The Student Room Group

OCR A2 English Literature Exams - 15th June?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Ok here are my two essays to do with Othello and Donne/Faustus. My teachers gave both of these a B grade, so I'd look though them with a pinch of salt. :p:
CrazyYear
Ok here are my two essays to do with Othello and Donne/Faustus. My teachers gave both of these a B grade, so I'd look though them with a pinch of salt. :p:

Some excellent power points in the Othello question :wink:

I would have explored the power the male characters hold over the female (Othello over Desdemona, Iago over Emilia, Cassio over Bianca) and the power Iago holds over... Well... Everyone lol.
Reply 62
It looks like absolutely everyone is doing Othello. I'm actually feeling okay about that one, although getting mentions of performances in sounds SO contrived....! And then I'm comparing 'the school for scandal' with 'the rape of the lock'. Freaking out about that one.... Although at least they're both fairly two-dimensional.
Good luck everybody!
_Mir_
And then I'm comparing 'the school for scandal' with 'the rape of the lock'. Freaking out about that one.... Although at least they're both fairly two-dimensional.
Good luck everybody!

Me too! Wow, other people chose that option (SfS and TRotL) too! I am so terrified, would really like to get an A* but am worried that this comparison essay is going to drag me down. How's revision going for that? It's so hard to find any decent resources...I've just been using notes from class but they seem a bit inadequate! I've ordered the SfS YorkNotes though...hopefully they'll help!

Just a general note - I would also really recommend reading the Principal Examiner's report on the Jan session. It's on the OCR website and is really helpful r.e. exam technique and exactly what the markers are looking for.
Reply 64
how to people plan for their essays? i need an A tis year and am completely flopping
how do you guys strucutre a paragraph for othello?
Reply 65
finnyounger
Im doing Othello and comparative 'the Rover' by Behn and Poetry of John Donne. Bloody heck am i dreading the exam! My comparative texts are SO alternative there's like no study guides/internet articles or notable critics on them...they're all about perspectives on sex.

How many quotations you guys learning for Othello, slash what themes you going to learn quotations from?

for the rover there is some stuff online about different contemporary and modern views
mostly that in contemporary times she was seen as the foe of females and now the friend of females because of the feminist movement
Reply 66
Charlisquigs
Ahhhhh thankyouuu. I am going to fail this exam. Is anyone doing John Donne and Duchess of Malfi? I have some pretty good notes. And I'm guessing everyone does Othello?

Yes I am doing both those texts, trying to get lots of quotations for themes that appear in both texts, kinda struggling with much motivation tho...
Reply 67
kween21
how to people plan for their essays? i need an A tis year and am completely flopping
how do you guys strucutre a paragraph for othello?

Okay I hope this helps:

Let's just say we get this question:

'Desdemona and Emilia are depicted as too weak and easily decieved to be convincing characters.'

In light of this view, comment on Shakespeare's presentation of Desdemona and Emilia.

First section will be an introduction, which should contain:

Summary of the main debate, quoting a couple of critics.

Awareness of how interpretations are shaped by the language Shakespeare gives the characters but also by what is in the sub-text: ie. socio-historic context of play's performance

A summary of what you will discuss, in the order you plan to discuss it - this gives a balance sense of structure and coherence

So basically waht you're doing is getting the debate clear in your head and conveying your structure to the examiner with clarity (try and make intros verbally simplistic but not an the expense of depth of thought). Notice also how these points tick all the boxes for assessment objectives: language, context, difference in interpretation and clarity of writing.

Next paragraph: going against the assertion (the quote in the question). Apply the same process here:

[LIST]
[*]Make a language point
[*]Integrate it with a context point
[*]Use a critics quote to support YOUR view (keep it highly individual, not just a summary of the main argument)
[*]Find another example from elsewhere in the text that demonstrated the strength of both Desdemona and Emilia in equal measure. At some point try and get a detailed language point in. For example, in Act III, scene iv:

'They are all but stomachs and we are all but food;
They eat us hungerly, and when they are full,
They belch us.'

The repeated anaphora extends over three lines, creating an accumulating effect before the verse ruthlessly subsides to the blunt, mono-syllabic admission: 'They belch us.' The pathos of the lines draws the audience in to sympathise with women and how they were rendered subservient to men in late-sixteenth century society. But - to 21st century audiences, their lack of action against their male superiors can be percieved a weakness as in today's society women have more liberties.

Detailed language point, context, staging and difference of interpretation are all brought in here, applying to most assessment objectives.

Then - look at the argument which supports the quotation (in this case, that women are weak) and apply the same process. Evaluate the evidence of this viewpoint against the other so that you are constantly making judgements.

Conclusion

Don't just surmise what has already been written: immediately offer a judgement and bring in something new. For example, audience and purpose could be brought in here. You could say that Shakespeare had a record for portraying strong women (Cleopatra, Rosalind and Juliet, for example) and that D + E are certainly no exception. You could say that what others see as a weakness can conversley be percieved a strength - ie. their ignorance at the play's descent to evil is testament to their innocence of spirit and courage as the play descends to it's diabolically tragic end.

__

Please don't take my word as gospel! I am only relaying advice from my teachers and from the examiner's report. For the above essay I got 29/30 so the formula seemed to work.

Hope it helps!
[QUOTE="tsxmitw"]Okay I hope this helps:

'Desdemona and Emilia are depicted as too weak and easily decieved to be convincing characters.'

In light of this view, comment on Shakespeare's presentation of Desdemona and Emilia.

Awareness of how interpretations are shaped by the language Shakespeare gives the characters but also by what is in the sub-text: ie. socio-historic context of play's performance

A summary of what you will discuss, in the order you plan to discuss it - this gives a balance sense of structure and coherence

So basically waht you're doing is getting the debate clear in your head and conveying your structure to the examiner with clarity (try and make intros verbally simplistic but not an the expense of depth of thought). Notice also how these points tick all the boxes for assessment objectives: language, context, difference in interpretation and clarity of writing.

Next paragraph: going against the assertion (the quote in the question). Apply the same process here:

Make a language point

Integrate it with a context point

Use a critics quote to support YOUR view (keep it highly individual, not just a summary of the main argument)

Find another example from elsewhere in the text that demonstrated the strength of both Desdemona and Emilia in equal measure. At some point try and get a detailed language point in. For example, in Act III, scene iv:

They belch us.'

The repeated anaphora extends over three lines, creating an accumulating effect before the verse ruthlessly subsides to the blunt, mono-syllabic admission: 'They belch us.' The pathos of the lines draws the audience in to sympathise with women and how they were rendered subservient to men in late-sixteenth century society. But - to 21st century audiences, their lack of action against their male superiors can be percieved a weakness as in today's society women have more liberties.

Detailed language point, context, staging and difference of interpretation are all brought in here, applying to most assessment objectives.

Then - look at the argument which supports the quotation (in this case, that women are weak) and apply the same process. Evaluate the evidence of this viewpoint against the other so that you are constantly making judgements.

Conclusion

Don't just surmise what has already been written: immediately offer a judgement and bring in something new. For example, audience and purpose could be brought in here. You could say that Shakespeare had a record for portraying strong women (Cleopatra, Rosalind and Juliet, for example) and that D + E are certainly no exception. You could say that what others see as a weakness can conversley be percieved a strength - ie. their ignorance at the play's descent to evil is testament to their innocence of spirit and courage as the play descends to it's diabolically tragic end.

__

Please don't take my word as gospel! I am only relaying advice from my teachers and from the examiner's report. For the above essay I got 29/30 so the formula seemed to work.

Hope it helps!

Oh my god.
I am going to fail.
Reply 69
Munch,
Ah that would be brilliant :smile:
I made some sheets comapring some key ideas between donne and malfi... not sure how useful they are as I made them myself haha but I could try and send them?
Yeah, I'm exactly the same! seems that there are hardly any people comparing those two too! grr indeed! x

Any Donne/Webster comparative ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply 70
[QUOTE="tsxmitw"]Okay I hope this helps:

Make a language point

Integrate it with a context point

Use a critics quote to support YOUR view (keep it highly individual, not just a summary of the main argument)

Find another example from elsewhere in the text that demonstrated the strength of both Desdemona and Emilia in equal measure. At some point try and get a detailed language point in. For example, in Act III, scene iv:

They belch us.'

Conclusion

__

Hope it helps!

wow thanks so mucH! tottally clears it up!
btw how many for and against points do you normally make? do you have any exam questions? i have like none left and need to practice more essays
btw any chance I could read one of your essays, if you dont mind, just to see how you make it flow? if you dont mind :smile:

thanks anyway!!! well done for ur 29! ur gna do well in the exam :smile:
Anyone else have some sample Othello questions?
Reply 73
kween21
wow thanks so mucH! tottally clears it up!
btw how many for and against points do you normally make? do you have any exam questions? i have like none left and need to practice more essays
btw any chance I could read one of your essays, if you dont mind, just to see how you make it flow? if you dont mind :smile:

thanks anyway!!! well done for ur 29! ur gna do well in the exam :smile:

Glad I could help. Unfortunately the essay was handwritten so I can't put it up here.

Here are some practices ones that I have come across...

1. Iago "rewrites" Othello: a play which begins as a romantic comedy, but which ends as a tragedy.'

Evaluate the relationship between tragedy and comedy in Othello in light of this comment.

[My opinion: an absolute horror of question.]

2. Othello has been described as 'fatally self-centred' and 'lacking in self knowledge.'

Evaluate Shakespeare's presentation of Othello in light of this view.

3. By considering the dramatic structure and effects of Othello, evaluate the view that 'the power of the play derives from an agonising sense of inevitability.'

[This is basically evaluating the tragic qualities of the play.]

---

I'll try and post some more if I find them.

Lots of luck to everyone! Just be thankful you're studying such a great subject that advocates free, liberal thinking (unlike sciences!) We're all beautiful people for taking lit.
Reply 74
Charlisquigs
Oh my god.
I am going to fail.

Ditto.
Reply 75
Doing Othello & Duchess of Malfi with Donne

I'M SO SCARED.
My teacher has taught us nothing at all, she has struggled with Donne herself.

Anyone have any good stuff with Malfi and Donne, or essays will really appreciate it.
CrazyYear

Thank you :smile: +ve rep to you.
Reply 77
red_roses
Thank you :smile: +ve rep to you.

No problem. Glad it is of help to people! :biggrin:
Reply 78
Right, I have some sample Othello questions from 2000-2004 OCR papers. A bit out of date, but they look just as relevant as any others:

1. How important are honour and reputation to the characterisation and concerns of the play?

2. Is it adequate to say that Othello's tragedy is caused by jealousy?

3. How far do you agree that Othello's self-doubt and insecurity are the main causes for his downfall?

4. As a director, how would you wish to present Iago in a production of the play? :s-smilie:

5. In what ways do you think the relationship between Desdemona and Othello affects, and is affected by, Othello's public position?

A bit of variety there, hope they prove helpful! Also, thanks to all of the contributors on this thread, all of it's really useful, particular stuff related to the Pardoner's Tale.
Reply 79
roses55
Doing Othello & Duchess of Malfi with Donne

I'M SO SCARED.
My teacher has taught us nothing at all, she has struggled with Donne herself.

Anyone have any good stuff with Malfi and Donne, or essays will really appreciate it.

We're definately in the same boat here.
No idea how to compare Donne and Malfi... and Othello is just getting ridiculous now. I thought I knew it well but evidently not.

How many quotes will you learn for each text?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending