The Student Room Group

OCR A2 English Literature Exams - 15th June?

Scroll to see replies

Amywoody2009
thanks alot for the calculations!! I don't know my exact coursework mark, she just gave it back to me as 30/40 then i could make final ammendments, so the mark may have gone up slightly when they moderated, no idea lol and what you've said is more reassuring, I think my twelfth night went quite well i chose the malvolio question, i talked about the conflict between him and sir toby and how they are both concerned with their social status lol and how malvolio gets taken for a fool by maria and sir topaz in the tormenting scene, lol i tried to put in as much critic points and A04 as possible so i don't think it went tooo bad, but i am just really freaking out about the faustus/pardoner, when it came to half way they told us to move on to the next question, but i was just finishing twelfth night conclusion so got behind and rushed the plan!! i was panicking, so couldn't really think straight, i think my plan was a disaster, i started off by picking the same question as you then i changed to the last question about pride and whether this is closely linked with foolishness :[ from what you've said about the question you chose, i swear our teacher read from the examinors report that the best interpretations weren't necceassirly focusing too closely on the question? I thought that was just meant to point you in the right direction for your argument, so i reckon the way you did it was fine, i am sure that question was something like is wrong doing more attractive than the fear of consequence( my verison undoubtely doesn't make sense hahah) and i think it was hard to compare/contrast them too, i seriously don't think i put many quotes in.. i remember doing an intro which turned into a paragraph comparing/contrasting right at the very start which didn't even have any context/ language or anything in it haha i remember getting to the end and going crazy trying to think of language points (even though i know that was only 5 marks haha) and i also went back and tried to put in some compare and contrast language :frown: on the marking scheme ive got for the different bands of answers the best arguments didn't lose track.. which mine did half the time!! i just waffled on loads i don't even know what i compared/contrasted to be honest :frown: i also think the time limit was a bit harsh :frown: n i couldn't quote pardoners tale, i probably quoted like half sentences!! before the exam i tried to learn way too many quotes, so i had my head filled with so many different quotes, when it came to it my mind went blank, didn't know which one was appropriate or anything :frown: GRRRR are you doing english lit at uni?? what are you hoping to get? x

Hmm I've realised that I never do any written plans at all, I just think of them in my head. Hmm. And I hope what you say is true about the quote/question, and they won't mark me down too much for focussing only on the quote, but I like to fear the worst about everything in life
What's done has been done now, I suppose, nothing will change. SIGH.
Yep, I applied for English Lit this year, and my offer from Lancaster is conditional upon gaining an A in English Literature. I've already got my other grades, (gap year) so it's just the English, but stupidly I only applied for unis that want A in English, so I got other offers but have no insurance.
I've spent today looking at potential unis for clearing :'-(
~flutterby~
Hmm I've realised that I never do any written plans at all, I just think of them in my head. Hmm. And I hope what you say is true about the quote/question, and they won't mark me down too much for focussing only on the quote, but I like to fear the worst about everything in life
What's done has been done now, I suppose, nothing will change. SIGH.
Yep, I applied for English Lit this year, and my offer from Lancaster is conditional upon gaining an A in English Literature. I've already got my other grades, (gap year) so it's just the English, but stupidly I only applied for unis that want A in English, so I got other offers but have no insurance.
I've spent today looking at potential unis for clearing :'-(

If you need an A, you should be predicted a high grade! I am sure you will be fine, alot of people seem to expect the worst. I used to say I'd like to do english at uni, I got two A's for GCSE but from then on I just went down hill :frown: :frown: I think I panicked too much and AS and probably at A2 as well, oh well as you say its impossible to change it :frown: I am just avoiding thinking about university at the moment, whenever my family bring it up I just keep quiet, I have got to pay for CRB police check as well for Brighton (my first choice) so its going to seem a complete waste If I don't even go!!! lol I think this site makes it worse though, everyone is talking about exams so probably makes us more stressed!!!! lol
my teacher said to us failing to plan is planning to fail haha :frown: I don't suppose that is true for everyone though, it is so hard to make a plan within a 5/10 time span like we had in the exam!
Reply 883
Amywoody2009
my teacher said to us failing to plan is planning to fail haha :frown: I don't suppose that is true for everyone though, it is so hard to make a plan within a 5/10 time span like we had in the exam!

My teacher asked if anyone in our class planned essays, before the exam. I was the only one who did plans. There were people who got As last year in my class, also, who don't plan.

I think it depends on the way you write essays. I just use plans so that I won't forget what I need to write next. As I tend to get a rush of ideas as soon as I see the question, so I need to write them down.
Tbh I don't think planning would have made a difference to the way I perfomed - the points I wanted to make for the Malvolio one were quite organised in my mind, due to recent revision on that particular topic.
The second one - the comparasion - I think went so badly firstly because I feel I missed the point of the question (in retrospection) and secondly didn't have enough time to really wrap anything up, so using up precious minutes on a plan would probably have only lost me more marks.

I don't think a plan would have helped the actual standard of my essays, I'm just worried that they'll think 'oh, stupid girl hasn't planned, and her essay's a bit rubbish, lets make a connection and mark her down' :frown:

I got a letter from ucas in the post today about clearing which REALLY cheered me up :ahee:
I kind of planned, but didn't really refer to it to be honest, just made it up as I went along :[
What are you hoping to do at uni Amywoody2009? Something to do with dealing with the public, if you need a CRB disclosure?
Reply 887
~flutterby~
Tbh I don't think planning would have made a difference to the way I perfomed - the points I wanted to make for the Malvolio one were quite organised in my mind, due to recent revision on that particular topic.
The second one - the comparasion - I think went so badly firstly because I feel I missed the point of the question (in retrospection) and secondly didn't have enough time to really wrap anything up, so using up precious minutes on a plan would probably have only lost me more marks.

I don't think a plan would have helped the actual standard of my essays, I'm just worried that they'll think 'oh, stupid girl hasn't planned, and her essay's a bit rubbish, lets make a connection and mark her down' :frown:

I got a letter from ucas in the post today about clearing which REALLY cheered me up :ahee:

I always do my plans on the question paper anyway, so the examiner would never be able to tell if I planned it or not. So I wouldn't worry about that.

I got that letter the other day also. It was lovely.

Seriously though, stop threating, there's nothing you can do now, so it's best to just to enjoy your summer as much as you can and relax and just worry on 18th-19th August. :wink:
Shall do. :smile:

But when it is confirmed that I have failed on the 19th August and I'm contemplating jumping off a cliff, I'll pop back into this thread, have a good bawl, and say a fond farewell to the world.
What kind of A02 stuff did you discuss for the malvolio question?? some of the quotes had words in them which had double meanings, so quite alot of the time i talked about the meaning and the effect but not sure whether that would be AO2?! is AO2 just analytical methods like rhyming couplet, vowel sounds, metaphors etc?
Have you got an insurance choice? x
Amywoody2009

I don't think AO2 has to be technical stuff, I think it can be any close analysis of the text. The double meanings might fall into 'different interpretations of the text' in AO3, but if its could be counted as AO2. I'm not sure tbh.

No, I don't have an insurance (regret it now). I think I reasoned that if I wasn't capable of getting an A at A level, I shouldn't be doing English at degree level, therefore only applied to unis wanting A's. Fml.

You haven't said what you're hoping to do at uni? :smile:
I am doing primary education at either Brighton (my first choice) or Reading!

and I would be worried If I hadn't had an insurance! xx
~flutterby~
And the dress idea is actually an excellent one, greeneyedgirl, I might do it with clothes/a bag/nice shoes or something. I might lose my uni place, but I'll look down and see nice shoes.

exactly! it shows how much better your life is :smile:
Reply 894
Ahhh I want results day to hurry up, just because the waiting is killing me!
Reply 895
Original post by Geek_Pride

Original post by Geek_Pride
Yay! Someone doing the same texts as me :smile:

I haven't got any sites comparing the two texts, but I agree sparknotes is brilliant for Faustus.

Oh. On the OCR website, I think there is certain themes OCR wants the teacher to cover like Death, pursuit of power etc. I printed it all off, its really useful to find comparisons.

i know youve probably already done this and im sure you did very well"" im don othello,Dr faustus and the pardoner....could you tell where all the things the teacher sposed to cover is on the Ocr website coz i couldnt find it.

as well as this is there anything that u recommend i do in terms of the texts, Currently revising for my AS,. so i need help coz lets just say im not the best!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending