The Student Room Group

OCR A2 English Literature Exams - 15th June?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Has anyone got any revision notes that they could send me on either Othello, Paradise Lost, or Doctor Faustus?... Much appreciated and +ve rep!!
Reply 41
I would also like revision notes!!!! Othello, John Donne, Doctor Faustus - any help would be much appreciated!

And does anyone have any tips on how the avoid talking about the charater as a real person in character essays - I am fine on thematic essays but with character essays I always tend to drop a couple of marks!
znh
I would also like revision notes!!!! Othello, John Donne, Doctor Faustus - any help would be much appreciated!

And does anyone have any tips on how the avoid talking about the charater as a real person in character essays - I am fine on thematic essays but with character essays I always tend to drop a couple of marks!

I have a pretty good essay on Othello which presents his character as revealing the tragic flaws in the audience ect? Could help a bit.
Reply 43
Charlisquigs
I have a pretty good essay on Othello which presents his character as revealing the tragic flaws in the audience ect? Could help a bit.

That would be amazing!!! I'll PM you my email address, unless you are putting it on here? :smile:
znh
That would be amazing!!! I'll PM you my email address, unless you are putting it on here? :smile:

Yeah I have a whole load of stuff my teacher gave us, I'll post it here and people can find which bit is useful to them.
Charlisquigs
Yeah I have a whole load of stuff my teacher gave us, I'll post it here and people can find which bit is useful to them.

Oh wow that is a load of stuff. Thanks loads and +ve rep for you :smile:

ohmygoshxo

Othello essays

Yeah we could. I'll post an Othello essay I just did now under timed conditions (so apologies if there are silly mistakes!), I knicked the question from AQA: "The the three female characters are presented as stereotypes: Desdemona the goddess, Emilia the wife, and Bianca the prostitute. How far do you agree?" As a health warning it hasn't been marked yet, so I have no idea what grade it was (but if anyone wants go critique or guess that would be extra lovely). Got 24 on my mock though.

znh

x

Munch

x

BryonieIV

x

You guys (and anyone else doing Donne/Faustus) do you reckon we could share essays *puppy eyes* Obviously I'll post my notes/essays as well to help :smile:
Reply 46
Charlisquigs

Wow!!! Thank you :smile:
Reply 47
Hey guys I'm also doing Donne and Faustus as well as Othello. I've done a couple of essays on each text individually as well as a comparative one on Donne and Faustus which I might put up later, though they aren't really good.

This exam is going to be the death of me- Faustus is ok, but difficult to link with most of John Donne's poems. As for Othello, im ok with grasping some quotes and thematic points but I'm a bit worried about having to mention stage productions- I haven't seen any of the best ones all the way through! :eek:
Reply 48
Charlisquigs
Ahhhhh thankyouuu. I am going to fail this exam. Is anyone doing John Donne and Duchess of Malfi? I have some pretty good notes. And I'm guessing everyone does Othello?

I AM! And struggling when it comes to comparing them!!! fancy sharing some notes!? :smile:
Munch,
I AM! And struggling when it comes to comparing them!!! fancy sharing some notes!? :smile:

Grrr I know they are really weird ones to compare, I always have so much to say on Malfi and nothing on Donne. I have a couple of revision sheets on Death, Sin and Religion?
Ohh and i forgot to say, for Othello I have an MP3 of the play with Lenny Henry as Othello! Not sure how to attach or send itunes mp3's though.
Reply 51
Charlisquigs
Ohh and i forgot to say, for Othello I have an MP3 of the play with Lenny Henry as Othello! Not sure how to attach or send itunes mp3's though.

You could upload it to megaupload.com and then copy and paste the upload link?
Jimmothy
Could you link me to those OCR pages please? I just had a look and the website is a little bit complicated. Either that or my Adobe is playing up :rolleyes: . It would be more than useful to find comparisons, I am finding it very difficult. Othello and Pardoner together would have been easier with the links between Iago and the Pardoner.

How have you gone about revising so far? I intend on re-reading the three texts, and I have found today that the introduction bit in the Pardoner is actually really insightful so that has helped me understand things a bit better :cool: .

http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/sm/ocr_13293_sm_gce_unit_f663.pdf

Here you go!
Reply 54
Charlisquigs
Grrr I know they are really weird ones to compare, I always have so much to say on Malfi and nothing on Donne. I have a couple of revision sheets on Death, Sin and Religion?

Ah that would be brilliant :smile:
I made some sheets comapring some key ideas between donne and malfi... not sure how useful they are as I made them myself haha but I could try and send them?
Yeah, I'm exactly the same! seems that there are hardly any people comparing those two too! grr indeed! x
I seem to be in a bit of a minority :frown:...I'm comparing 'The School for Scandal' with 'The Rape of the Lock' in the exam and it's really difficult to find any resources on them, apart from York Notes for SfS and the sheets that our teachers have given us! Is anyone else doing these two texts?!

Also - and this should be much easier for people to answer - does anyone know how exactly the AOs are weighted for both essays (Shakespeare + comparison of two pre-1800 texts)? I've been told that alternative views are really important for the former and that context and appreciation of genre are crucial for the latter, but could just do with a bit of clarification really...

All advice appreciated :smile:
Reply 56
red_roses

You guys (and anyone else doing Donne/Faustus) do you reckon we could share essays *puppy eyes* Obviously I'll post my notes/essays as well to help :smile:

All my notes/ essays are handwritten but I am going to type essays and plans to email to my teacher this week so I will put them up when I do them!!!

But for anyone needing urgent help, let me know and I will type the list of essays I have done so far and quickly type up the plan of/ ideas from the essay if you need it. I hope that makes sense!!!

x
Reply 57
CrazyYear
Hey guys I'm also doing Donne and Faustus as well as Othello. I've done a couple of essays on each text individually as well as a comparative one on Donne and Faustus which I might put up later, though they aren't really good.

This exam is going to be the death of me- Faustus is ok, but difficult to link with most of John Donne's poems. As for Othello, im ok with grasping some quotes and thematic points but I'm a bit worried about having to mention stage productions- I haven't seen any of the best ones all the way through! :eek:

Please put them up!!!!
Reply 58
Charlisquigs

Hey, is the essay in your notes? I can't find it, only the article by Bonnie Greer :s-smilie:

Help please!!!
Reply 59
It's a horrific exam, isn't it?

We're doing Othello and for section B, I'm comparing Faustus and The Pardoner's Tale.

Othello, for me, is okay: I've so far achieved a 27/30 on Othello's race, 29/30 on Othello's relationship with Desdemona and 25/30 on Iago's motives (in that order). I am a little apprehensive about the degree to which many see stage productions as complusory. The mark scheme doesn't mention them. Examiner's feedback mentions them in passing. They're not vitally important, and certainly not necessary. It will, however, be beneficial to show an understanding of Othello as a stage production rather than a text. Bring in productions to show how ideas can be conveyed differently - alternate interpretation is weighted heavily in the mark scheme. But even this can be achieved by looking at critical debates rather than stage productions. If you want to go with the latter, build it into a point rather than tenuously tacking it onto the end of a paragraph.

My comparison of Faustus and The Pardoner's Tale is a different story. It is easily the hardest part of any exam paper I have taken. So far I've been wavering around the 25/30 mark, which is worrying. I'm sure many will agree that the contexts don't correlate especially well. Further still, stylistically, the two texts are quite different. They also have a dense history of critical debate which is hard to get a head around!

Crossing fingers that days leading up to the 15th will be more productive.

Just one point - does anyone else think that the 2 hour time limit is somewhat unreasonable? I understand the need to write concisely, but with such obscure questions there really needs to be more time for planning. An extra half an hour would be great, and eliminate a lot of the problems with lack of clarity and 'direction' which I, and many others in my class, are currently experiencing in our writing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending