The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Is a year in industry actually worth it? should i just do a year abroad for york uni?

Exactly what the question is really, at York they do a year aroad OR a year in industry, will i be missing out on key skills by doing a year abroad just for the experience and so should I do a year in industry first or do the years in industry really not make much a difference??
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by flowww04
Exactly what the question is really, at York they do a year aroad OR a year in industry, will i be missing out on key skills by doing a year abroad just for the experience and so should I do a year in industry first or do the years in industry really not make much a difference??

Hi!

What course are you interested in? It might be different for different departments, so I can try and find more information for you :smile:
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by University of York
Hi!
What course are you interested in? It might be different for different departments, so I can try and find more information for you :smile:

thank you for the reply and sorry for my late response haven't been online! I've applied to biological sciences if that helps :smile:
I think this decision is between personal growth and future pathways. If you're interested in getting away and experiencing the world through a new lens (and having a fun time, which is also valid), go with a year abroad. If you're low on experience and feel pretty okay about your experiences and self-growth so far, I'd say definitely go with the industry. As someone out of uni I can tell you that industry is always going to help you. Employers today are big on experience. Better yet, you can use it to make some connections.

Quick Reply

Latest