The Student Room Group

Not being a SPORT enthusiast and taking a sport and exercise degree

Hi all,

I have switched between different sports many times and never really got properly GOOD at any of them. I love going to the gym, it's probably my favourite thing to do, and have been consistent with going for over 2 years now. I love going because of the way that it makes me feel after I get exercise and because I know that I'm building a stronger body.
Aside from weightlifting I've never really committed with any sport.
Because of this I wonder if I'd fit in with my peers in sport and exercise science as I'd imagine that nearly everyone taking the course would have a strong sporting background.

Just to clarify, I have enjoyed playing sports and can see myself playing one or two in university, so I have no bias against sports, it's just I don't really know that much about any of them, aside from my experience playing them and the basic rules, i.e. football, swimming, tennis, badminton.

Does anyone have any perspective on the type of things that the students in the course talk about and would it not be a good choice to take this degree (socially speaking) because I'm more so interested in the course for the performance aspect as opposed to the sporting aspect.

Thanks. 🙏
Hi, I'm not an uni student but tbh I had a similar case when applying for university, in which I've done so many sports however I didn't get to have a main sport that I'm good at, and I started applying for this sport and exercise degrees and realised that maybe is not my thing depending on the things that you're interested to learn, what I did, was go onto the prospect of each university and I ended up applying for physiotherapy degrees as this covers vast majority of sport and exercise degree, also helps you build technical skills for a job as it trains you for an actual job that the sport and exercise degree doesn't, and to be honest I went to some universities open days and having a good base about sports is not that essential as you'll see more things about the human body in relation to sport an exercise itself than just focused on an actual sport? if that makes sense?, so maybe you can consider that? I ended up applying for a physiotherapy degree with integrated masters on sport and exercise medicine for this and I feel more comfortable as I don't have a main base on sports, hope this maybe helps?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hi, I'm not an uni student but tbh I had a similar case when applying for university, in which I've done so many sports however I didn't get to have a main sport that I'm good at, and I started applying for this sport and exercise degrees and realised that maybe is not my thing depending on the things that you're interested to learn, what I did, was go onto the prospect of each university and I ended up applying for physiotherapy degrees as this covers vast majority of sport and exercise degree, also helps you build technical skills for a job as it trains you for an actual job that the sport and exercise degree doesn't, and to be honest I went to some universities open days and having a good base about sports is not that essential as you'll see more things about the human body in relation to sport an exercise itself than just focused on an actual sport? if that makes sense?, so maybe you can consider that? I ended up applying for a physiotherapy degree with integrated masters on sport and exercise medicine for this and I feel more comfortable as I don't have a main base on sports, hope this maybe helps?
Hi, thanks so much for the response and that was definitely helpful.
You mentioned that the physiotherapy degree trains you for the actual job, what skills exactly would they be teaching you that you would use on the job?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi, thanks so much for the response and that was definitely helpful.
You mentioned that the physiotherapy degree trains you for the actual job, what skills exactly would they be teaching you that you would use on the job?

at least on the university I have a firm choice I have the chance to start workplaces since year one in different settings such as clinicals, (nhs ) private is available and likewise sport industry placements in which sport exercise degree I have known that is only sport narrowed, they teach you on reinforce on your motor skills, patience, compassion, attention to detail, organization, patience and everything also linked about rehabilitation working with also different healthcare professionals in which you'll have the chance to learn from different fields as nutritions, podiatrist and even more.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #2
at least on the university I have a firm choice I have the chance to start workplaces since year one in different settings such as clinicals, (nhs ) private is available and likewise sport industry placements in which sport exercise degree I have known that is only sport narrowed, they teach you on reinforce on your motor skills, patience, compassion, attention to detail, organization, patience and everything also linked about rehabilitation working with also different healthcare professionals in which you'll have the chance to learn from different fields as nutritions, podiatrist and even more.
Sorry but when you mention nutritionists, podiastrists and other roles, do you mean that you'll get the chance to work with these type of people in the sport and exercise science degree or the physiotherapy degree?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #1
Sorry but when you mention nutritionists, podiastrists and other roles, do you mean that you'll get the chance to work with these type of people in the sport and exercise science degree or the physiotherapy degree?

from all I know and I investigated at some universities I was interested on applying I gathered that you get to work with nutritionist and physios in the sport and exercise degree, and podiatrists, nutritionist and many many more at physiotherapy degrees, I think this will vary on the universities you're applying for and their connections as well as chances on where you get to do work placements
Have you looked at all the options? Lots have sport but the focus is not about being good at a particular sport. For example:

Sport Management
Sport and Exercise Psychology
Sport and exercise nutrition

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending