The Student Room Group
University of York
York

James, N Block

Basically, I have had to accept an offer for James, N block.

I have heard that it is the worst accommodation at York, so I'm obviously not happy about this.

I just want to hear from anyone who has personally either lived there or seen it, as to whether it really is as bad as they. And be honest!

Thank you, I am eagerly dreading any replies.
Reply 1
I'm in James College although I was not in N Block last year.
I wouldn't say it was the worst accomodation at York really.
It has a good campus location although from what I remember the kitchens are a bit small but you do get to know people very quickly and make a lot friends which is nice.

Don't dread it. It might not be the best on campus but you'll still have a fantastic time at Uni!

EDIT: Plus it has been redone last summer and is a lot better than it used to be when people first said it was the worst.
University of York
York
Reply 2
is it true that there are 17 people per kitchen, and only one oven? :s-smilie:
ive got \N block and i cant help but feel ive got the short straw...
Reply 3
fazz798
is it true that there are 17 people per kitchen, and only one oven? :s-smilie:
ive got \N block and i cant help but feel ive got the short straw...

That's what the website says. (see here)

The main criticism I've heard of N Block is that the corridors are narrow which I doubt will be a persistent annoyance once you've moved in. I doubt it's as bad as the hype. Plus, the thing that makes or breaks uni accommodation is not the quality of the facilities but of your neighbours. Honestly.
Reply 4
My friend lived there last year and loved it. Although it did look like a prison cell and the kitchen is stupidly small for 17 people. She loved it though and made so many friends, plus you can cover the awful breeze block walls :p:
Reply 5
Ooo, unlucky.
N Block is old Goodricke which is a real disaster. The kitchens are no larger then 5m x 5m for everyone, and the design is very cramped and done in a 60's style. The worst part is you will have 2 Fridges and 1 freezer for 17 of you. So unless you are doing a course with few hours, then prepare to be eating out of a can.
That whole area of accommodation was designed to be modular so it could be knocked down in 10 years.....and that was back in 1960.

Welcome to the crap hole that is York.

kaytee.
My friend lived there last year and loved it. Although it did look like a prison cell and the kitchen is stupidly small for 17 people. She loved it though and made so many friends, plus you can cover the awful breeze block walls :p:

I'm sorry, but what is wrong with your friend?
It looked like a prison cell and was cramped but she loved it?
Why?
Did she say why she liked it or was it her approach to go into denial about everything because she got dumped there thus she felt that she had to love ? Due to people like your friend York Uni will never replace those asbestos ridden blocks as these students just go into complete denial about the terrible quality of the buildings.
Reply 6
Suuurely it's what you make of it....
I've accepted an offer for N block, but I'm not gonna let narrow corridors and a small kitchen ruin my first year of uni! :biggrin:
Reply 7
I'd just like to point out that Jimbo1234 is a serial doer-down of every aspect of York. Make of that what you will.

If you're put with people you get on with (and most people are), you'll have a great time.
Reply 8
Thanks for all the replies.

Heard from a few people from N block now and they have all said how much of a good time they had, so I feel alright about it now!

Bring on Uni!
Reply 9
I am also gunna be in N block :biggrin:
cant wait to meet you all
Reply 10
blacklig
I am also gunna be in N block :biggrin:
cant wait to meet you all

What room number are you?

Im N141 :smile:
Reply 11
Oh my goodness, I came across this thread totally by accident and I'm so glad I did; I had no idea N block had a bit of a reputation! Now at least I feel a bit more prepared!
N Block was buzzing last year. I know a few people that lived there who didn't ever deny that the quality of the accommodation itself is questionable (Jimbo, **** off) but they made great friends that they're now very very close to.

Latest