The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Questions Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1140
I'm currently writing a personal statement. Last year I dropped out of university mainly due to psychological reasons and moved back home ( Went to uni abroad)

I am wondering wether I should mention this in my personal statement, basically as an excuse for dropping out, or if I should try and explain it in different ways ( ie. course limiting myself too much to one specific area of study etc.)
Hello,

So I'm thinking of applying in october and I'm coming from France (doing the OIB). I've done GCSEs and lived 6 years in England, should I mention this in my personal statement? Or just the fact i'm coming from a different country? Also its really hindered me, I had a bit depression year and I HATE it here.. but just hsould I state a reason (more reasonable) why I want to go back to england?

also I have done work experience in both counrties, would comparing them be constructive?

Thank you!
Reply 1142
Original post by Maudee4567
Hello,

So I'm thinking of applying in october and I'm coming from France (doing the OIB). I've done GCSEs and lived 6 years in England, should I mention this in my personal statement? Or just the fact i'm coming from a different country? Also its really hindered me, I had a bit depression year and I HATE it here.. but just hsould I state a reason (more reasonable) why I want to go back to england?

also I have done work experience in both counrties, would comparing them be constructive?

Thank you!

It all depends. If living in England is something relevant to the course you apply for, then you can mention it, otherwise it's worthless. Besides, admission tutors will learn from your application where you live and where you've gone to school.

If you had a medical problem, ask your referee to explain it, for example how that affected your results, etc. You don't need to state a reason why you want to go abroad (I didn't).

As for the last question, it's the same as above, if it's relevant, then do so.
Original post by Ivanka
It all depends. If living in England is something relevant to the course you apply for, then you can mention it, otherwise it's worthless. Besides, admission tutors will learn from your application where you live and where you've gone to school.

If you had a medical problem, ask your referee to explain it, for example how that affected your results, etc. You don't need to state a reason why you want to go abroad (I didn't).

As for the last question, it's the same as above, if it's relevant, then do so.

I want to apply to Vet Med so don't know if it's valuable just explains that I am bilingual and just I heard they like getting applicants from different background and encourage variety? (makes me stick out a bit I guess ^^'')
shoudl I mention thoough that it's made me rounded fro studying so many subject and made me used to a big workload compared to A level? or is that unncerssary?

(OIB by the way is french bac + equivalent of english A level and history and geography in both english and french)

Thank you :smile: ! I am ust wanting to start planning a bit now, I hate leaving thigns last minute ^^''
Reply 1144
I want to apply to Vet Med so don't know if it's valuable just explains that I am bilingual and just I heard they like getting applicants from different background and encourage variety? (makes me stick out a bit I guess ^^'')
shoudl I mention thoough that it's made me rounded fro studying so many subject and made me used to a big workload compared to A level? or is that unncerssary?

(OIB by the way is french bac + equivalent of english A level and history and geography in both english and french)

Thank you :smile: ! I am ust wanting to start planning a bit now, I hate leaving thigns last minute ^^''

I don't think that bilingualism is helpful for veterinary medicine...
Original post by Ivanka
I don't think that bilingualism is helpful for veterinary medicine...

well it is if I am french and applying for an english course no?
and I mean people state sports and all for their applications I don't see how it's less useful than any of those...
surely anything that can help someone stick out is beneficial no?

and waht about the OIB stuff comparing to A level?
and comparing WEX in different countries?

EDIT: also might apply to something political or law as well in case I fail, would it be helpful for that?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1146
well it is if I am french and applying for an english course no?
and I mean people state sports and all for their applications I don't see how it's less useful than any of those...
surely anything that can help someone stick out is beneficial no?

and waht about the OIB stuff comparing to A level?
and comparing WEX in different countries?

EDIT: also might apply to something political or law as well in case I fail, would it be helpful for that?

They will probably want an evidence that you speak English at the level that allows you to study at university, but you can just ask them if they would waive the requirement of IELTS, Cambridge tests or whatever for you because you sat GCSEs.

People state different sorts of things, but while it can be helpful at times, it can also be pretty much useless. If in doubt, ask the universities yourself, but remember that it's primarily your suitability for the course, not your ECs, that will decide whether you'll gain the place.

What do you mean by "fail"? Like if you don't get anywhere via first round, you'll apply for law via Extra? That would be a problem, because you'd resubmit the same personal statement you would have used for veterinary medicine. Clearing might be less stricter in this respect, but there are only a few choices in that pool.
Original post by Ivanka
They will probably want an evidence that you speak English at the level that allows you to study at university, but you can just ask them if they would waive the requirement of IELTS, Cambridge tests or whatever for you because you sat GCSEs.

People state different sorts of things, but while it can be helpful at times, it can also be pretty much useless. If in doubt, ask the universities yourself, but remember that it's primarily your suitability for the course, not your ECs, that will decide whether you'll gain the place.

What do you mean by "fail"? Like if you don't get anywhere via first round, you'll apply for law via Extra? That would be a problem, because you'd resubmit the same personal statement you would have used for veterinary medicine. Clearing might be less stricter in this respect, but there are only a few choices in that pool.

well the OIB would ensure the proof as its A level equivalent but not all OIB or even people who have done the english GCSE (my french school offers it to them, although I did mine before in england) actually speak proper english..

Fair enough just it helps communication skills and all that kinda stuff no?

yes or just for a year later applicant or an application in France? I mean I would reapply for veterinary naturally but my parents are forcing me to have a plan B, and i am really interested by those topics too just not as much. I'm just keeping my options open as Vet Med is so hard to get into!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending