The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 1
I plan to join the football team and expect to play for the 1st team definately and possibly try out for the university of london team, I haven't really achieved a great deal but my sixth form team which I was a member won the london cup this season, I also have a bunch of trophies from when I was younger nothing too major though but I believe I'm of a good standard.

I also plan to do thai boxing, I did kickboxing for a short period of time and enjoyed it.

I know it's not a sport but I may join something like a salsa club, seriously it looks cool.

How about you?, do you also know of the costs of joining societies.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Want to do rowing but I'm not sure if SOAS or ULU are doing it... if not I wouldn't mind doing volleyball and I read somewhere they do aikido, but I dunno it depends :tongue: And I'll probably joing the anime society but only if they're planning to actually do anything this year.
Reply 3
I really wanna join the tennis and badminton societies (teams). I was born and raised in Wimbledon for 15 years before moving out to Morden, and tennis was the compulsory subject at school, so I'm not bad at it. Badminton is more fun and my height gives me a small edge...
And Suki Arashi, is aikido the martial art with long Gladiator style batons? If it is, then that's the one martial art I wanted to try and do. That and fencing. Sword games in general look good, but that's the result of too much Soul Calibur II :rolleyes:
Reply 4
I plan to go along to the football and rugby open days but with no expectation of representing SOAS for either as im bloody awful. Ideally theyl simply have a general society for each as well as the representative teams so that everyone gets to play fairly regularly. Im mightily tempted to take up boxing as well.
Reply 5
an Siarach
I plan to go along to the football and rugby open days but with no expectation of representing SOAS for either as im bloody awful. Ideally theyl simply have a general society for each as well as the representative teams so that everyone gets to play fairly regularly. Im mightily tempted to take up boxing as well.

cool, soas has got a 2nd team if ou don't make the 1st team. Do you know when the open days for it are btw?.

Boxing sounds cool, did you say before that you were in the army? you must be pretty useful in self defence and the sort, SOAS as well as the university of london have many different martial arts clubs wich is good.
You should look at thai boxing also which allows you to use many points of your body for attack.
Reply 6
I'd like to take up cricket, even tho I'm pretty rubbish :redface:
Reply 7
SJ No.18
cool, soas has got a 2nd team if ou don't make the 1st team. Do you know when the open days for it are btw?.

If the SOAS 2nd team is so poor that i can get in il be both stunned and delighted.
Boxing sounds cool, did you say before that you were in the army? you must be pretty useful in self defence and the sort, SOAS as well as the university of london have many different martial arts clubs wich is good.
You should look at thai boxing also which allows you to use many points of your body for attack.

No i havent been in the army though im quite likely to join after graduating - i was in the RNR while at glasgow so maybe thats what youre thinking of. In terms of martial arts i wouldnt mind giving Krav Maga a shot.
Reply 8
zaf1986
I'd like to take up cricket, even tho I'm pretty rubbish :redface:

Ive given that some thought as well what with the Ashes fever and all that i expect there are quite a few trying it out for the first time.
Reply 9
an Siarach
Ive given that some thought as well what with the Ashes fever and all that i expect there are quite a few trying it out for the first time.

yeah, I've liked cricket before the Ashes fever, just never had the time/resources to play, plus lack of interest. Hopefully this gets the interest back up, and more people playing...
Reply 10
I'll be signing up for the ULU Karate Club! :biggrin: From what I've gathered SOAS doesn't have one. Anyhow, I've been training for over ten years now. I'd also like to try the Capoiera Society, and perhaps the Archery one as well.

Latest

Trending

Trending