The Student Room Group

Lost money. And gambling addiction.

So I'm recently 18. I've never had a job. I've spent over £10k in the last 2-3 years. A lot on sports gear, gadgets and musical instruments, but recently (last 8-10 months) I've just been consumed by gambling. Started with house games of poker for £5 here, £10 there. Now I've lost over £1,000 from gambling. I lie to my parents. I have £36.50 left, but ow a gambling friend £150 that he leant me this morning to play on pokerstars. My parents think I have £300+ also, I'm going to The Big Chill festival soon and will need money for that. I'm scared for my sanity. I still just really want to play poker as I am confident now that if i had $500+ to play with I could make a living from it if I learnt to discipline myself with some bankroll management. I'm not at a stage where I want to stop, I just can't imagine ever doing anything else other than playing poker for a living. I know it's sad, monotonous and geeky. I can't see a way out but am slowly aware I'm digging a hole. Doing maths at Bristol (grades permitting) as of October, but hate maths and have no motivation for the course, just want to get my hands on the student loan, and move out for the social side of uni. Is it legal to gamble your student loan?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Gamble your student loan? Haha your nuts.:yep: :eek3:
Josh Jones
So I'm recently 18. I've never had a job. I've spent over £10k in the last 2-3 years. A lot on sports gear, gadgets and musical instruments, but recently (last 8-10 months) I've just been consumed by gambling. Started with house games of poker for £5 here, £10 there. Now I've lost over £1,000 from gambling. I lie to my parents. I have £36.50 left, but ow a gambling friend £150 that he leant me this morning to play on pokerstars. My parents think I have £300+ also, I'm going to The Big Chill festival soon and will need money for that. I'm scared for my sanity. I still just really want to play poker as I am confident now that if i had $500+ to play with I could make a living from it if I learnt to discipline myself with some bankroll management. I'm not at a stage where I want to stop, I just can't imagine ever doing anything else other than playing poker for a living. I know it's sad, monotonous and geeky. I can't see a way out but am slowly aware I'm digging a hole. Doing maths at Bristol (grades permitting) as of October, but hate maths and have no motivation for the course, just want to get my hands on the student loan, and move out for the social side of uni. Is it legal to gamble your student loan?

You seem to have lots of disposable income AND you're going to study Mathematics.

Why not train to be a professional gambler?
Frankly it doesn't sound like you're a particularly good gambler at the moment, so I'd suggest either learning the tricks of the trade in order to make some money out of it, or giving up and seeking help. I know a couple of guys who make a living off gambling online, but if you're not going to win, and lose everything you own, then what's the point?
Reply 4
Josh Jones
Is it legal to gamble your student loan?

Aside from everything else, yes it is perfectly legal to gamble money you have acquired through a student maintenance loan. :smile:

But seriously, seek help for that gambling addiction. :erm: TSR won't help.

Though doing maths at uni can't be bad!
Reply 5
self-ban yourself now
im telling you this from experience because when you have a gambling problem it doesnt just go you wont just go "you know what im going to control myself and manage my money properly," it wont happen. Just quit, take a long break and then maybe start playing again when you probably have less pressure put on yourself
Reply 6
I do/have had some disposable income through music. And I am trying to train to be a professional poker player, it's all my mental energy ever goes into these days. I play a lot, read poker forums and blogs, look through my hand histories from day before at that start of the day.

As for tricks of the trade I recently discovered a website that lets you see statistics of poker usernames and shows if they are winning or losing players. Yesterday I deposited $150, worked it up to $450 playing 1 v 1 against only losing players. Then ran out of searches allowed for the day on the website (unless you pay to use the website) but couldn't stop myself playing and then lost the $450, playing higher stakes than I should have and against good players (although I did get hideously unlucky along the way), and now I'm super annoyed at myself because I have a free house all week next week and some poker friends are coming over and I know I can win if I don't play when I'm angry and focus - but now have no money.

And I'm annoyed because I lost most of the money when I was rubbish before I started thinking properly about decisions and understand poker more. Now I've improved a lot I'm out of money to play with.

And maths at uni can be bad! It's quite hard and I have no patience with it, although in the second year I can take lots of statistics and game theory modules which I would prefer.

And I can't imagine self banning myself, although I know it won't just go away. And I know it's a dangerous thing to get into, but really think I can do it, I maybe just need to save up some money (like £1k) and deposit it all at one time, then with $1.5k in my account I am not just going to go broke with one bit of bad luck and can hopefully win money in the long run if I continue to study my game and seek to improve.

Basically I am going to give this a proper shot (probably with my student loan), although am unsure if I am crazy of it is at all rational.
Reply 7
Josh Jones
Now I've lost over £1,000 from gambling.

Time to face the fact that you suck at poker maybe?

How about getting a job, or even (shock, horror) volunteering?

You deserve the crash and burn you'll get from playing poker.
The only way to stop gambling is to quit completely - don't say you're trying to become pro, or reading forums to get better - stop it completely.

download something like k9 web protection, then set it to block any gambling websites. this helped me a lot, I got my girlfriend to set a password so I could never get back on.

My advice, block out all links to gambling. go cold turkey or you won't quit
Josh Jones
I do/have had some disposable income through music. And I am trying to train to be a professional poker player, it's all my mental energy ever goes into these days. I play a lot, read poker forums and blogs, look through my hand histories from day before at that start of the day.

As for tricks of the trade I recently discovered a website that lets you see statistics of poker usernames and shows if they are winning or losing players. Yesterday I deposited $150, worked it up to $450 playing 1 v 1 against only losing players. Then ran out of searches allowed for the day on the website (unless you pay to use the website) but couldn't stop myself playing and then lost the $450, playing higher stakes than I should have and against good players (although I did get hideously unlucky along the way), and now I'm super annoyed at myself because I have a free house all week next week and some poker friends are coming over and I know I can win if I don't play when I'm angry and focus - but now have no money.

And I'm annoyed because I lost most of the money when I was rubbish before I started thinking properly about decisions and understand poker more. Now I've improved a lot I'm out of money to play with.

And maths at uni can be bad! It's quite hard and I have no patience with it, although in the second year I can take lots of statistics and game theory modules which I would prefer.

And I can't imagine self banning myself, although I know it won't just go away. And I know it's a dangerous thing to get into, but really think I can do it, I maybe just need to save up some money (like £1k) and deposit it all at one time, then with $1.5k in my account I am not just going to go broke with one bit of bad luck and can hopefully win money in the long run if I continue to study my game and seek to improve.

Basically I am going to give this a proper shot (probably with my student loan), although am unsure if I am crazy of it is at all rational.

whats the website called?
I'm the opposite to you I rate myself as a good player but if I win loads of money I want to quit and if I lose loads I'm so pissed of I don't feel like playing for a couple of weeks.
pokerstars is rigged get off that **** site
also, use the self ban tool they have, im not sure if they have it on pokerstars but they do on others like full tilt
Reply 12
Playing poker for a living ain't all its cracked up to be believe me I know. If you wanted to go down this road you would need to have money to spend on the learning curve, which you don't have. Get through uni alive. Only gamble what you can afford. Play low low stakes and learn the game. How to manage money etc. Then start looking at moving over to it.
Reply 13
Charzhino
also, use the self ban tool they have, im not sure if they have it on pokerstars but they do on others like full tilt

Pokerstars have it to so its all good :biggrin:
Reply 14
Sternumator
whats the website called?
I'm the opposite to you I rate myself as a good player but if I win loads of money I want to quit and if I lose loads I'm so pissed of I don't feel like playing for a couple of weeks.

lol wish I could do that. I keep playing either way :smile:
Reply 15
I'm not going to self ban myself. The website is http://www.pokertableratings.com/ and it is pretty handy, doesn't track SNG's though, just cash games. Although if your really serious you would already have something like poker tracker which is better. One of the reasons like I don't feel like stopping is that I have put some much time and money and mental energy in already and have learnt so much and gone through a lot of the learning curve that I feel stopping would be a waste. I know playing for a living is sat in front of computer monitors 8-10 hours a day, multi-tabling the grind, and is monotonous and isolated, but at least it's something I see myself enjoying for the foreseeable future, and you can work you own hours and be your own boss. I think I'm too lazy to ever get a proper job.
I got a tiiny bit addicted to the national lottery instant win games. I did a day's work at uni and got paid £60 for it. I worked sooo hard that day and totally deserved the money, but then I gambled it away in the space of an hour, and won nothing back.
I looked at my bank account then and just thought Gemma, stop it, what's the point.
Spend your money on going out and having a good time.. something you at least get something for, rather than just sitting at a computer frittering it away!
Reply 17
I just sat'd into this week Sunday Million with my FPP's, lets hope for a final table hey?
lol with more than 5000 players, its more a lottery. dont you play cash games?
I had a mate like you and now he has nothing, he's only 20 as well.. True story.

Latest

Trending

Trending