The Student Room Group

OCR A2 English Literature Exams - 15th June?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
AspiringLinguist
How's revision going for that? It's so hard to find any decent resources...I've just been using notes from class but they seem a bit inadequate! I've ordered the SfS YorkNotes though...hopefully they'll help!

I can't find anything to help with SfS, which is pretty apt considering how linear the play is in general.... apart from a tv version on youtube, and some things from the edinburgh festival last year, which are interesting at least.... (if not so helpful!)

RoL is on sparknotes, which is kind of helpful. I'm not sure how much study guides can help in general though. I think both essays are so based on criticism which you have to synthesize into your own argument. YAY.
Reply 81
Does anyone know how many quotes we should know for each text? Shakespeare, Poetry, Play...?
Obviously the Shakespeare needs critics quotes too - they can't expect us to learn loads - there are three texts... can they?!
Reply 82
Munch,
Does anyone know how many quotes we should know for each text? Shakespeare, Poetry, Play...?
Obviously the Shakespeare needs critics quotes too - they can't expect us to learn loads - there are three texts... can they?!

just makes sure you have like atleast two or three quotes you can use for each theme
best thing is to true and find quotes that u can use in about two or three themes
with critics, i think knowing the quotes word for word wont be so important as an explanation of their ideas, even if u paraphrase but can include a name would be better than saying the wrong quote in the wrong place if you know what i mean
_Mir_
RoL is on sparknotes, which is kind of helpful. I'm not sure how much study guides can help in general though. I think both essays are so based on criticism which you have to synthesize into your own argument. YAY.

I'm mainly buying the revision guide because York Notes normally have a section on criticism and that's what I really need :s-smilie:. We also need lots of context though,which I hope it will have. Fun times.

Good luck, anyway. :yes:
Reply 84
Munch,

The poetry/prose is more heavily weighted for A03 and A04 while Shakespeare is more heavily weighted A01 and A02.

Nooooooonononono, the Shakespeare is weighted towards AO2 and AO3, AO1 is pretty much a given, if you don't have any of that you're screwed
Reply 85
Charlisquigs
I have a pretty good essay on Othello which presents his character as revealing the tragic flaws in the audience ect? Could help a bit.

I know this is the second time I have asked, but I am desperate for a sample character essay! Please put it up!!!!!!!
Munch,

For Shakespeare, I am planning to have two/three for each theme, because AO2 (along with AO3) is really important. I'm also going to try and integrate one-word quotes e.g. how Othello always describes Iago with the epithet 'honest', because - don't hold me to this - I'm pretty sure that the board likes them.

With my other two texts, it's a lot trickier...:eek3:
Reply 87
hazza7000
Nooooooonononono, the Shakespeare is weighted towards AO2 and AO3, AO1 is pretty much a given, if you don't have any of that you're screwed

:s-smilie: thats not what the info from the examiners reports say im pretty sure unless i just wrote it the wrong way round haha ill checkkkk :smile:
Reply 88
kween21
just makes sure you have like atleast two or three quotes you can use for each theme
best thing is to true and find quotes that u can use in about two or three themes
with critics, i think knowing the quotes word for word wont be so important as an explanation of their ideas, even if u paraphrase but can include a name would be better than saying the wrong quote in the wrong place if you know what i mean

Yeah, thank you :smile: could you suggest some quotes maybe? x
Reply 89
Munch,
We're definitely in the same boat here.
No idea how to compare Donne and Malfi... and Othello is just getting ridiculous now. I thought I knew it well but evidently not.

How many quotes will you learn for each text?

Aaah, good to know someone shares my misery.

Well, i'm planning to do about 6ish poems and link the duchess to the poems, as their are less themes in the poems. Just learn the quotes that make comparisons with Duchess.
But i'm stuck with Donne.

For Othello, i've split into themes. will learn abot 4/5 for each theme and 2/3 critics each theme.

Hopefully that works
znh
I know this is the second time I have asked, but I am desperate for a sample character essay! Please put it up!!!!!!!

Oh gosh I'm sorry, I wont be able to get it until next week, its at school on my pc, I'll put it up when I can!
Reply 91
Munch,
Yeah, thank you :smile: could you suggest some quotes maybe? x

for othello its not as easy as it is for my comparative study texts, but here are some of the quotes i think are useful

race one: 'the beast that makes two backs'
its a simple quote and you can only really link it to the idea of race but its a good one for ao2 because of the sexual imagery (two backs as in when some1 has sex they face each other...erghh lol) and the metaphor used to make othello animalistic which is then also foreshadow his behaviour later on. also, its ironic coz the beast is really iago coz be he is the evil one

women:
'they are the stomachs, and we are but the food
they eat us hungrely, and when they are done
they belch us' (along those lines)

you can talk about the patriarchal ways of society, control and its an extended metaphor also good for analysis

'we call these pretty creatures ours but not their appitites'

'half the wooer'
its a short quote but shows the equality between the pair and how ideolistic is seems even to modern audiences, link this with how both of them are the outcasts of society and desdemona's fight for independance

Iago:
'i am not what I am'
'my ancient: a man of honesty'
this one is good coz it brings in the idea of iago being honest and the way Othello leads his life as a solider, he calls iago his ancient and not his friend showing his trust from him stems from his job as a soldier not as a man...this is a good point when talking about othello and his lack of self knowledge
Reply 92
kween21
for othello its not as easy as it is for my comparative study texts, but here are some of the quotes i think are useful

race one: 'the beast that makes two backs'
its a simple quote and you can only really link it to the idea of race but its a good one for ao2 because of the sexual imagery (two backs as in when some1 has sex they face each other...erghh lol) and the metaphor used to make othello animalistic which is then also foreshadow his behaviour later on. also, its ironic coz the beast is really iago coz be he is the evil one

women:
'they are the stomachs, and we are but the food
they eat us hungrely, and when they are done
they belch us' (along those lines)

you can talk about the patriarchal ways of society, control and its an extended metaphor also good for analysis

'we call these pretty creatures ours but not their appitites'

'half the wooer'
its a short quote but shows the equality between the pair and how ideolistic is seems even to modern audiences, link this with how both of them are the outcasts of society and desdemona's fight for independance

Iago:
'i am not what I am'
'my ancient: a man of honesty'
this one is good coz it brings in the idea of iago being honest and the way Othello leads his life as a solider, he calls iago his ancient and not his friend showing his trust from him stems from his job as a soldier not as a man...this is a good point when talking about othello and his lack of self knowledge

Ah thank you thank you :smile: I had some along those lines, I keep wanting to learn reallllly long ones but dont think thats what the examiners want really... like they just want it to make sure youre 'indepth' with the text or whatever haha.
Yes, sexual imagery is always fun in lessons :/

Im actually finding it harder for my comparative ones. I literally had a break down last night panicing abou this exam. grr.
Reply 93
Munch,
Ah thank you thank you :smile: I had some along those lines, I keep wanting to learn reallllly long ones but dont think thats what the examiners want really... like they just want it to make sure youre 'indepth' with the text or whatever haha.
Yes, sexual imagery is always fun in lessons :/

Im actually finding it harder for my comparative ones. I literally had a break down last night panicing abou this exam. grr.

what are your comparative texts? i think the examiners purposfully chose texts that are hard to find interepretations and contextual stuff

i would make a list of the similar features of both texts whether its contextual stuff or literary and find quotes for those different comparative parts
think of it the same as othello, only two sets of quotes into one essay
dont panic, thats the worst you can do
! good luck!
Reply 94
kween21
what are your comparative texts? i think the examiners purposfully chose texts that are hard to find interepretations and contextual stuff

i would make a list of the similar features of both texts whether its contextual stuff or literary and find quotes for those different comparative parts
think of it the same as othello, only two sets of quotes into one essay
dont panic, thats the worst you can do
! good luck!

Ah I knowww people say fear is good, but I dont think this level of fear is healthy hahaha, my hairs gonna turn grey at this rate!!!
Yusssss, its just making it clear in my head, im just worried that ive not got enough time left, but i guess you can learn alot in a week and a half right!? :smile: Along with two other subjects :wink: oh dearrrr.
Im doing Donne and the Duchess of Malfi - love the play but Im sure my teacher wasnt even sure on the poems herself :/
you?
Reply 95
hazza7000

You're right I completely wrote it down wrong literally just copied it wrong off the sheet - this bodes well with an exam looming...
Reply 96
Munch,
Ah I knowww people say fear is good, but I dont think this level of fear is healthy hahaha, my hairs gonna turn grey at this rate!!!
Yusssss, its just making it clear in my head, im just worried that ive not got enough time left, but i guess you can learn alot in a week and a half right!? :smile: Along with two other subjects :wink: oh dearrrr.
Im doing Donne and the Duchess of Malfi - love the play but Im sure my teacher wasnt even sure on the poems herself :/
you?

im doing the rape of the lock and the rover
im happy with it just as long as a question on women, vanity or beauty comes up! im praying it does
im ok with doing other topics that im confident with women
its an easy topic to do :smile:
Does anyone have the mark scheme? Have lost mine, and I badly need it!
Reply 98
Charlisquigs
Does anyone have the mark scheme? Have lost mine, and I badly need it!

go onto the website, it should be in the specification
Reply 99
Do we need to know critics views for the comparison essay (not the Othello one)?

Help? :o:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending