The Student Room Group

A and A* students... Share your revision tips

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tamil4
I have Core 1 for Maths and Unit 1 for Econ in January...any tips? I'm on past papers with Maths and am averaging around 80% but for economics I'm getting Cs, really want to push it up!

Economics - What board? Looks like your evaluation is weak and maybe your analysis is too.
Ayone got any economics AQA essay tips... 25 mark question
Original post by theseeker
Economics - What board? Looks like your evaluation is weak and maybe your analysis is too.

AQA and yepp it's usually the 25 marker that lets me down
Original post by tamil4
AQA and yepp it's usually the 25 marker that lets me down

Ah same :smile: You doing Unit 1 and 2 in Jan or?
I always find that, although revision is essential, you can over do it. I think this what you have done, and what many others have done in the past as well. You need to cut down on the hours you are spending on revision, or you will become demotivated and bored, this means that your brain is less likely to be able to take stuff in and so all of your revision is going to waste. If you are adamant in keeping with four hours a day, then please please please break that time up with TV, reading etc. Also do as many past papers as possible as just memorising the facts isn't enough to get you through your exam. Wishing you the best results.
Original post by theseeker
Ah same :smile: You doing Unit 1 and 2 in Jan or?

just unit 1. you're doing both?
Original post by tamil4
just unit 1. you're doing both?

yeah
I do a mixture of using the computer and hand writing notes.

I'll spend about 10 minutes on each subtopic, ensuring I UNDERSTAND it, then I'll write notes of the key points on revision cards. Use COLORFUL revision cards. I either hand write the notes or use Microsoft Publisher. I then condense all the key point of each subtopic into a big mind map.

About 2 or 3 weeks before the exam, I'll read through my revision notes for about a hour. This creates new nerve pathways in my brain which means it's easy to remember Repetition moves information from your short term memory to your long term memory, meaning you're more likely to remember it as your short term memory only lasts for 7 seconds.

1 week before the exam, do as many past papers as possible, this will help you highlight parts of the topic you're weaker on and need to go over.

I also suggest you don't revise for more than 1 hour on the day before the exam, it causes stress and make's it harder to sleep. Try and relax, have a bath, and just chill out.

Their is an aspect of luck in the exam But, the harder you work, the luckier you'll get.
I like to make notes in A5 pages. For biology I divide a A4 page into 2 and I just write all the biology questions that I found in the revision guide and past papers and wrote down the answers. This way I could test my self on every journey because the booklets I made were small enough the fit in my bag and the answers came in previous past papers so I had an idea of what I was going to get asked. Furthermore it is a good way to get tested by friends, a more useful way than handing them a revision guide for them to ask you questions from.. Hope that helps! thanks
I just feel so overwhelmed by the amount of revision I have to do. I am struggling revising Psychology as I have to learn 72 case studies and nothing is going in. I have a law exam which I understand at times but not wholly and english language is annoying me as i've forgotten my terminology. I hate not being able to revise properly :frown:
Original post by mkhan9035
I just feel so overwhelmed by the amount of revision I have to do. I am struggling revising Psychology as I have to learn 72 case studies and nothing is going in. I have a law exam which I understand at times but not wholly and english language is annoying me as i've forgotten my terminology. I hate not being able to revise properly :frown:

Im feeling like this too!
Psya3??
Currently stressing out cos psychology just seems ridiculous in the amount of content which we have to cover. I feel like nothings going in!

Also have a sociology exam which I need an A in. :frown:
I HATE EXAMS
Got AAAC (silly old art) at AS, and from experience I'd say the best way to revise is to start really early, as in 3/4 months before so you can take your time to go over the content and spend the last month or so going over past papers. Hope this helps!
Reply 1192
Any tips for physics edexcel and economics & business edexcel?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1193
Any good tips on revision for psychology? Stressing out, got 5 exams in jan!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alibannany
Im feeling like this too!
Psya3??
Currently stressing out cos psychology just seems ridiculous in the amount of content which we have to cover. I feel like nothings going in!

Also have a sociology exam which I need an A in. :frown:
I HATE EXAMS

Yeah i'm with OCR but it doesn't even matter. This exam is horrible :frown: I also have a Law exam i need an A in and an English Language exam i want an A/B in :/
Print out the syllabus for the course so you know exactly what your expected to know and tick off things as you review them. This way you definately know that you've covered everything. Once you've reviewed everything on there it's past papers galore.

Also another tip, it's not about how many hours you've revised it's about how well you've understood the concepts. I used to reel everything I had learnt in the day off to myself before I went to sleep. This again is supposed to help you retain the information.
Any tips on how to remember stuff more effectively?
I understand all the stuff being taught, now it's just a matter of get it all into my brain, tidy it up and polish it...
Maths, chem, bio, phy in January...
Now, I'm just repeatedly reading over the revision guide... It don't seem to be sinking in...

Any tips for biol4 aqa and aqa economics essays?
Well recently I decided to make revision cards, basically go to asda get a pack of lined revision/note cards about 89p and try and look over your notes and retain them so they can for onto that card. I used microsoft word to type all my written notes out and used the templates under word for fact cards and wrote my notes in the space, printed them out, cut them
down to size and stuck them on the cards and then used highlighters to make it really colourful. They're so easy to revise when you have them in your hand and i think they're helping me loads. So far i've done 2 topics out of 2/7 for psychology and still have law and english to do. You may feel like your wasting your time doing this but i promise you as your typing u
your notes, you're having to think on how to dilute your notes into digestible chunks and whats important and whats too verbose. Try it :smile: Hope that helps considering i've been struggling for ages.

Any advice for Edexcel Maths?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending