The Student Room Group

Lifelong eczema is making me depressed

I'll be 18 later this year and have been a lifelong sufferer of eczema. I recognise that it's not life-threatening, and I'm not saying it's the worst condition to live with, but it does sometimes get me depressed when I see my hands, parts of my arms, and behind my knees red, itchy and sore. I know what things I'm allergic to (detergents, latex, wool, etc) but even avoiding these doesn't make it better. I've tried all creams but my skin still feels hot and puffy. I occasionally get it on my face too. I feel so embarassed when people see my hands, and I'm still getting used to being able to put clench my hand into a fist shape (I used to have deep cuts on my knuckles). I've put plasters on my hands in the past because I was so disgusted at looking at it. I hate not being able to wear bracelets or rings as they draw attention to my eczema. :frown: I know many people have much worse conditions than me, but it's just I'm 17 and have had it all my life.
Sorry this seems like a hopeless thread with no real possible way of resolving it, but if someone understands, please reply. :o:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Please tell me you've seen your GP about this.
Reply 2
Have you tried oatmeal baths, antihistamine, Elocon, Dove soap for sensitive skin? I suffer from eczema too especially, during the summer but these remedies do help. Visit your dermatologist for a consultation.
Reply 3
Anonymous
I'll be 18 later this year and have been a lifelong sufferer of eczema. I recognise that it's not life-threatening, and I'm not saying it's the worst condition to live with, but it does sometimes get me depressed when I see my hands, parts of my arms, and behind my knees red, itchy and sore. I know what things I'm allergic to (detergents, latex, wool, etc) but even avoiding these doesn't make it better. I've tried all creams but my skin still feels hot and puffy. I occasionally get it on my face too. I feel so embarassed when people see my hands, and I'm still getting used to being able to put clench my hand into a fist shape (I used to have deep cuts on my knuckles). I've put plasters on my hands in the past because I was so disgusted at looking at it. I hate not being able to wear bracelets or rings as they draw attention to my eczema. :frown: I know many people have much worse conditions than me, but it's just I'm 17 and have had it all my life.
Sorry this seems like a hopeless thread with no real possible way of resolving it, but if someone understands, please reply. :o:

my sis has eczema, have you used any steroid creams? they are quite effective.
Reply 4
Tuppenny
Please tell me you've seen your GP about this.

I've seen my GP two or three times about this over the years. The last time I went about it because it flared up even more than usual (10 months after my previous visit) and she got annoyed and told me it wasn't life threatening, and that I need to get over it as I can't keep going to see the doctor because of eczema. Oh and she told me "This is why doctors get annoyed". I wanted to change doctors but I'm not allowed to unless my parents do too and they don't want to. :frown:
Reply 5
I know it may sound silly, but have you considered seeing a counsellor about your self-image?

There are tons of treatments (such as E45 cream which you can get on prescription) out there which can ease things, but you will always suffer this and need to learn to love yourself.

I have a similar issue, feel free to PM me and i'll be able to talk to you more :smile:
Reply 6
Anonymous
I've seen my GP two or three times about this over the years. The last time I went about it because it flared up even more than usual (10 months after my previous visit) and she got annoyed and told me it wasn't life threatening, and that I need to get over it as I can't keep going to see the doctor because of eczema. Oh and she told me "This is why doctors get annoyed". I wanted to change doctors but I'm not allowed to unless my parents do too and they don't want to. :frown:

Sorry I meant to say 20 months after my previous visit.
Reply 7
i used to have it on my arms, they were ohh so bad, however, my parents didnt let me have no junk food. NO JUNK, no crisps, no biscuits, definately no fizzy drink. drink plenty of water and do exercise. truss me, it'll help. stay fit and healthy
Steroid creams would probably get the job done, but you can't use them for long periods of time so they're useless in the long term.

My mum eventually concocted some weird mixture of tea tree oil and evening primrose oil when I was a kid, cos none of the commercial stuff worked. My eczema's now a lot better than it used to be.
Reply 9
Samrout
my sis has eczema, have you used any steroid creams? they are quite effective.

Thanks but I've tried hydrocortisone steroid creams. They help for a while but they can thin the skin and make the condition flare up worse than before after having stopped using them.
Reply 10
have you tried salcura? it's non-steroid, and people who buy it from the pharmacy i work out swear by it (for eczema, dermatitis, psoriosis, etc). it's worth a try, you can get it as a spray or as a cream.
Reply 11
Anonymous
Thanks but I've tried hydrocortisone steroid creams. They help for a while but they can thin the skin and make the condition flare up worse than before after having stopped using them.

This might be a little stupid, because you said you've used hydrocotisone steroid creams, but have you tried hydrocotisone steroid ointment ? I have very mild eczema, thanks to my parents. I use to visit a Dermatologist every 6 months, and he found what worked best fro my skin. The creams wouldnt work for me, like you said, it would get worse, but the ointments are fantastic, and i hardly ever need to use them much now. All ive ever used is ointments. If you find your self a good skin specaialist they can help you find whats best for your skin type, and what percentage of steroid to use...(because they come on like 0.5%, 2.5% etc, and it depends on how severe the eczema is). It took me probably like 6/7 years, to find the right type, and i was seen since i was 2 years old,... but it doesnt take as long now.

So yeah, if you feel down, dont give up, i feel lucky that my eczema isnt as bad, but ive had bad times too... and ive learnt that all them years of slapping ointment (epaderm too) on has helped me alot, so its not a waste of time.
Your doctor sounds awful to put up with:/ Don't let them put you off going. If you have something wrong, or the eczma flares up (or doesn't go away) keep going back. That's what the overpaid doctors are for.
Reply 13
Anonymous

Thats ridiculous, you need to switch doctors. There are so many treatment options, and many conditions aren't life threatening but are still deserving of medical treatment. Can you see a different GP at the same surgery? Why do you have to go the same one as your parents? You can register with any GP within your area.
I understand, I've got pretty bad psiriosis and sometimes find it quite difficult to cope with. I'm nineteen, and a girl, and I hate not being able to wear what I want without worrying. I'm meant to be going on holiday with my friends this year, and I'm worried because I know I won't be able to wear a swimsuit. Lately it's been getting a lot worse, and my skin keeps cracking and bleeding - I know, sexy. I got quite a lot of grief for it in school, and I have to say it's knocked my confidence a lot.

I know psiriosis is different, but I thought I'd tell you some things that helped me:

1) Moisturise. All the time. Several times a day is best. E45 is good, and available on prescription: though I found that Dove Intensive Body Lotion works just as well and smells really nice. I really can't stress how important moisturising is. I didn't know to do this until i was about sixteen, and I think that if I'd known sooner it would have made a big difference.

2) Light treatment. See a doctor: it helps with quite a few skin conditions, though how effective it is depends on the person. I had it last year and it was wonderful - got rid of nearly all of it, though it's come back now. Do you find that your skin gets a bit better when you're out in the sun?

3) Seaweed baths/moisturising baths. I think you basically have to try and keep your skin as moisturised as possible. You can buy Oilatum bath oil in most chemists - give it a try and see if it helps.

4) I use steroid creams as well, but very rarely. I found that if I used it every day, it just made my skin get used to it and it would get even worse. I save it for particularly bad flare ups. Those creams are bad for you, used over a long period of time - they come with a lot of nasty side effects.

5) Diet - apparently citrusy fruit can make it worse. Not too sure, but I try to avoid it when my skin's particularly bad and i think it makes a difference.

Your doctor sounds like a jerk. They need to give you the basic knowledge and tools to deal with it yourself and make your life manageable. Hope some of this advice helps.
Reply 15
You need a cream like betnovate 0.1%, twice a day, few days to a week it will be gone, then put a moisturiser like E45 on every night. And it will keep it under control, more you moisturise the less it will flare up.

Oh and suck it up, guranteed its worse for me and i deal with it and no one knows. I have ecezma on the back of my hands and im a boxer, I also have other things which effect my skin. I'm not depressed, get over it.
Reply 16
Hey, I am 18 and ive had chronic eczema all my life. You sound so distressed! I really hope its gotten better since you posted this. feel free to pm me anytime:smile:
Reply 17
I have had eczema all my life and I am now middle-aged! I know how horrible it feels to think that people might see your skin and be disgusted.

You need to find a good dermatologist, use the medication prescribed, and follow their instructions faithfully...I.e. things like soaking your hands in lukewarm water for five minutes before bed, then apply either a thick ointment steroid or a layer of petroleum jelly...and do not skip! I was always guilty of not complying fully with doctor directions, then the eczema would come back. If you can manage to not scratch, your skin heals fast. I just recovered from a flare up when I could hardly walk...my feet had horrible eczema, the skin was thick and itched so much, and was cracking open. My dermatologist fixed it...because I took their instructions seriously this time instead of doing it when I felt like it. I used a strong prescription steroid ointment and petroleum jelly and soaked my feet every evening. I switched to 100% cotton socks. Now I do not need to use the steroid anymore. The skin healed in 4 weeks!

So there is hope...
MAy you feel better soon!!
I have been pretty much bathing in E45 since I was a baby, now my skin is clear as day 👏🏾
I understand completely iv had it since I was 3 months old I am now 22 I have got it from head to toe and when it Flares up I just don't know what to do with yourself and it does get you down sometimes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending