The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

blinkbelle
TBH they're idiots. No they don't drink beer or eat bread lol, their diet is pretty ridiculous really.

I'm a normal, healthy vegan and I don't rule out yeast.. I just don't like the taste of Marmite! xx

I don't think I'd survive without bread because of my seemingly higher than average requirement of fibre just to keep ummmmm things going. I don't mind marmite but it's not something I'd buy really. I'd rather have marmite on toast than prune juice for some fibre intake. I've noticed that vegans tend to buy decent bread too from times spent in supermarkets and the such. How can anyone buy that cheap long life 'fresh' bread that falls to pieces full of hydrogenated fat is beyond me (which my brother used to, and I'm a bread Nazi).

Many breweries state whether their beers are suitable for vegans. I drink Courage Best bitter and everything's on their website, and most of them are suitable. Just I've noticed people usually cite iron deficiency as a common 'cause' for not eating meat and iron is in beer. Not all of us are teetotal.
NDGAARONDI
I don't think I'd survive without bread because of my seemingly higher than average requirement of fibre just to keep ummmmm things going. I don't mind marmite but it's not something I'd buy really. I'd rather have marmite on toast than prune juice for some fibre intake. I've noticed that vegans tend to buy decent bread too from times spent in supermarkets and the such. How can anyone buy that cheap long life 'fresh' bread that falls to pieces full of hydrogenated fat is beyond me (which my brother used to, and I'm a bread Nazi).

Many breweries state whether their beers are suitable for vegans. I drink Courage Best bitter and everything's on their website, and most of them are suitable. Just I've noticed people usually cite iron deficiency as a common 'cause' for not eating meat and iron is in beer. Not all of us are teetotal.

Flaxseed = all the fibre you'll ever need! :smile: xx
Reply 42
I do have some agreement with your argument but there's a difference. Vegetarians CAN live a healthy lifestyle by planning what they eat carefully. Vegans cannot. A vegan cannot possibly get the correct nutrients without taking supplements and in that respect I agree that forcing a child to be a vegan is a form of abuse.
Dionysus
I do have some agreement with your argument but there's a difference. Vegetarians CAN live a healthy lifestyle by planning what they eat carefully. Vegans cannot. A vegan cannot possibly get the correct nutrients without taking supplements and in that respect I agree that forcing a child to be a vegan is a form of abuse.

Source? Because that is the biggest pile of rubbish...
blinkbelle
Flaxseed = all the fibre you'll ever need! :smile: xx

Thanks. :biggrin: I used to have 80g or so of All Bran a day. Got a bit boring but satsumas are good.
Dionysus

Yes they can. It's amusing that vegans get cited for the nutrition deficiencies. I did not realise that this country were so health aware. Tell me, why are there so many fatties on the street? Why is it that so many meat eaters die of heart disease? Health militance does not work against veganism. If anything it works against others.
Reply 46
blinkbelle
:facepalm2:
I meant vegan.. I have some vegan friends who refuse to eat Marmite cause apparently yeast is a living thing!

Well, actually it isn't xD. Not in the broadest sense of the word, because they are certainly not self aware of their surroundings and the bacteria you eat is not really killed but simply passed through your gut. Are your friends aware of the some 20,000 different bacteria inside them?

EDIT : I am considering vegetarianism, but as a swimming sprinter [I need to get alot of energy down quickly] and a regular trainer would a Veggie diet be able to supply my body with 'the goods'? I am not a health expert xD
Reply 47
This is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard - I come from a family of 6 kids and we were all raised vegan and then vegetarian and we are all fine, healthy some of my sisters are extremely intelligent (elder sister got 12 A*s at GCSE and then 4 very high A's at A level) and we cant be the exception that proves the rule because in a family of 6 plus vegan parents you'd expect at least one of us to suffer from somthing if being a vegan was actually dangerous. Yes it maybe takes more consideration about the things you eat ... but surely it is better that we were taught from a young age the importance of all types of nutrition and where to get them?
Reply 48
How can anyone survive there whole life just eating vegetables. This is sickening.
NDGAARONDI
Thanks. :biggrin: I used to have 80g or so of All Bran a day. Got a bit boring but satsumas are good.

It's brilliant - I have a spoonful with my Weetabix on a morning and it really sets me up for the day! It's got allsorts of other goodies in it too. I get mine from Holland & Barrett

Ocassus
EDIT : I am considering vegetarianism, but as a swimming sprinter [I need to get alot of energy down quickly] and a regular trainer would a Veggie diet be able to supply my body with 'the goods'? I am not a health expert xD

If you read up on nutrients and a plant based diet (I recommend starting with the Vegetarian and Vegan Society websites, or just do a bit of googling) you'll be clued up on it in no time! I'm sure it's very do-able, I know plenty of professional athletes eat veggie diets.

I'd also recommend the Vegan Society's VEG1 supplement - so you've covered all bases :smile: xx
Wow, written by one person who hates vegetarians, quoting one doctor for evidence. Sometimes doctors are ******* retards. You can equally get 'expert' doctors claiming that dolphins should be legally classified as people.

Mangaartist
As a former vegetarian, I think that if someone decides to raise their kids as vegetarians they absolutely have to take care that they provide them with all necessary nutrients which, as the article also points out, is possible. If the parents can't take this responsibility they shouldn't do it, because then it would indeed be child abuse.

Fixed.
Reply 51
blinkbelle
I'm a vegan and intend to raise my children as vegetarians. I am very nutritionally aware and know that I am not lacking in any essential minerals/nutrients and will ensure that they have the same benefits.

I think irresponsible parents are irresponsible parents - they can be veggie or not it won't make a difference. xx

indeed. when i was younger, i didn't eat a whole lot of fish, and even less meat, due to my dads ethical/moral (not sure which) objections.

however, they made sure that i was never lacking in essential nutrients/minerals by making sure i got them from other food sources. i never needed to take supplements :p: and i was one of the healthiest and most active kids we knew!
Reply 52
I am 99% sure this site is a joke, but its one with a lot of effort put into it :p:.

also http://www.vegetariansareevil.com/thanksgiving.html
Reply 53
elixira
tldr but... how many ******* parents truly look after their child's diet? It makes me sick when I see parents feeding their baby/toddler something full of sugar and ****, why don't you give them a fag and can of Fosters while you're at it? I think that's way worse than feeding a child a veggie/vegan diet.

This! I see so many moron parents smoking over their baby's pram, and feeding them crisps, chocolate and McD's that I think the country has bigger things to worry about than vegetarian parents.
Whether vegetarianism/veganism is better or worse is pointless, anyone can have a healthy diet with or without meat if they plan properly.

What I dislike about militant vegetarians/veganism in general is that they turn something as simple as eating into some psuedo-religious moral cleanliness thing.

Eating meat becomes dirty. It totally smacks of the same pointless **** that is behind eating rules for religions like kosher meals or halaal.

I worry about people, who claim to be healthy reasonable human beings who feel the need to turn eating into some act of hygiene for their eternal soul, some spiritual ritual. Mostly it's just annoying to have pumped up retards use the act of eating as some way to seperate themselves from others and on flimsy arbitrary grounds use it as a basis to claim they are better than others. Makes me want to take their stupid iPad and smack it off their faces.

I dunno why it exists, it would make a very interesting paper. My initial hypothesis is that it stems from a subconscious instinct from our evolutionary past, much in the way small children avoid 'bitter' tasting vegetables because bitter has been associated with poisonous foods.

An interesting article.
http://www.motleyhealth.com/articles/2008/06/raw-vegan-diet-is-bad-for-your-health.html

And another one.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2221825/what_is_bad_about_being_a_vegetarian.html?cat=5

This one points out a link between teen vegetarianism and eating disorders.
http://www.collegenews.com/index.php?/article/being_vegetarian_is_bad_for_health_999909/

Diet is a personal choice, as long as you keep it to yourself and don't turn it into a psuedo-religious crusade as if you're the latest prophet from God than good. Live and let live. Personally I don;t see the point in going vegetarian, its a mere lifestyle choice in my eyes and nothing more, but then again I've never lectured my vegetarian friends at length why their diet is wrong.
NDGAARONDI
Probably written by someone who loves their pork pies, fry-ups, chocolate, crisps and kebabs. Cheap meat is often of a high fat content and it contributes massively to heart disease. If a vegan or vegetarian source had the same impact you'd hear about it far, far more. It's just propaganda. I've yet to meet an obese vegan.

All the vegans i know are grossly overweight.... thats why ive never held much by the argument.. vegetarians/vegans are slimmer.. they all eat lots of nuts/cheese to supplement their diet.
plus one of the vegans i know lives off crisps and chips.
its like any diet, there's a right way and a wrong way, i suppose.
~Hazzle*
She's tall and gets decent grades, so what's the problem?!

Facepalm irl.

"Tall and gets decent grades" =/= Healthy

Raising a child as vegan/vegetarian is child abuse,

Spoiler

people have such a problem with children being raised as christians/muslims but no problem with children raised as vegans/veggies? smacks of hypocrisy to me. both are belief systems, etc.
Melting Sugar.
Hahaha :ditto:

Although I was never going to be tall - just take a look at all my definitely shorter than average MEAT-EATING relatives.

Actually OP, my Mum took a LOT of care in making sure I got the right nutrients. As would any vegetarian parent planning to raise their child a vegetarian - it'd be bloody irresponsible not to. If anything, we were probably given better nutrients etc than you were, seeing as my Mum weighed out and calculated everything carefully and always home made my baby food etc etc - whereas you were still drinking follow up milk and a tub of beef and pea baby food. :rolleyes:

I think parents who smoke whilst pregnant and continue to smoke in front of their baby are probably doing worse "child abuse" than parents who raise their child vegetarian. :ta:

wow a pro-veggie website has pro-veggie figures on it, just like an anti-veggie website would have anti-veggie figures.

show me an UNBIASED source and maybe i'll believe.

until then, i'll just continue to eat seal
thedaveimperium
people have such a problem with children being raised as christians/muslims but no problem with children raised as vegans/veggies? smacks of hypocrisy to me. both are belief systems, etc.

Nice to see someone with half a brain on here.

Latest

Trending

Trending