongest subject as I'm generally good at writing analytical essays. I've just got to try and not let the complexity of Paradise Lost phase me! :o:

Having said that, I'm planning on reading the rest of the poem once I finish my exams. :smile:
Reply 7
Hey I am doing Othello and Donne too! Is anyone doing Dr Faustus?

How are people revising? I have no clue!!!!
Reply 8
znh
Hey I am doing Othello and Donne too! Is anyone doing Dr Faustus?

How are people revising? I have no clue!!!!

Planning to make flashcards of key quotes which I can talk most about. Make mind maps, etc. Read York Notes, Spark Notes, Shmoop. Practice essays.

My teacher for Othello hasn't taught us anything. He has just gone through the plot and the theme of racism. My other teacher has had to teach us what he isn't and use her lessons (Duchess of Malfi and Paradise Lost) for Othello.

Then today, the head of year 13 (who is an English teacher) came into our lesson and taught us all she knows about Othello. And she was really shocked about how little we knew. It's scary how much she taught us.

So, currently freaking out about Othello.
Reply 9
BryonieIV
Planning to make flashcards of key quotes which I can talk most about. Make mind maps, etc. Read York Notes, Spark Notes, Shmoop. Practice essays.

My teacher for Othello hasn't taught us anything. He has just gone through the plot and the theme of racism. My other teacher has had to teach us what he isn't and use her lessons (Duchess of Malfi and Paradise Lost) for Othello.

Then today, the head of year 13 (who is an English teacher) came into our lesson and taught us all she knows about Othello. And she was really shocked about how little we knew. It's scary how much she taught us.

So, currently freaking out about Othello.

I am the total opposite! I am fine with Othello, in my last timed essay I got 27/30 but I am really struggling withe Donne and Faustus - we had a closed book mock in class and I got 18/30!!

And that sucks about Othello, but I am sure it will be fine now that you have other teachers going through it too :smile:
A02/A03 will be examined in Othello.. right? has anyone watched a DVD on Othello? 'cause that will gain you marks if you mention it :s-smilie:
Reply 11
Beautiful Nightmare
A02/A03 will be examined in Othello.. right? has anyone watched a DVD on Othello? 'cause that will gain you marks if you mention it :s-smilie:

Yeah I have seen around 4 productions. But A02 is marked more heavily so I don't think it will matter too much if you don't mention productions as long as A02 is covered.

How ae you revising?

And has anyone seen Dr Faustus? My teacher said the one with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burtan is terrible and I should watch the one by Greenwich theatre, but I cannot find it any where!!

Does anyone know if it is possible to watch online?
Reply 12
Beautiful Nightmare

What? I didn't even know this!

What if you've seen it at the Globe?

What are you supposed to say about the DVD?
Reply 13
I was told that too (about Dr. Fau) but I couldn't find anything! :frown:

Absolutely flipping scared for the exam though... its my first one out of the lot and I'm only just starting to revise. How are you all going about it? X
Reply 14
BryonieIV
What? I didn't even know this!

What if you've seen it at the Globe?

What are you supposed to say about the DVD?

We only just found out about this in out exam today too... 4 weeks before the exam, thats just brilliant really!
I'm totally freaking out about this whole thing. I'm doing Othello, Duchess of Malfi and John Donne (anyone doing that tooooo :s-smilie:?)

The poetry/prose is more heavily weighted for A03 and A04 while Shakespeare is more heavily weighted A01 and A02.

Yes, seeing it at the globe is fine, using passing references to show you have 'detailed exploration of different readings of the texts'... this is of course critics quotes, which are a pain to learn too :frown:

How are you revisinggg?
Reply 15
znh
I am the total opposite! I am fine with Othello, in my last timed essay I got 27/30 but I am really struggling withe Donne and Faustus - we had a closed book mock in class and I got 18/30!!

And that sucks about Othello, but I am sure it will be fine now that you have other teachers going through it too :smile:

I'm seriously struggling with Donne! What poems are you looking at? ALthough I'm comparing it with Duchess of Malfi...

At least you've done practice essays!!! we're doing our FIRST one tomorrow; this is going to be a complete disaster :/ x
Reply 16
Munch,
I'm seriously struggling with Donne! What poems are you looking at? ALthough I'm comparing it with Duchess of Malfi...

At least you've done practice essays!!! we're doing our FIRST one tomorrow; this is going to be a complete disaster :/ x

We have looked at:

Death be not Proud,
O my Black Soul
Batter my heart
This is my play's last scene
Hymn to God my God in my sickness
A hymn to God the father
To his Mistress going to bed
The flea
The sun rising
The good morrow
A Valedication: forbiddiing mourning
The Canonization
A Nocturnal upon St Lucy's Day
To His Mistress Going to Bed

What about you?
Reply 17
lisyah
I was told that too (about Dr. Fau) but I couldn't find anything! :frown:

Absolutely flipping scared for the exam though... its my first one out of the lot and I'm only just starting to revise. How are you all going about it? X

I take it you are doing Dr Faustus?
Reply 18
Munch,
We only just found out about this in out exam today too... 4 weeks before the exam, thats just brilliant really!
I'm totally freaking out about this whole thing. I'm doing Othello, Duchess of Malfi and John Donne (anyone doing that tooooo :s-smilie:?)

The poetry/prose is more heavily weighted for A03 and A04 while Shakespeare is more heavily weighted A01 and A02.

Yes, seeing it at the globe is fine, using passing references to show you have 'detailed exploration of different readings of the texts'... this is of course critics quotes, which are a pain to learn too :frown:

How are you revisinggg?

Memorising quotes and criticisms. Making posters of themes and characters.

And then just reading the texts again and reading notes about them.

How are you revising?
Reply 19
We've been doing essays in classes, and generally wider reading seems to focus on themes more. In terms of quotes, it doesn't seem to be necessary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending