Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
gzftan
Oh yeah..lol..whoops...my brain isn't working properly :tongue:

G

Don't worry, you've still got one month to put it back on the way :biggrin:
Reply 41
sjoshi64
Apparently yes. Quite a few students told me they have seen him around a fair bit. His office is just inside the main court I think. A student also told me someone once tried to 'penny' Stephen Hawking at formal hall, although that sounds like a myth...

Apparently he's a real git. Almost ran over my friend with his buggy thing...
Reply 42
i have been summoned? :biggrin:

expenses - moderately high, why? dinner tickets. at slightly less than 5 quid per dinner, and 45 compulsory dinners, compared to an average Kitchen Fixed Charge at other colleges of 80 to 120 quid a term... then again, the KFC doesn't come with any food... :rolleyes: still, that's over 200 quid a term compulsory spending, when student cooking is usually a lot cheaper than that.

rent is quite average - by and large HC rents fluctuate between 650 and 720 quid a term for 10 weeks rent. there are exceptions - get the ex-room of the Saudi prince (rumoured to be the largest in cambridge, and certainly capable of accomodating a game of badminton...), and expect to pay 800+.

suicide? not that i know of. rumours of 1 girl who dropped out of her finals in college this year, but that's about it. we do have a nice tower overlooking market square though, for those so inclined... :biggrin:

pressure cooker? DOSes and supervisors do like to make sure you are on top of your work, unlike some friends at other colleges who are pretty much left to their own devices throughout the year (and get a certain sinking feeling in easter)... nowhere near the reputation of Christ's though.

i think lately john's has been taking the lead in terms of student costs - attributed to poor college finances and the powers-that-be taking out their financial frustrations on the students :rolleyes: same happened at king's, but the students fought back :eek: , and won!
Reply 43
Ticki

sat 5 metres from him before during a formal...

does have a reputation for being a speed freak on his wheels.

generally agreed upon account of events: 2 drunken binsonites pennied the poor man during a formal. got a hefty (few hundred?) pound fine imposed on them and a lifelong ban from caius hall for their heroics. has been attributed to other colleges too, though most sources agree on 'binson. more extreme versions of myth says that entire student population of 'binson is no longer welcome at caius hall, though i'm quite certain this is not true.
Reply 44
yumi
brought up an old thread, didn't i...
if u guys are still here around the forum or there is anyone who knows about it, can u give some ideas about what the interview for Econ would be like in Caius and if the TSA really rates in the Admission process?

I'll be going to Caius for Econ this October, and took the TSA - it wasn't too bad, but the interview does require preparation. I can tell you a lot about both, so PM me with your email address if you want?
I liked Harvey Court when I stayed there - and by that I just mean the big window-door thingys that you could just step out from onto the balcony; imagine that in summer, all sitting outside etc. BUT they had no central heating... so i had to ask the porter for a portable heater... its a good job they pooled me now, because I'm not the hardest of workers, so I probably wouldn't have survived at Caius; and compulsory dinners... at that price? wow, no one told me about that; well, fitz will do me fine i guess hehe.

But i loved the hall; i sat there eating, i was a-thinking "ahh well, surely there's not THAT MUCH pressure to achieve at this college?" and then i looked up and saw this big-assed portrait of Stephen Hawking; no reputation... no pressure to acheive...

I wonder which achievers fitz has produced?

But anyway everyone, very well done on getting into Caius, I'm no expert, but it sounds like a damn prestigious place to be at !
Reply 46
KHL and Aleem....ta for the info....cleared up a few things for me:smile:

Still haven't got my freshers pack though..I WANT IT NOWWWWWW!!!!

G
Reply 47
Ticki

My friend said exactly the same thing :biggrin:
Reply 48
Acaila
My friend said exactly the same thing :biggrin:

Lol..well..i'll let you guys know what i think of him :tongue:

G
Reply 49
KHL
i have been summoned? :biggrin:

expenses - moderately high, why? dinner tickets. at slightly less than 5 quid per dinner, and 45 compulsory dinners, compared to an average Kitchen Fixed Charge at other colleges of 80 to 120 quid a term... then again, the KFC doesn't come with any food... :rolleyes: still, that's over 200 quid a term compulsory spending, when student cooking is usually a lot cheaper than that.

rent is quite average - by and large HC rents fluctuate between 650 and 720 quid a term for 10 weeks rent. there are exceptions - get the ex-room of the Saudi prince (rumoured to be the largest in cambridge, and certainly capable of accomodating a game of badminton...), and expect to pay 800+.

suicide? not that i know of. rumours of 1 girl who dropped out of her finals in college this year, but that's about it. we do have a nice tower overlooking market square though, for those so inclined... :biggrin:

pressure cooker? DOSes and supervisors do like to make sure you are on top of your work, unlike some friends at other colleges who are pretty much left to their own devices throughout the year (and get a certain sinking feeling in easter)... nowhere near the reputation of Christ's though.

i think lately john's has been taking the lead in terms of student costs - attributed to poor college finances and the powers-that-be taking out their financial frustrations on the students :rolleyes: same happened at king's, but the students fought back :eek: , and won!

Thanks, that's really useful information that I haven'd heard anywhere else - and I've been reading about Caius for over an year now, before and after I applied last year! I'm wondering, how does first year room selection work? Are there price categories and you pick one? Or is there a list of rooms with differing prices and you pick one of those? Or what?

thanks,
Reply 50
sjoshi64
Thanks, that's really useful information that I haven'd heard anywhere else - and I've been reading about Caius for over an year now, before and after I applied last year! I'm wondering, how does first year room selection work? Are there price categories and you pick one? Or is there a list of rooms with differing prices and you pick one of those? Or what?

thanks,

random lottery, actually. sometime in september you will get a thick wad of papers containing a million things to fill out, pay for, read about, etc. - all rather exciting, as i remember.

if you're really strapped for cash or something, just ring the tutorial office to request for a low rent room, otherwise you'll be put into the great big first-year accoms lottery like everybody else. some get lucky, others don't get a network point :rolleyes:
Reply 51
KHL
random lottery, actually. sometime in september you will get a thick wad of papers containing a million things to fill out, pay for, read about, etc. - all rather exciting, as i remember.

if you're really strapped for cash or something, just ring the tutorial office to request for a low rent room, otherwise you'll be put into the great big first-year accoms lottery like everybody else. some get lucky, others don't get a network point :rolleyes:

So there's no way to show preferences? That's seems a bit annoying, seeing as some people care about ensuite bathrooms more than nice views and others care more about space than ethernet ports.

Latest

Trending

Trending