The Student Room Group

Vegan Child Abuse

http://www.vegetariansareevil.com/child.html

Vegetarianism a form of child abuse
All the nutrients that the body needs other than vitamin B-12 can be obtained from vegetable sources if extreme care is taken. Something most vegetarian and vegan parents absolutely do not do.
The availability of some of these essential nutrients is adversely affected by the special characteristics of a strictly vegetarian diet. Nutrients so affected include:

iron
calcium
zinc
copper
manganese
selenium
riboflavin
fat soluble vitamins, particularly vitamin D

The best sources of these are meat, poultry and seafood, which vegetarians avoid. But not only does the vegan diet consist of foods which are poorer sources of these nutrients, it necessarily contains high levels of fibre, phytic acid and oxalate, all of which are known both to bind with the nutrients in such a way as to inhibit their absorption in the gut and also to deplete the body of the minerals it has. The vegetarian ends up with a negative balance whereby the more he or she eats, the worse it gets.
This applies both to adults and to children. In the case of children, however, the situation can be far more serious. Children brought up by vegetarian parents are usually breast fed, often for long periods. Where the mother has a good nutrient-rich diet, this is normally a good thing. But the nutritional condition of the mother affects the nutrients passed in breast milk to the infant. If the mother is deficient in vitamin B-12, for example, this deficiency is passed onto the breast-fed child with unfortunate consequences.

With extreme macrobiotic diets the serious brain damage is seen in children where it was found that " Vitamin B-12 is sufficiently low as to have psychological consequences that also raise legitimate concerns about neurological development".

Mental development of four- to five-year-old children on macrobiotic diets (almost devoid of animal foods and fat) with long-term growth deficits, was studied. In addition food consumption and behavioural style of the children, and family and parent characteristics were assessed. Children had only seventy percent of the energy and forty percent of the calcium intake of that reported for children on conventional diets. Thirty three percent of the children studied failed to finish IQ tests due to an inability to concentrate.

Long standing mild to moderate malnutrition may not affect mental development if the children grow up in a stimulating social environment.

Infants and growing children have relatively small stomachs but large requirements for energy and the proteins and other materials with which to grow. As they can only eat small meals, they, most of all, need a diet high in energy and rich in nutrients needs that simply cannot be met from a vegetable-based diet. When weaned, children of vegetarian parents receive a diet where their small stomachs are filled with relatively nutrient-poor foods. This can lead to grave nutritional disorders such as suppressed growth and nutritional dwarfing , as well as diseases such as kwashiorkor, a protein-calorie deficiency disease usually seen only in severely malnourished African children, vitamin D deficiency rickets, severe iron deficiency anaemia and learning difficulties.

The children of strict vegetarian parents tend to have lower birth weights which studies have shown increase ill-health later in life. Smaller babies suffer more heart disease , obstructive lung diseases and asthma. Under-nutrition in infancy has also been shown to inhibit brain growth and to have a dramatically adverse effect on intellectual development. This last is a disaster as, not only is it irreversible in those children, studies have shown that their eventual offspring also suffer lower intelligence quotients.

Dr. I.F. Roberts, senior registrar at the Department of Child Health, St George's Hospital in London, and colleagues suggest that these vegetarian type fad diets must be regarded as a form of child abuse.
Examples of this, when vegetarianism is taken the the extreme, can be seen in recent news articles about the damage vegans do to thier own children.

Many of these vegetarians and vegans are what are referred to as "Moral Vegetarians", that is, they do not eat meat because they believe that it is wrong to animals. By doing so, they are selfishly putting the interests of animals ahead of the interests of their own children.

Animals are spared and can continue eating one another, while the children and even the grandchildren of these evil vegetarians and vegans are damaged irreparably.

Since they care so much for animals, and so little for their own offspring, they might as well just feed their children to the lions at the zoo.

Children hate being vegetarians. They are forced into this sickly state by evil parents who are more concerned with the well-being of animals and fish than the health of their own children and even grandchildren. Many vegetarian children have simply had meat and sometimes even fish removed from their diets. They don't always eat more vegetables than non-vegetarian children, but they do eat significantly more sweets. Very often, these sweets are packaged to appeal to idiot vegetarian parents who think that granola coated in chocolate is somehow healthier than a Snickers bar.

:bandit:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
tl;dr
Reply 2
My god, I never knew how much my mother screwed me over making me grow up vegetarian. I mean lord its not like I'm the healthiest out of everyone I know, one of the tallest and have never had trouble keeping up with friends in sports...
Reply 3
Liquidus Zeromus

This is ridiculous. I know 2 people who have been vegetarian since childhood-one of which is at Oxford and came 2nd in the world championships for the type of karate he does/his weight group, the other of which is the most intelligent guy in my English Language class. Obviously this article never thought about how most children have cereal for breakfast-which is usually fortified with all sorts of bits n bobs, or that vegetarian children in particualr eat meat substitutes which are again fortified. Or that You get most of your vitamin D from the sun (and eggs are a good source anyway). Or that many many other children don't get the nutrients they need because they don't eat nearly as many vegetables as vegetarians. I mean seriously, it says 'vegetarians are stupid and it's those damn vegetarians who are buying sweets and feeding their kids crap' when that's blatently not true as a vegetarian is much more likely to be conscious about food, healthy/clean/organic eating and the environment. Why is this thread called vegan child abuse when it's about vegetarians? The only problem with vegans is protein and even that isn't difficult: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm. You can get plenty of iron from spinach. Riboflavin can be found notably in milk and eggs. Calcium can only be found in fish where you eat the bones-otherwise it's broccoli, milk and cheese. Milk is a good source of Zinc, as is wheatgerm. Nuts are a good source of copper. The biggest source of manganese for most people is tea, but you can find it in a variety of things. Brazil nuts and eggs contain selenium. Not to mention you don't need much of any of these things to be healthy.

Source: http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/healthydiet/nutritionessentials/vitaminsandminerals/

Sorry if there are typos

EDIT: and the 'children need a high energy diet but have small stomach' thing is balls too, because you don't get any energy from protein. They need to be eating carbs for that. And you can get just as much protein from a vegetarian diet
Reply 4
lol at the source
Reply 5
Fairly good source there mate. :wink:
Reply 6
tldr but... how many ******* parents truly look after their child's diet? It makes me sick when I see parents feeding their baby/toddler something full of sugar and ****, why don't you give them a fag and can of Fosters while you're at it? I think that's way worse than feeding a child a veggie/vegan diet.
Reply 7

Of course, they're sure to give a balanced argument. :biggrin:
Reply 8
elixira
tldr but... how many ******* parents truly look after their child's diet? It makes me sick when I see parents feeding their baby/toddler something full of sugar and ****, why don't you give them a fag and can of Fosters while you're at it? I think that's way worse than feeding a child a veggie/vegan diet.

Not to mention the fact that there's absolutely nothing wrong with a vegan/veggie diet if done properly-which it is for the most part. Read my post if you want to see real sources (i.e food standards agency) which prove that the article in OP's post is a load of *****.
LMAO. I'm an omnivore-for-life, yet to me, that just smacked of anti-vegetarian/vegan propaganda. Made my bull**** radar go mental...
Reply 10
Lol, um I know someone who's never eaten meat, and she looks fine to me. She's tall and gets decent grades, so what's the problem?! (I'm also a vegetarian, have been since I was 16)
Reply 11
I'm definitely going to stop being vegetarian now :frown:
I've never eaten meat in my life... I used to do loads of running and be the fastest girl in my secondary school until I had need for a larger bra size lol. Anyway I used to binge eat a lot around 13/14 and gained a lot... Then turned the other way toward anorexia and lost loads by just eating water porridge, vegetables, coffee and frozen low fat yogurt. Then I recovered from anorexia by gaining weight under a vegan diet. My skin glows thanks to lots of olive oil, avocado, nuts, smoothies, soy and carrot cake :P
Oh and Hitler wasn't a vegetarian, propaganda... Strange that people would need fake ammunition against vegetarians.
As a former vegetarian, I think that if someone decides to raise their kids as vegetarians they absolutely have to take care that they provide them with all necessary nutrients which, as the article also points out, is possible. If the parents can't take this responsibility they shouldn't do it, because then it would indeed be child abuse.
Reply 15
^^^same as the propaganda that you need to wash your rice before you cook it (IT'S CHINESE :redface:)
Mangaartist
If the parents can't take this responsibility they shouldn't do it, because then it would indeed be child abuse.

That's true for raising any child though, veggie or not. It is possible to do, and I would hazard a guess (based on the basic demography of vegetarianism and the necessary extra effort involved in being veg) that those parents who raise vegetarian/vegan children will put more effort into finding good-quality, nutritionally-balanced foods than quite a few other parents, who rely on 'baby foods' full of rubbish.

But yeah, no, seriously - wtf is with that source? That's like me quoting a neo-nazi website as PURE FACT that Jews are evil. It's just not a source, sorry!
Reply 17
That link is clearly a load of rubbish, but I do believe vegetarianism and veganism can be harmful if they're not done properly. My mum used to look after two vegan kids who were pretty much brought up on white bread, carrot sticks and peanut butter. They didn't seem to eat any protein (nuts, beans, lentils etc), and they obviously weren't getting the vitamins and minerals that they should be. It was just all the worst parts of a non-vegan diet, but even more limited because there was no meat, fish or dairy. They were both really pale, small for their age and often ill with colds and viruses. Scarily, their dad's a GP.
I'm a vegan and intend to raise my children as vegetarians. I am very nutritionally aware and know that I am not lacking in any essential minerals/nutrients and will ensure that they have the same benefits.

I think irresponsible parents are irresponsible parents - they can be veggie or not it won't make a difference. xx
Oh **** I'm probably dying right now, all because I've been raised a vegetarian. Bloody hell, I wonder why I haven't been ill since I was a child? I mean, it doesn't make ANY SENSE right, that I should be healthy? That I never get sick or get a cold, when most people I know do? That I'm slim and sporty with lots of energy, oh my gosh it just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, all of that **** was too long, I read some of it and then noticed it was spouting out a load of rubbish and gave up.

Vitamin B12 can be obtained from vegetarian sources actually. A tiny bit of Marmite, for example, contains over 60% of my daily requirement, and cereal contains more than 80%. In terms of non-fortified foods, MILK, CHEESE, and other DAIRY PRODUCTS contain Vitamin B12. I'm a vegetarian not a vegan. Vegan sources are sparse and unreliant, but there is research to suggest that there are plant sources that naturally contain Vitamin B12.

And is that thing really trying to argue that vegetarians are less clever? I was admitted into NAGTY (National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youth) when I was 12 years old or something, and only pupils deemed to be in the top 5% of the country were admitted. Am I REALLY that dumb? Hm, maybe I could link you to this RELIABLE article from the BBC that talks about a study demonstrating a link between a vegetarian diet and a high IQ. Now what do you have to say? :p:

And, news for you, children don't hate being vegetarians. I love being a vegetarian. In fact, every vegetarian I know has always loved being a vegetarian. If anything, it's a few young meat-eaters that hate eating meat - I used to have them say to me "I wish I could be a vegetarian, but my mum won't let me...". Which also leads to the question, why is it abuse to guide your children with one diet (vegetarian/vegan), and not when it's another diet (meat-eating)? Both are diets imo, if you're a vegetarian you eat more vegetables and plant proteins, if you're a meat eater you eat fatty meat. Maybe we could refer to a meat eating diet as lacking in soya? Lacking in a large amount of plant proteins? HOW ABUSIVE it is to feed your child fat laden meat and to neglect their needs so greatly for plant proteins and soya products! :facepalm:

Latest

Trending

Trending