The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

danc2005
Wycombe and Brentford do seem to be doing swapsies with each other. What with Foster, Strevens and Bull coming our way and Woodman and McCracken (Ok, not directly to Brentford, but still :p: ) going your way. Will be interesting to see how they all turn out.

Haha yeah. I'm gutted you've got Foster, he's quality. Won't miss Bull and undecided on Strevens. What do you make of Woodman and McCracken?
Reply 5261
Jangrafess
Haha yeah. I'm gutted you've got Foster, he's quality. Won't miss Bull and undecided on Strevens. What do you make of Woodman and McCracken?

Woodman is more of a steady eddy player. He was consistently good through the 08/09 season in League 2 but had his ups and downs last season; some games he was good, some games he really wasn't.

Personally, I've ever been a fan of McCracken. He's a tall strong defender, but he was prone to faffing around with the ball, leading to some very near mistakes. Wycombe seemed to lose any respect for him when he joined MK Dons :P:

Are you going to the Brentford vs Wycombe friendly?
NCFCchris
Your away kit last year was well good! You going to be making the trip to Meadow Lane on the opening day?

Well, you'll probably see it again next month, presuming it will be our third kit this year.
I won't be there, I'll be travelling somewhere in France, unfortunately! It's a shame, because it's been literally years since I've been to Meadow Lane (2001, failed P/O season). It's a ground I've been looking forward to going back to, too...
Tchaparian
Well, you'll probably see it again next month, presuming it will be our third kit this year.
I won't be there, I'll be travelling somewhere in France, unfortunately! It's a shame, because it's been literally years since I've been to Meadow Lane (2001, failed P/O season). It's a ground I've been looking forward to going back to, too...

Tis a nice stadium. I won't be expecting anything from the game despite our brilliant home form last year. 1 defeat all year to Accrington. Still remember our last day survival game, 15k, what a game!
Well we've played 1 friendly so far, at Mansfield and we lost 0-1 but more worrying, a new signing got injured. No news on what the injury is but he was stretchered off. :frown: Hope it's not a sign of things to come, we had loads of injuries last season, more than I've ever known it so please not again.
Anyone going to any pre season friendly games? I don't usually but I'm going to see us at home to Estudiantes as I'm going to be in Leeds for the weekend so can go back via Sheffield on the Sunday. Only £5 a ticket so not too bad.
I'm off to Kevin O'Connor's testimonial against Fulham tomorrow. Gutted for you having the new signing injured, that happened with us last pre-season too. Ben Strevens never recovered fully and we've sold him now. :frown:
Jangrafess
I'm off to Kevin O'Connor's testimonial against Fulham tomorrow. Gutted for you having the new signing injured, that happened with us last pre-season too. Ben Strevens never recovered fully and we've sold him now. :frown:

It's Simon Walton who we've given a chance after him having a bad time recently and not settling anywhere. Warnock did this with a lot of players, revived their careers after them having a bad time of it elsewhere. Hope he's ok, no news as yet.
He's only on loan though for the season. :yep:

Enjoy the testitmonial. :smile:
Reply 5267
Our pre-season is rubbish this year, all the away games from now on are miles away. The only local away game was on Wednesday vs Askern Villa but it clashed with the Germany vs Spain semi-final. :facepalm:
Reply 5268
Hi all, an Ipswich fan here! :smile:
paulb79
Hi all, an Ipswich fan here! :smile:

Hello, what do you think of Roy Keane? My OH is an Ipswich fan and he didn't want him appointed in the first place, never mind stay after the results you had. Do you get to games? I get dragged along to the odd few on the North Stand and a few away from home! :o:
Reply 5270
ipswichblade
Hello, what do you think of Roy Keane? My OH is an Ipswich fan and he didn't want him appointed in the first place, never mind stay after the results you had. Do you get to games? I get dragged along to the odd few on the North Stand and a few away from home! :o:

Ahh, Roy Keane. The sooner he is sacked or leaves the better IMO! I was stunned when he was appointed as Ipswich manager - he's a character that doesn't fit into the "Ipswich way" of doing things.

I have been a season ticket holder at Ipswich for several years now, but haven't renewed this year as I am going off to university. Some of the "football" last season was woeful and totally inept at times, i.e. last home game against Sheffield United. Goodness knows what this season will bring, especially as no new signings seem to be on the horizon and we have gaps in the squad after Keane let a few players go.

What did you make of Ipswich in the games you saw?
paulb79
Ahh, Roy Keane. The sooner he is sacked or leaves the better IMO! I was stunned when he was appointed as Ipswich manager - he's a character that doesn't fit into the "Ipswich way" of doing things.

I have been a season ticket holder at Ipswich for several years now, but haven't renewed this year as I am going off to university. Some of the "football" last season was woeful and totally inept at times, i.e. last home game against Sheffield United. Goodness knows what this season will bring, especially as no new signings seem to be on the horizon and we have gaps in the squad after Keane let a few players go.

What did you make of Ipswich in the games you saw?

Yep, I didn't think you should have appointed him either but there we go.

I've been "following" Ipswich since early 2007 but have seen you play (at Bramall Lane and Portman Road-must have been as an away fan to Portman Road about 6 times now) since I started going to Blades games in 2001. I can honestly say, that last season at your place was the worst Ipswich team and performance I've seen. Not only did we win in a nothing game, but we won with such ease at a ground we hadn't won at since the 70s!
We played well, was a great day for me personally but you were awful!
In contrast-I went to your game at Newcastle and you played very well although you have to take into consideration Newcastle were already promoted! Strange still though.
I didn't go to the game at Bramall Lane but I was told you should have won and it took an injury time equaliser to stop that. It was quite early on, who knows what would have happened to your season if you hadn't let in the late equaliser.
Reply 5272
ipswichblade
Yep, I didn't think you should have appointed him either but there we go.

I've been "following" Ipswich since early 2007 but have seen you play (at Bramall Lane and Portman Road-must have been as an away fan to Portman Road about 6 times now) since I started going to Blades games in 2001. I can honestly say, that last season at your place was the worst Ipswich team and performance I've seen. Not only did we win in a nothing game, but we won with such ease at a ground we hadn't won at since the 70s!
We played well, was a great day for me personally but you were awful!
In contrast-I went to your game at Newcastle and you played very well although you have to take into consideration Newcastle were already promoted! Strange still though.
I didn't go to the game at Bramall Lane but I was told you should have won and it took an injury time equaliser to stop that. It was quite early on, who knows what would have happened to your season if you hadn't let in the late equaliser.

I actually walked out of that final game after 75 minutes, and I had never ever left a game early before. I was just disgusted by what I was seeing. It was staggering the number of people who had done the same though, it was chaos outside with people making an early early exit!

Several of my mates went to Newcastle and they say the same, that we played really well up there and matched Newcastle, although they were probably in cruise control having been promoted. Very up and down are Ipswich!

There's no doubt that the shocking start impacted the whole season. I doubt anyone would have expected a Roy Keane team to go 15 matches without winning at the start! In some ways its a wonder that Ipswich finished comfortably clear of relegation in the end, as I really did think we were heading to League One at times.
paulb79
I actually walked out of that final game after 75 minutes, and I had never ever left a game early before. I was just disgusted by what I was seeing. It was staggering the number of people who had done the same though, it was chaos outside with people making an early early exit!

Several of my mates went to Newcastle and they say the same, that we played really well up there and matched Newcastle, although they were probably in cruise control having been promoted. Very up and down are Ipswich!

There's no doubt that the shocking start impacted the whole season. I doubt anyone would have expected a Roy Keane team to go 15 matches without winning at the start! In some ways its a wonder that Ipswich finished comfortably clear of relegation in the end, as I really did think we were heading to League One at times.

I've never left a game early but I guess I am pretty lucky as I haven't had too many bad seasons through out the time I have been going. Either that, or I'm more of a mug than I thought. :biggrin:

Btw...do you live in Ipswich and where are you moving to for uni? I lived in Ipswich for 2 years.

Yeah, it did look rather poor at times. I shall be going to both games next season money permitting. Think the first (I always look out for them so the banter between me and the OH can start early :biggrin:) is November at Bramall Lane.

Good luck for next season. You may need it again-was expecting some signings by now! :eek:
Reply 5274
ipswichblade
I've never left a game early but I guess I am pretty lucky as I haven't had too many bad seasons through out the time I have been going. Either that, or I'm more of a mug than I thought. :biggrin:

Btw...do you live in Ipswich and where are you moving to for uni? I lived in Ipswich for 2 years.

Yeah, it did look rather poor at times. I shall be going to both games next season money permitting. Think the first (I always look out for them so the banter between me and the OH can start early :biggrin:) is November at Bramall Lane.

Good luck for next season. You may need it again-was expecting some signings by now! :eek:

I live near Ipswich, but will be moving to Preston for uni, so I suspect a few visits to Deepdale may be in order!

I may pop down to Sheffield for that match, its actually on a Saturday for a change!! Came up a couple of years ago when tickets were just a tenner. :biggrin: More than what can be said for what we charge away fans. :mad:

Thanks, think we will need more than luck!! Good luck to you too, I think you will be up there again.
I love Ipswich. You've loaned us so many players over the last few years. :biggrin:

(I'm a Brentford fan.) Can we have Balkestein permanently please?
paulb79
I live near Ipswich, but will be moving to Preston for uni, so I suspect a few visits to Deepdale may be in order!

I may pop down to Sheffield for that match, its actually on a Saturday for a change!! Came up a couple of years ago when tickets were just a tenner. :biggrin: More than what can be said for what we charge away fans. :mad:

Thanks, think we will need more than luck!! Good luck to you too, I think you will be up there again.

Yes, even though our prices went up for the season coming up, we are still cheap compared to many clubs and have still kept the category C prices for some games where it's £10 and £5.
Preston is one of my favourite grounds and I haven't been since they did the new stand. Trying to do grounds I haven't been to though-saving money for these really so probably won't get to Preston.

If they stay fit and we don't get half has many injuries as we had last season, we have a chance again.
Reply 5277
ipswichblade
Yes, even though our prices went up for the season coming up, we are still cheap compared to many clubs and have still kept the category C prices for some games where it's £10 and £5.
Preston is one of my favourite grounds and I haven't been since they did the new stand. Trying to do grounds I haven't been to though-saving money for these really so probably won't get to Preston.

If they stay fit and we don't get half has many injuries as we had last season, we have a chance again.

I've not been to Deepdale before so am looking forward to it. Good thing about Preston is that there are a number of Championship clubs not too far away, so I will probably do mainly away games this season, depending on finances!

Good luck for the new season, except against Ipswich! You won't need luck then! :biggrin:
paulb79
I've not been to Deepdale before so am looking forward to it. Good thing about Preston is that there are a number of Championship clubs not too far away, so I will probably do mainly away games this season, depending on finances!

Good luck for the new season, except against Ipswich! You won't need luck then! :biggrin:

Haha, hope you're right. :biggrin:

Not liking the look of our new kit :|
We traditionally wear white shorts. We've worn blue one season in the nineties and it did not go down well!
I am positive sometimes though; I like the collar and the shade of blue.

Latest