The Student Room Group

I feel like crying - GCSE's

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Just dont get the 'odd Cs' in the core subjects or else you might not be able to study certian A Levels such as Chemistry etc
Otherwise you should do fine with a couple of As and Bs
Reply 21
just let it go and cry (or let it be if you're more into music) my friend
Your school's a bit extreme, isn't it? My school would be ecstatic if I got grades like that (although a little confused seeing as I'm in Scotland and not doing GCSEs, but you get the meaning). Try not to stress, but I totally see how hard that must be for you, I stress about my grades all the time. I want to get into a fairly good uni, and my parents are constantly reminding me that if I don't get 1's (I guess they're like As? We don't have anything like A*s) then I won't get in. My mum had a fit when I got one of my reports because I had a 1/2. I laughed at that one, seeing as I had plenty of time to fix it. They're so melodramatic. :rolleyes: You'll get into a good uni even with the odd B or C, trust me. :biggrin: It's horrible when people are making you feel like your grades aren't good enough, even though they're better than a lot of other peoples.
As someone who went to a grammar school and felt similar pressure at GCSEs (I got a B on a mock Chemistry paper and got told I was a disappointment, and I had to try harder :colonhash:), I understand how it feels. What you need to remember though, is that you probably know best what you are capable of - if a C is really the best you can genuinely do, or indeed one mistake in a perfect record, that is fine in the grand scheme of things. Also bear in mind that, at A-Level, it is a totally different ballpark. I know a lot of people with strings of As, Bs and Cs (no A*s!) who went to my old school for Sixth Form. (I did the sensible thing and moved to a comprehensive. :p:) I would therefore try not to panic too much about it. Seriously.
Personally I would quit that school and go somewhere else for A Levels. If you are getting Bs and, indeed Cs, you are doing well. There are plenty of people who struggle even to get the 5Cs they're supposed to get.
Trust me, it's better for your mental health if you go somewhere that has a more realistic grip on the world of examination results.
Reply 25
J24

Ah, OP :frown:

The problem is that you're in Year 10. And I completely understand where you're coming from because when we're in Year 10, GCSEs are the most important things in the world to us, especially when schools put so much emphasis on them (it's their job to, after all). Which is a good thing really because when you're 15, you shouldn't have to worry about much. There's no point telling you not to worry and that they're good grades really because they're obviously not to you and we're not going to change your mind when you're 15 and GCSEs are this great mountain in front of you.

So firstly, in about 14 months or so, you're going to wonder what you were so worried about and you'll be a TSR GCSE veteran able to scoff at people who are concerned about GCSEs.

Secondly, in about 24 months or so, you're going to be worried about your AS results. And you won't care what you got in your GCSEs because you'll know that good AS's will negate any bad GCSE results since you're studying subjects that contribute to your university application. For instance, I got a B in GCSE Drama. No university worth its salt is going to care. (Unless I was applying for Drama which I'm not).

Thirdly, you don't even put your GCSE grades on your CV. You put your A Level results and your degree results. So soon enough, even if it doesn't seem soon now, you won't even remember (or need to remember) what you got.

OP, you're going to be fine. You'll get good GCSE results. Just get the best grades you personally are capable of getting and no one, not your school, not your parents, not your future uni, can fault you for that.

If your school is really putting too much pressure on you, and you feel your grades are actually suffering as a result, why don't you just go to a different sixth form or a college? You might find the change of environment for A Levels refreshing. :smile:
GCSE'S arent really important. Aslong as you get 5 A-C's in the core subjects your fine.
Im a B' and C's type person and i've gotten into uni.
Okay so you are crying because of the pressure you feel due to GCSEs, what about when you get to A Level and you start applying to unis how are you going to manage the pressure if you want to get into a good uni??!!

Just don't worry about others, why should you if they do well then good for them. You should just try to do your best and enjoy the holidays, go out, go to festivals, go to the cinema, meet up with friends... this way you will forget that GCSEs even exist!! It worked for me hahahah I always forget about how I may fail A Levels until I get home...

Have a great summer!! =D
I'm really suprised that your school asked for your friend to retake. That is ridiculous. In any case people on here are right, in the grand sceme of things they don't matter. There is however some nice little tips that could help you to improve your gcse scores. Look at the Exam board website (for example AQA). Make sure you know everything about the subject you were taking from the spec, Do past papers (these really help), look at any additonal or teacher packs for example exampler essays are Very useful. Doing this is the best way to boost your grades. In my opinion the last week before your exams is the most important. You could for GCSE revise everything in 1 week provided you know exactly where to look, and what to revise.

And Please don't panic. Unis do not care as much about GCSE. The most important thing uni wise is your A levels. Dont worry most unis will accept you. If you dont have an exam now try to think about what you want to study for A level, find somthing that really interests you. I can guarantee if you do not like a subject you will do less well at it (from my experience too).

Hope this helps.
Reply 29
J24
Hi.
So, I'm in Yr 10.
I've had a few GCSE module exams recently some where okay, some i'm retaking.

I go to a Grammar school, which pressures you to achieve A*'s (Example, my friend got one mark off full marks on her Chemistry Paper 1.. she was asked to retake.)

However, everyone seems to be getting higher than me and they all seem to be pressured to retake the highest of the highs. I feel like crying because of the amount of stress and times a teacher has said they have been disspointed in my marks. Even if I come out with B's in GCSE's, Or an odd C, is that still okay or will uni's look down on me because I went to a grammar school but got a C or B overal? Teachers are not happy with these marks, but unis will be?
:confused:

I'm also going to be going to 6th form in this grammar school too, but if i do get c's and b's in my GCSEs along with some A's and A*s, i'm worried they won't want me because they keep saying they are dissapointed etc?

Also, for people that keep saying that GCSE's mean nothing, well, they mean something to me.

Sorry for changing the post.
J :yep:

is there a sympathetic teacher/parent/adult /6th former you could talk to? the school want high grades so they get more people sending their kids there are so pressurise you. see it as a positive-you will end up with decent grades. check the unis /courses you are interested in once you have your results and only resit anything you really really need to get in.
try to find a hobby that will help you relax/ get rid of yoyr frustration so you don't get so worked up in future. good luck
Reply 30
To everyone who says "wait till you get to a-levels":

GCSE's are the most challenging exams the person will have done SO FAR in their life. yes a-levels are harder, but put it into perspective PLEASE...
GCSEs are basically worthless, as long as you get 5 and english and maths it wont effect your life basically at all
confused1991
GCSEs are basically worthless, as long as you get 5 and english and maths it wont effect your life basically at all

Not necessarily as although GCSEs per se would not be a deciding factor, you can't deny that they help an person's applicant for Oxbridge.

OP: Take it easy. :smile:
GCSE's are a walk in the park compared to A levels . good luck mateyyyy
You wait till you're doing A levels and then come complaining. Seriously, no school can be that demanding, i go to a grammar school and yeah, they like you to get A's and A*'s but NO SCHOOL IN THE WORLD would make you re-sit if you got 1 mark off full marks....
I know what that feels like. I have just finished year 13 at a grammar school and i know the pressure can be unbearable but if you revise hard and you know that you've done your best, the teachers cannot ask any more of you. Don't compare yourself to others otherwise that can really add on unnecessary pressure.

I must admit as hard as grammar school was, those 7 years have been worth it as it has helped me (hopefully) get into the uni i want and is helping me on my way to my chosen career.
You'll be fine :smile:
I think only Oxbridge have the resources to look at your GCSE's relative to your school. Ultimately though your A levels are massively more important for getting into uni, they my just look at you as a late bloomer academically if you do well in your A levels.
Reply 37
Don't stress over GCSE's. It isn't worth it.

Get English Language, Maths and 3 others at grade C and above, and the world is your oyster. :cool:

Its aaaaaalll about post-16 education these days.
J24
Hi.
Even if I come out with B's in GCSE's, Or an odd C, is that still okay or will uni's look down on me because I went to a grammar school but got a C or B overal? Teachers are not happy with these marks, but unis will be?

unis don't give a damn about GCSEs. GCSEs are for sixthform/college, and even if you don't get the GCSE grades to get allowed onto the sbjects you want to take at A-level, there is no need to worry. You can always re-take GCSEs, or, as some people at my old sixth-form did, they negotiated with the school and were allowed the chance to prove that they could handle the subjects. university level stuff is so far ahead of gcse level stuff that if you get to university you will look back at the stuff you learned at GCSE level and realise how trivially simple it was in comparison - and I speak from personal experience of physics, chemistry and maths, not mickey-mouse subjects. that is why unis do not care about GCSE's.

the exams might seem like the most important things ever right now but they are really not the be all and end all. i have heard of people KILLING THEMSELVES over GCSE stress, and that is possibly the most pointless death I can think of. Don't worry about these exams, you will always have the chance to improve on them if you **** up, and a good set of A-levels will totally overshadow bad GCSEs in any case.
Reply 39
Is it really worth crying over? You don't even need GCSE's to end up in employment.

Quick Reply

Latest