The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes. She can only use one. And they can find out, as each ballot has a serial number, so can be traced back to the voter.
it is illegal... i have the same situation.... its a crime and there would be a punishment if they found out.... its not worth the risk.
Reply 3
I would imagine it is illegal. However, I would also imagine it will be very hard for them to find out.
Yes, it is illegal.

Maann how come I didn't get one at uni!!
I only got one sent home and I couldn't use it 'cos I'm at uni.
Reply 5
JustLau
Yes. She can only use one. And they can find out, as each ballot has a serial number, so can be traced back to the voter.

It's a secret ballot, so that wont happen.
Reply 6
King Pieb

They check off your name, so they know if you voted even though they have no idea who you voted for. Presumably they could easily find out if you double voted therefore.
Thanks for the replies :yy:
Reply 8
King Pieb

but it is possible, and is in place so that if electoral fraud was suspected, votes can be traced back
I got two polling cards too. But then my uni is 3 hours away from home so voting here, taking the train home to vote there just seems a bit OTT haha.
And in answer to the question, yes it is illegal to vote twice.
Why would you bother? All politicians are liars and snakes anyways.
FranticMind

Because the idea of a tory government frightens me.
Reply 12
it's illegal since you put the other 2 parties at a small disadvantage if you for e.g vote for labour twice
Oasis Jnr
it's illegal since you put the other 2 parties at a small disadvantage if you for e.g vote for labour twice

True, I'm just wondering if they'd be able to find out.
FranticMind

Sure they are. But their decisions and policies affect us massively, so you may as well vote for the one you like most, or at the very least spoil your ballot.

OP I would have thought it would be untracable - not to say it would not be despicable. You get one vote each, that's how democracy works.
I shot a bear :(
My sister has two polling cards - one for her uni resident and one sent to the family home.

Is it illegal to use both votes? If yes, do they actually find out?

I'm ignorant, I know.

To clarify - it is illegal, electoral fraud, to vote twice in the general election. It is legal to vote in two different local elections if you live in two places.

In practice, they will not find out, but a kitten might die.
michael321
Sure they are. But their decisions and policies affect us massively, so you may as well vote for the one you like most, or at the very least spoil your ballot.

OP I would have thought it would be untracable - not to say it would not be despicable. You get one vote each, that's how democracy works.

You're not wrong, I am despicable to suggest something like this. But I'm also a bit scared at the outcome of this election
I'm fairly sure that it's illegal to vote in the general election in both areas, but you can vote for both local elections as they do not have any effect on each other, or at least that is what my sister (Aula to those on here) told me & she looked it up somewhere or other.
& to those of you saying about distance from home, that's what postal votes are designed for
yes, highly illegal, don't let her do it! (local elections are ok though, providing they are in 2 diff constituencys)
michael321

I shot a bear :(
Because the idea of a tory government frightens me.

I suppose but it just really depresses and frustrates me that there is no real choice. We simply choose someone who will then do whatever the hell they want.

I want there to be GUARANTEES, like targets that mean if they are not reached then that party is kicked out, ie increase engineering budget, reduce national debt etc. Otherwise we are just stuck in this mindless pointless rambling debate, where the few control the many for their own gain and profit.

Latest

Trending

Trending