The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
lumpycustard
so, formal writing? eg (Thou shalt not write in the manner of abreviations) or texting lang eg (dont write in tx on the site coz its rude)

vote text vote text!!!!!!!

Poll?
normal because i've got so bad with txt that i keep doing it on my college assignments which is baaaaaaaaaad!!
lumpycustard
so, formal writing? eg (Thou shalt not write in the manner of abreviations) or texting lang eg (dont write in tx on the site coz its rude)

Which do you find easier to *read* - it makes sense to write in which ever format is going to be most easily read and understood.
Reply 3
i understand both formal/normal and tx lang. makes no difference, wer all used to it now.

(it bugs me when i get a tx off people in full english then they moan bout there not bein enough space! grrr)
Reply 4
I hate text language, its stupid. It takes you more time to decipher each sentence, defeats the objective really.
Reply 5
2 b fair i read it better. i dont mean the crap little kids shortin of words like "i fort dat was da hole point of da tx fing" i wud say it so its just spelt how it sounds like "i thought that was the whole point of the tx thing"

ps IN WENT TO IKEA AND PLAYED IN THE BALL POOL! I NEVER BEEN B4 AND ITS AMAZIN!!!!
Reply 6
Speaking of text language and stuff, i speak to someone on MSN quite regularly and they type "kool" and "thanxs" I don't know if they actually don't know how to spell or they're trying to do text language. But it really makes no sense - it's not shorter or quicker to type it so why do they bother? Can anyone enlighten me?
Reply 7
i hate the hacker speak - where they have to turn all es into threes, and end everything with a z. i just really hate it, more than txtspk.
Reply 8
lumpycustard

i dont really pay attention to it if i understand it then i'm not gonna moan if you can't understand it then shit happens
Reply 9
I hate text speech. I can't understand why people need to use it on the internet. I can understand on texts where you are limited.

I am pretty sure some people must write text speek in their english exams.
Reply 10
elpaw
i hate the hacker speak - where they have to turn all es into threes, and end everything with a z. i just really hate it, more than txtspk.

heyz leave teh }-{4C|<3R talk alone lol. else we will pwn you n00b. lmao... I coulc never stand how the wannabes talked like that.
Reply 11
lumpycustard

does it really matter really, cum on its not as if its important to society, in some cases ppl are used to maybe cos they text alot or just prefer to shorten things or in others people just to speak better english cos they are posh and like to show that by typing it out
Reply 12
Sire
}-{4C|<3R

see? wtf is that? not only is it virtually incomprehensible, it takes up more space.
xAngelx
does it really matter really, cum on its not as if its important to society, in some cases ppl are used to maybe cos they text alot or just prefer to shorten things or in others people just to speak better english cos they are posh and like to show that by typing it out

No, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
But it is a topic worth discussing, because of the wider issues.
Is text speach deteriorating the english language, or making it better?
elpaw

True hackers dont write like that. That is an urban myth, which wannabee hackers follow relgiously to try and seem cool.
Reply 15
Iluvatar
No, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
But it is a topic worth discussing, because of the wider issues.
Is text speach deteriorating the english language, or making it better?

i dunno cos when i text and i'm on the internet i use besically slang, and when i'm writing i use normal laugage, its easy to separte the two, and i'm stupid and i know that
Reply 16
elpaw
see? wtf is that? not only is it virtually incomprehensible, it takes up more space.

lol, I'm not kidding. Some of the try hards on the irc servers actually took the time to code an acronym replacement so that }-{4C|<3R would come up instead of 'hacker'. More stuff like "eye am 60nn4 }-{4C|< J00"
I hate this shortened text thing. Use it occasionally when needed, but yeah. I think I use basic punctuation more than most lol
Sire
lol, I'm not kidding. Some of the try hards on the irc servers actually took the time to code an acronym replacement so that }-{4C|<3R would come up instead of 'hacker'. More stuff like "eye am 60nn4 }-{4C|< J00"
I hate this shortened text thing. Use it occasionally when needed, but yeah. I think I use basic punctuation more than most lol

Sometimes it is pointless, yes.
But this example (although it is not likely anyone will ever write this) shows how shorter it can be.

O I C I B YY 4 U.
I C U R N RS N I C I M 1 2.

It rhymes though!!!
Reply 18
Text language belongs in text messages!!
Reply 19
Iluvatar
Sometimes it is pointless, yes.
But this example (although it is not likely anyone will ever write this) shows how shorter it can be.

O I C I B YY 4 U.
I C U R N RS N I C I M 1 2.

It rhymes though!!!

what's YY and RS?

Latest

Trending

Trending