Reply 1
1 Single AVCE ICT = 1 A'Level
Double AVCE ICT = 2 A'Levels
Reply 2
so by double u mean a 2 year course?
Reply 3
liverpool
so by double u mean a 2 year course?

Yes. Actually, both (single and double) are 2 year courses. For the single award, you do 3 units each year, while the double award, you do 6 units each year.
Reply 4
ohhhh

my skool is getting on my nerves

i forgot to ask them, also btw is AVCE IT and computing alevel a good mix?
Reply 5
liverpool
ohhhh

my skool is getting on my nerves

i forgot to ask them, also btw is AVCE IT and computing alevel a good mix?

I've done AVCE ICT and Computing. In my opinion, it's a good mix, as you get a mix of vocational and academic knowledge of things. In addition, you learn stuff in ICT which Computing doesn't have (e.g. programming) and vice versa.
Reply 6
and in the long term will that get u to a good uni if u get Bs in AVCE IT and C for computing?
Reply 7
liverpool
and in the long term will that get u to a good uni if u get Bs in AVCE IT and C for computing?

It depends on the university. I'm sure you can get into university with that. However, it depends on the university entrance requirements. For instance, if they say they want BBC, and you have BB in AVCE ICT double award and a grade C in Computing, you will be accpeted.

I've got an A in ICT and a D for Computing, and I got into university. However, the university that I'm going is mediocre according to the league tables. I'm proud of where I'm going though.
Reply 8
cheers trev thanks lot for the advice

but i got bad bad news

AQA AVCE IT , SCINCE, BUISNESS are all being withdrwn nxt year so does that mean i can only do a AS in IT AVCE look at this

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/avce/sci.html

this is for scince but it is for all of them!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 9
liverpool
cheers trev thanks lot for the advice

but i got bad bad news

AQA AVCE IT , SCINCE, BUISNESS are all being withdrwn nxt year so does that mean i can only do a AS in IT AVCE look at this

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/avce/sci.html

this is for scince but it is for all of them!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're welcome.

Yes, AVCE subjects are being withdrawn. They will be replaced by 'GCE Applied ICT, Science, and Business'. http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceapplied.html
Reply 10
and wat does that mean

if i do AVCE IT i will only be able to 1 year of it?
Reply 11
liverpool
and wat does that mean

if i do AVCE IT i will only be able to 1 year of it?

If you are starting year 12 this September, you would do GCE Applied ICT. Or if you are going onto year 13 this September, you will continue to do AVCE ICT.
Reply 12
no but my skool is still ging AVCE IT

im going into yr 12 now so ill do AVCE IT For 1 year and wat will happen the next year?
Reply 13
liverpool
no but my skool is still ging AVCE IT

im going into yr 12 now so ill do AVCE IT For 1 year and wat will happen the next year?

Alright. That means you would be doing the 'GCE Applied ICT' instead of AVCE. According to the specification of AQA (http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-8751-8753-8756-8759-W-SP-07.pdf) -scroll down to section '1.3 - Advanced Subsidairy (AS)'. It says 'Advanced Subsidiary (AS) courses will be introduced from September 2005 for the award of the first qualification in August 2006.' (in August 2006, you have completed either the AS Applied ICT (3 units) or AS Applied ICT (6 units) 'Advanced Level (A-Level) courses of study will be available for assessment from January 2007 and for the award of the first qualification in August 2007.' (in August 2007, you would have a further 3 units if you are doing the single award to make up the whole 6 unit qualification, or a further 6 units if you are doing the double award to make up the whole 12 unit qualifcation.
Reply 14
thanks a lot trev for the help

if i get to pick these i will need ur help a lot :P

thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 15
liverpool
thanks a lot trev for the help

if i get to pick these i will need ur help a lot :P

thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!

You're welcome.
Reply 16
trev
I've done AVCE ICT and Computing. In my opinion, it's a good mix, as you get a mix of vocational and academic knowledge of things. In addition, you learn stuff in ICT which Computing doesn't have (e.g. programming) and vice versa.

Sorry but I have to disagree with you trev. Doing both AVCE ICT and A-level Computing shows you're doing a very narrow set of courses. Universities like to see you doing a broad range of subjects and although they prefer a bias towards science and technology subjects I believe ICT and Computing are too similar to do together (although they are not the same thing). Trust me, you would be more likely to impress a University if you combine sciences and some other sort of subject whether it be a vocational or an essay writing subject.
Reply 17
no way in hell would I recommend someone do A Level comp and then IT too.

Do computing, maths and then something else. Not ICT though- most half decent unis wouldn't want someone who just had ICT and Computing.
Reply 18
Ynox
no way in hell would I recommend someone do A Level comp and then IT too.

Do computing, maths and then something else. Not ICT though- most half decent unis wouldn't want someone who just had ICT and Computing.

Quite a few Universities do accept AVCE ICT. I only did it instead of A-level Computing because my sixth form didn't offer it, which was a shame because the course wasn't really challenging and rather boring. But again, I'd like to stress NOT not to do ICT and Computing together because it just won't look good when an admissions tutor looks at it.
Reply 19
ok so wat would u suggest to do with it

i have AVCE IT but need to do an A LEVEL with it

Latest

Trending

Trending