The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

LuhLah
Anxiety?

Yeah, probably.
Reply 441
adilahmed1

ie close this thread.....its demotivating pepo

I would, trust me, but there's people who want to discuss solutions and crap.

Livesindreams

I want you to get off this thread, off TSR, off the computer and either put on a film or music or both. Immerse yourself in it. You'll feel the drowsiness come eventually.
Reply 442
Everyone in my school who I spoke to found Higher hard this year (especially paper 2). My teacher said that our Advanced Higher Integration question was actually easier than the Higher. A few of my friends are resitters this year and they are really pissed off at getting 2 hard papers in a row. I did higher last year fully expecting to get an A and only got 60%! Actually I think I've done better in AH this year than H last year. However by most accounts it appears that 2010 Higher was just as hard as 2009 Higher.
LuhLah
I would, trust me, but there's people who want to discuss solutions and crap.

I want you to get off this thread, off TSR, off the computer and either put on a film or music or both. Immerse yourself in it. You'll feel the drowsiness come eventually.

I probably should.

But the problem is, that it's like I'm waiting for someone to pop out and reassure me that everything is okay. And all that crap. But even at that I know I would argue with them and such and so would feel even more depressed and worried.
RizzyI
Wow really? Okay that just made me feel TONS better. Cheer sfor that! :wink:

wait, sorry. I misread it on the st Andrews website. It seems to be somehat of a gray area and they don't make it clear at all. I'll phone them up tomorrow and ask.

Aberdeen blatantly tell that you should get an unconditional with 4A's
and a B/5A's and a conditional with less. I haven't checked Dundee or Glasgow but I can't imagine it would be too different. With the exception of Edinburgh, they're all roughly the same standard right?
Reply 445
Livesindreams
I probably should.

But the problem is, that it's like I'm waiting for someone to pop out and reassure me that everything is okay. And all that crap. But even at that I know I would argue with them and such and so would feel even more depressed and worried.

It's ****. Very, very ****. But, due to the nature of Highers, if you let one knock you down then it's like the domino effect. I know this is much easier said than done, but you've got to bite the bullet and focus on your next exam (physics, yeah?), and ensure that you make it the complete opposite of maths. This might sound corny, but having a nice thrash about/cry could really release some of the anxiety.

Try your best to forget about it, throw out the papers, don't for the love of god look at the solutions for 2010, put all notes, books etc in a cupboard and chillax. Ok, you may haven't done well, but it isn't going to affect your right now, leave it until August. Just think of all the lovely other grades - and I'm sure you've done fine in maths :p: - which can still get.

Also, a goodnight's sleep will balance your mindset. :hugs:

I hope I helped a bit, cos I know exactly how you feel. :yep:
LuhLah
It's ****. Very, very ****. But, due to the nature of Highers, if you let one knock you down then it's like the domino effect. I know this is much easier said than done, but you've got to bite the bullet and focus on your next exam (physics, yeah?), and ensure that you make it the complete opposite of maths. This might sound corny, but having a nice thrash about/cry could really release some of the anxiety.

Try your best to forget about it, throw out the papers, don't for the love of god look at the solutions for 2010, put all notes, books etc in a cupboard and chillax. Ok, you may haven't done well, but it isn't going to affect your right now, leave it until August. Just think of all the lovely other grades - and I'm sure you've done fine in maths :p: - which can still get.

Next exam is Tuesday, Modern Studies.

Yeah I know what you mean by the domino effect. Right now I want to just forget about all my other exams, and go hide somewhere. I also have the "I don't want to do it" attitude towards Modern Studies right now.

So far, it looks like I've failed if we go by the "If you don't get the answer right then you get 0 marks" approach. But if I can just find those 3 marks to get it up to a C, then I can appeal for a B, which I would settle with.

I think I'm going to go put away those stupid Maths Papers and hopefully get some sleep.

:hugs:
LuhLah

I definitely agree that looking at the answers was a BAD idea! Went from a possible A to a possible B...:frown:
Reply 448
Just quickly , how many marks do u think you would get if you got the value for 'k' correct but a slighty off value for 'a'? question 2 a
Enzo-259
wait, sorry. I misread it on the st Andrews website. It seems to be somehat of a gray area and they don't make it clear at all. I'll phone them up tomorrow and ask.

Aberdeen blatantly tell that you should get an unconditional with 4A's
and a B/5A's and a conditional with less. I haven't checked Dundee or Glasgow but I can't imagine it would be too different. With the exception of Edinburgh, they're all roughly the same standard right?

Let me clear this up for you:

Edinburgh: AAAAB
Dundee:AAABB
Aberdeen:AAAAB
Glasgow:AAAAB
St Andrews:AAAAB (Going to be AAAAA for 2012 entry so beware, other universities could follow)
Blu3j4yw4y
8root2 is 11.3 :p:

And I really doubt you'd lose anything. As long as you didn't use negative in your final area I don't see why they would. All you're doing is determining stationary points on a curve :smile:

I couldn't get the first part of that question, my hands started to shake. I was like ARGHHHHHHHHH.........then I went on to the next page, did that easy question, even though I THREW AWAY 2-3 marks for only finding the gradient :frown: I can't believe I didn't sub the gradient into y-b=m(x-a) to actually come up with y=1/3x.

Anyway, cut a long story short, I am V. Glad I managed to do that 6 mark maximum area question.

And for all those worriers out there, I highly doubt the A boundary will change from last year. I think they may just, perhaps, be increasing the standards, but it is counterbalanced by having to lower the A grade, or perhaps there is a new "maths team"
jackwka
Grade boundaries vary from year to year. SQA try to get it at 50,60 and 70% for C, B and A respectively. For what ever reason, maths always seems to be higher than this. The reason for the difficult paper 2 may have been to get the marks down to the normal marks. I think its pretty much a certainty you'll get a B, although pretty unlikely you'll get an A. Saying that, it depends how harsh/forgiving you were in your marking.

SQA
General commentary on grade boundaries
• While SQA aims to set examinations and create marking instructions which will allow a
competent candidate to score a minimum of 50% of the available marks (the notional C boundary)
and a well prepared, very competent candidate to score at least 70% of the available marks (the
notional A boundary), it is very challenging to get the standard on target every year, in every
subject at every level.
• Each year SQA therefore holds a grade boundary meeting for each subject at each level where it
brings together all the information available (statistical and judgemental). The Principal Assessor
and SQA Qualifications Manager meet with the relevant SQA Business Manager and Statistician
to discuss the evidence and make decisions. The meetings are chaired by members of the
management team at SQA.
• The grade boundaries can be adjusted downwards if there is evidence that the exam is more
challenging than usual, allowing the pass rate to be unaffected by this circumstance.
• The grade boundaries can be adjusted upwards if there is evidence that the exam is less
challenging than usual, allowing the pass rate to be unaffected by this circumstance.
• Where standards are comparable to previous years, similar grade boundaries are maintained.
• An exam paper at a particular level in a subject in one year tends to have a marginally different
set of grade boundaries from exam papers in that subject at that level in other years. This is
because the particular questions, and the mix of questions are different. This is also the case for
exams set in centres. If SQA has already altered a boundary in a particular year in say Higher
Chemistry this does not mean that centres should necessarily alter boundaries in their prelim
exam in Higher Chemistry. The two are not that closely related as they do not contain identical
questions.
• SQA’s main aim is to be fair to candidates across all subjects and all levels and maintain
comparable standards across the years, even as arrangements evolve and change.

Last year, 22.2% got an A, and in 2008, 23.9% got an A
See in paper 1, for Q23c, do you think they realised the easier method of using the double root which we had already worked out, because 5 marks is a lot for the easy method. But those of us who used that method (including me) should get all the marks, hopefully.

Does anyone know if you had to have stated that the double root must be where the tangent is? I can't remember whether I did, although I did write "x=1 twice" somewhere.:

I have worked out that I lost a mark in paper 1 for the ratio.

I had it right up to root116/root29, but then, stupidly, I just decidded to do 116/29 and got 4, so wrote 4:1 for the ratio. Will I still get a mark for that because I just made a stupid mistake at the end. :frown: That would be the only question where I lost marks if they give full marks for the 5 mark tangent question I mention above.
garlicbreadman
But those of us who used that method (including me) should get all the marks, hopefully.

Any valid method to find the correct answer gains the marks.
Just a note for the integration question - looking at previous SQA mark schemes (I'm basing this on 2008), you get a mark for knowing to integrate, a mark for integrating correctly and a mark for substituting limits, presumably even if these limits are wrong. So hopefully that's a bit of reassurance for those of us who mucked up that question, like myself :smile: Should get at least 2 marks, possibly 3, maybe even 4 if you calculated etc. correctly, depends how many marks they allocate to the triangle bit.
Pretty sure you won't get a mark for substituting incorrect limits, sorry...
Mmm you're probably right. I kinda thought because you got one mark for stating limits and one mark for evaluating them, you might get the second evaluating mark even if you loose the stating lyrics mark, in an error carried forward way. Ah well. I'm not gonna think about it anymore, most important thing is MATHS IS OVER! :biggrin:
Reply 457
EmmaDilemma
Was the exam worse than last years?
I sat the 2009 paper and it was awful!!

I think it was roughly the same. Paper one was easy last year as well as this year but both paper 2's were pretty damn solid. If I had to choose, I'd probably say that this year was slightly harder (not being biased or anything, just imo) :p:
RizzyI
I think it was roughly the same. Paper one was easy last year as well as this year but both paper 2's were pretty damn solid. If I had to choose, I'd probably say that this year was slightly harder (not being biased or anything, just imo) :p:

I agree.
Reply 459
RizzyI

Agreed. Paper 2 completely killed my buzz from Paper 1 -- I though I was in there with an A. I guess not. :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending