The Student Room Group

English Exams

Can anyone help me with English Exams, I adore the subject, can do essays really well when I am given the time but when I go into the exam I just cant take it! I was thinking of taking it for AS but after my experience today I dont think I could take the exam. I have ideas but in the exam my mind freezes and I just cant think how to structure it, and as the exam goes on I get more and more paniked thinking about how awful it is and I just cant go on. I eventually just give up basicly and spend the rest of the exam just writing all my thoughts down, which I know is bad because there is no structure. I can do this well when given time but just not in exams!
Reply 1
onlylittleme
Can anyone help me with English Exams, I adore the subject, can do essays really well when I am given the time but when I go into the exam I just cant take it! I was thinking of taking it for AS but after my experience today I dont think I could take the exam. I have ideas but in the exam my mind freezes and I just cant think how to structure it, and as the exam goes on I get more and more paniked thinking about how awful it is and I just cant go on. I eventually just give up basicly and spend the rest of the exam just writing all my thoughts down, which I know is bad because there is no structure. I can do this well when given time but just not in exams!

if you are naturally good at writing essays (and it sound as if you are) then it should just flow together when you come to the exam. You go into lots of detail in AS so you should be able to make lots of links between points and then your essay will flow naturally.
I'm the same and I don't think there's much that can help. The only advice I can give you is to not place as much importance on it (even though it is important). Have plenty of sleep and plan the essay in the exam before you write it. It might also help if you spend the morning reading up on the subject. If you've just driven in to school after chatting about weekend with your mates, your mind will wonder in the exam.
Reply 3
onlylittleme

the best advice i can give you is when you go into the exam - make a plan ---- let all ur ideas flow....then write your essay! i find it really helps!
Reply 4
At GCSE I was not enthusiastic about writing under exam conditions for English . However, when you get to AS/A2 you find the more you practice writing time essays - the quicker you can string together your ideas.
I usually write a plan for a 1 hr essay i would spend 10 mins, but our teacher recommended 20 mins so it is really up to u. I would also suggest working in different areas - i personally feel more comfortable writing in school than i do at home (no distractions). Also go to the exams early :P 10-15 mins as at our school the desks r rocky :smile: so u need to spend 5 mins putting tissue underneath so they do not wobble :smile: Erm and enjoy it - exams just give you a chance to express your own ideas with support from the relevant txts.
Tired now :/

Latest

Trending

Trending