The Student Room Group

OCR A2 English Literature Exams - 15th June?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
BryonieIV
Memorising quotes and criticisms. Making posters of themes and characters.

And then just reading the texts again and reading notes about them.

How are you revising?

Probably memorising quotes for themes/ characters and critics. I am also going to do timed, closed book essay during the holidays to email to my teacher... if I can be bothered lol :p:

What texts are you doing? I am studying Othello and Donne/ Faustus
Reply 21
znh
Probably memorising quotes for themes/ characters and critics. I am also going to do timed, closed book essay during the holidays to email to my teacher... if I can be bothered lol :p:

What texts are you doing? I am studying Othello and Donne/ Faustus

Ahh.

Othello, The Duchess of Malfi and Paradise Lost
I'm doing Othello, The Pardoner's tale and Dr Faustus.

Why OCR? Why are you making me compare The Pardoner with Dr Faustus?

I'm a lot more comfortable with Othello right now.
Im doing Othello and comparative 'the Rover' by Behn and Poetry of John Donne. Bloody heck am i dreading the exam! My comparative texts are SO alternative there's like no study guides/internet articles or notable critics on them...they're all about perspectives on sex.

How many quotations you guys learning for Othello, slash what themes you going to learn quotations from?
znh
I am the total opposite! I am fine with Othello, in my last timed essay I got 27/30 but I am really struggling withe Donne and Faustus - we had a closed book mock in class and I got 18/30!!

How did you get to grips with Othello in such an efficient manner? I'm OCR A2 Othello too and don't know how to revise? how many quotations you gonna learn, under what themes?

i'm also doing Donne & Aphra Behn's "The Rover" for my Comparative.

I need Help on Donne and The Rover!!!? How do I prepare them!?
Reply 25
My two comparative texts go really well together. On the practice class essays I've managed to get 28/30 and 27/30.

With Othello, we've only done 1 class essay and I got 22/30. I'm finding it more difficult because we haven't done it in any depth at all. So I know nothing about the context or anything. I'm having to go by on guessing the historical context, which I'm sure is not very specific enough to get a good grade.
Reply 26
othello! argh! i need some practise questions other than the specimen and jan exam ones
any got any? thanks!
Reply 27
znh
We have looked at:

Death be not Proud,
O my Black Soul
Batter my heart
This is my play's last scene
Hymn to God my God in my sickness
A hymn to God the father
To his Mistress going to bed
The flea
The sun rising
The good morrow
A Valedication: forbiddiing mourning
The Canonization
A Nocturnal upon St Lucy's Day
To His Mistress Going to Bed

What about you?

That's loads! We read the examiners comments from the Jan exams and theyve said that talking about 3 or 4 poems is enough.

We've done:

The Flea
The Sun Rising
Song - go catch a falling star
Sonnet 6
Air and Angels
The Relic
Reply 28
BryonieIV
Memorising quotes and criticisms. Making posters of themes and characters.

And then just reading the texts again and reading notes about them.

How are you revising?

Pretty much the same! I'm gonna start doing a load of practise essays this week and e-mail them to my teacher to read... and hopefully that'll get the ball rolling.
Memorising all the quotes etc. is the hardest. Although, Part B is still looking pretty daunting atm.
Reply 29
Munch,
That's loads! We read the examiners comments from the Jan exams and theyve said that talking about 3 or 4 poems is enough.

We've done:

The Flea
The Sun Rising
Song - go catch a falling star
Sonnet 6
Air and Angels
The Relic

lol I know! When I write an essay I only refer to 4 but I think it is good having a range of love and religious poetry to look at!
Reply 30
BryonieIV
My two comparative texts go really well together. On the practice class essays I've managed to get 28/30 and 27/30.

With Othello, we've only done 1 class essay and I got 22/30. I'm finding it more difficult because we haven't done it in any depth at all. So I know nothing about the context or anything. I'm having to go by on guessing the historical context, which I'm sure is not very specific enough to get a good grade.

Historical context is not really as important for Othello as it is for the comparative essay. I would say focus more on referring to different productions and alternative readings. But the main thing is definately A02!!!!!

28/30?! How? Please help me lol! I am only getting around 22 on average - we are in complete opposite situations!!!!
Reply 31
finnyounger
How did you get to grips with Othello in such an efficient manner? I'm OCR A2 Othello too and don't know how to revise? how many quotations you gonna learn, under what themes?

i'm also doing Donne & Aphra Behn's "The Rover" for my Comparative.

I need Help on Donne and The Rover!!!? How do I prepare them!?

My teacher said about 8 quotes per theme. Tbh, I don't really know any quotes yet, I am just trying to make sure I am planning/ writing essay questions. For the last week in class we are just sat in a circle bouncing ideas off each other and creating random essay plans. It is easy to remember quotes by heart but it is the application and A02 that is a struggle. For what quotes to remember, I would probably say learning Iago's and Othello's main solioquy's but I cannot really remember all the themes off the top of my head! Based on past essays - tragedy, race, jealousy, female strength, appetites and also quotes for character essays.

For the comparision I would make sure you know a lot of context. I got my second timed one today and I went from 18/30 to 24/30 so I am happy with that lol. My teacher has said to get a high grade try and apply the things we did for coursework - topic sentences and making sure every idea, context point refers back to the question! I hope that helps and makes sense!!!
Reply 32
znh
Historical context is not really as important for Othello as it is for the comparative essay. I would say focus more on referring to different productions and alternative readings. But the main thing is definitely A02!!!!!

28/30?! How? Please help me lol! I am only getting around 22 on average - we are in complete opposite situations!!!!

I'm not sure what to say. Just by making sure I write about all the AOs and in really good detail. Reading around the subject, so I can write about things and write different readers interpretations/ critical views.

Then, you also get a lot of marks for how good you write. So I make a plan and make sure I have a good structure to my essays and kind of do the paragraphs for/against, similarity/difference, between each text.

You're probably doing all this. :p:
Reply 33
Geek_Pride
I'm doing Othello, The Pardoner's tale and Dr Faustus.

Why OCR? Why are you making me compare The Pardoner with Dr Faustus?

I'm a lot more comfortable with Othello right now.

Yes! The first person I have seen on here doing exactly the same texts as me :p: .

I am in exactly the same situation too; no problems with Othello, Faustus on its own is easy enough but I really cannot stand the Pardoner's Tale and having to compare those two is gonna be awful.

Have you found any good internet sources comparing the texts or even anything about the Pardoner? It's the one I am struggling with at the minute. SparkNotes is good for Faustus :yep: .
Reply 34
We could share Othello essays?
Jimmothy
Yes! The first person I have seen on here doing exactly the same texts as me :p: .

I am in exactly the same situation too; no problems with Othello, Faustus on its own is easy enough but I really cannot stand the Pardoner's Tale and having to compare those two is gonna be awful.

Have you found any good internet sources comparing the texts or even anything about the Pardoner? It's the one I am struggling with at the minute. SparkNotes is good for Faustus :yep: .

Yay! Someone doing the same texts as me :smile:

I haven't got any sites comparing the two texts, but I agree sparknotes is brilliant for Faustus.

Oh. On the OCR website, I think there is certain themes OCR wants the teacher to cover like Death, pursuit of power etc. I printed it all off, its really useful to find comparisons.
BryonieIV
What? I didn't even know this!

What if you've seen it at the Globe?

What are you supposed to say about the DVD?

I think that's fine. I really don't know what you have to write about though =/ maybe ...''I watched Othello at the Globe. Brilliant acting.'' :p:
Reply 37
Geek_Pride
Yay! Someone doing the same texts as me :smile:

I haven't got any sites comparing the two texts, but I agree sparknotes is brilliant for Faustus.

Oh. On the OCR website, I think there is certain themes OCR wants the teacher to cover like Death, pursuit of power etc. I printed it all off, its really useful to find comparisons.

Could you link me to those OCR pages please? I just had a look and the website is a little bit complicated. Either that or my Adobe is playing up :rolleyes: . It would be more than useful to find comparisons, I am finding it very difficult. Othello and Pardoner together would have been easier with the links between Iago and the Pardoner.

How have you gone about revising so far? I intend on re-reading the three texts, and I have found today that the introduction bit in the Pardoner is actually really insightful so that has helped me understand things a bit better :cool: .
Reply 38
Beautiful Nightmare
I think that's fine. I really don't know what you have to write about though =/ maybe ...''I watched Othello at the Globe. Brilliant acting.'' :p:

Haha, just makes me sound pretentious.:p:
Ahhhhh thankyouuu. I am going to fail this exam. Is anyone doing John Donne and Duchess of Malfi? I have some pretty good notes. And I'm guessing everyone does Othello?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending