The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York Uni accommodation

Does anyone have any recommendations on what college I should choose for my accommodation? I'm studying Economics in September.
Are they all pretty similar? Or do some have more accessibility to shops etc?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Does anyone have any recommendations on what college I should choose for my accommodation? I'm studying Economics in September.
Hi! The Department of Economics is based in Alcuin College on Campus West. So if you want to be super close to your department, Alcuin is a good place to consider. It is self-catered and the nearest college to the library. There are also a few cafes nearby.

Other colleges on Campus West that are a bit nearer to the shops are Derwent and Vanbrugh - these are catered colleges.

But it's really easy to get round on campus, and we do have a shuttle bus between campuses, so it's totally up to you where you choose!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Hazel :smile:
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by University of York
Hi! The Department of Economics is based in Alcuin College on Campus West. So if you want to be super close to your department, Alcuin is a good place to consider. It is self-catered and the nearest college to the library. There are also a few cafes nearby.
Other colleges on Campus West that are a bit nearer to the shops are Derwent and Vanbrugh - these are catered colleges.
But it's really easy to get round on campus, and we do have a shuttle bus between campuses, so it's totally up to you where you choose!
Let me know if you have any other questions!
Hazel :smile:
Thank you so much for your reply, how far are the campuses from each other? And what do the different bands mean when choosing accommodation?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

Hey i'll be studying acturial science (almost picked econ) which is also in the business/econ department 🙂 ! Have you met anyone else that has firmed York because I cant find anyone omg.
Reply 4
Original post by Aww,
Hey i'll be studying acturial science (almost picked econ) which is also in the business/econ department 🙂 ! Have you met anyone else that has firmed York because I cant find anyone omg.

i haven’t found anyone firming york yet, not from my school anyway lol kinda scary knowing there’s gonna be absolutely no one i know there **
Reply 5
Thank you so much for your reply, how far are the campuses from each other? And what do the different bands mean when choosing accommodation?

The campuses are about a 15 minute walk away from each other. The higher the band means the fancier the accommodation and less people you’ll be sharing with. So band 1 will be the cheapest sharing with the most amount of people and band 4 is the most expensive with the least amount of flatmates. For example Halifax band 1 (cheapest on campus) is £99 a week sharing with 20 people, whereas Constantine band 4 is £206-£224 a week sharing with 4.
i guess it depends on your budget for accommodation, but if you can afford it then campus east colleges (especially David Kato and Anne lister) are amazing. I went to view it at an open day a while ago. that's where I have applied to anyway 🙂 i'm studying maths this year so sorta similar lol
Reply 7
Original post by phh03
The campuses are about a 15 minute walk away from each other. The higher the band means the fancier the accommodation and less people you’ll be sharing with. So band 1 will be the cheapest sharing with the most amount of people and band 4 is the most expensive with the least amount of flatmates. For example Halifax band 1 (cheapest on campus) is £99 a week sharing with 20 people, whereas Constantine band 4 is £206-£224 a week sharing with 4.

this is so helpful thank youuu
Reply 8
Original post by ReeceV123
i guess it depends on your budget for accommodation, but if you can afford it then campus east colleges (especially David Kato and Anne lister) are amazing. I went to view it at an open day a while ago. that's where I have applied to anyway 🙂 i'm studying maths this year so sorta similar lol

i haven’t been to an open day at york i kinda just firmed it without really thinking about it lol
Original post by lavee015
i haven’t been to an open day at york i kinda just firmed it without really thinking about it lol

fair enough lol
Original post by Aww,
Same ish, I’ve got a mate doing interviews for hull York and that’s it. I didn’t do that much research so I’m going to an open day in may hopefully. You can pm me if you’d like tho

i should really find out when the open days are lmao

Hi,

The others on this thread have basically covered it, but the walk is around 15 mins between campuses - there are footpaths you can walk/cycle on which is handy. Band 1 is the cheapest accommodation and you will be sharing facilities with more students compared to the higher bands. Let me know if you have any other questions!
Reply 12

omg I've firmed york for econ too!
Original post by issyanne
omg I've firmed york for econ too!

omg cute, are you local to york or moving there ???
Reply 14
Original post by lavee015
omg cute, are you local to york or moving there ???

I'm going to be moving there!
Original post by issyanne
I'm going to be moving there!

yea same how fun

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending