The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 1
Most places ID fairly consistently, unfortunately.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
when will you be 18?
lazylazy
when will you be 18?

Not until late April. Would I at least be able to drink at the Student Union?
Reply 4
Not a clue! I don't go to Leeds sorry :frown:
At 17, you should really consider taking a year out, not just because of drinking though, but the whole social side you will be missing out on by not being able to enter the clubs. I've been on a gap year this year, just working though, and its shocking how quick its flown by :smile:

but bet you've heard that a lot though, and the decision is yours really lol

EDIT: oh dear just realised your definately going, fake id is your friend, or borrow someones ID who looks very similar to yourself, sorted! best of luck :smile:
Hi, what halls are u living in? A lot of halls have house parties a lot especially just after freshers so im sure u won't get left out much, plus I'm sure ur flat mates will be understanding once u explain ur situation :smile:
miss.x.trinity
Hi, what halls are u living in? A lot of halls have house parties a lot especially just after freshers so im sure u won't get left out much, plus I'm sure ur flat mates will be understanding once u explain ur situation :smile:

I'll be in Leodis
Reply 7
Leeds is the strictest city I've ever been in for asking for I.D. I'm 22 and look even older due to having a large beard, and I still get asked for I.D when I'm going to clubs and bars.
FaithlessInsomnia
Alright, so I skipped a year of school, so I'm going to Leeds uni at 17. How big a blow will this be to me socially? Will I be able to get into anywhere using my Leeds student card? Any advice, tips, questions?

The student union let my underage friend drink there, the Old Bar never ID's but the other one is much stricter upstairs. I mean you will blend in because you will look like every other student so should be fine.

That said SU club nights are tough on ID and after 8pm security auto ID anyone wanting to come onto the premise. So I think it will be a tough year, just say I dont have ID but I have a student card. Then say you have to be 18 to go on a Uni course they should buy that.

I thought you had to be 18 to be on a Uni course anyway :s-smilie:?
miss.x.trinity
I thought you had to be 18 to be on a Uni course anyway :s-smilie:?

Afraid not. I skipped a year of school.
Ohh sorry I missed that part lol :smile: fair do's. What course are u gonna be studying?
Reply 11
Gordon Brown went to uni at 16. I don't know what that adds to the thread, but there we are..

I would say don't worry. Going out and getting drunk isn't everything, and you will always have that to look forward to next year. There are other areas of university life where being under 18 is not an issue. Get involved in societies, sports clubs etc.
Agreed, Leeds is strict. You'll definitely need ID to get in pretty much anywhere in town, and definitely for the big nights at the SU, especially Fruity on Friday where they ID everybody. You can usually get away without it on quieter nights at the SU, and maybe some of the bars in the Millennium Square area but no guarantees. Your student card alone won't often get you in either. No point pretending it'll all be ok because you honestly will need some form of ID if you want to go clubbing etc.
Or u cud just organise loads of house parties instead :P
Reply 14
It will do you a lot of good to invest in a good quality fake ID, I would not bother going to uni without ID personally.
It depends cuz some places are really strict on ID but others arent :\
Reply 16
Can't you get in on a straight-edge kinda entrance where you don't need ID? Kinda seems pointless not letting you in if you're not drinking alcohol =']
Reply 17
Redux
Can't you get in on a straight-edge kinda entrance where you don't need ID? Kinda seems pointless not letting you in if you're not drinking alcohol =']

Never been clubbing before? :smile:

That doesn't happen.
Clubs and bars are rammed at the bar, so they won't ID you there. If they let an underage person in at the door they'll be able to to illegally purchase alcohol.

They ID you at the door AND the bar at Wetherspoons, even if all you want is a lemonade - this has happened to me and it was really embarrassing.

Some pubs will only ID you for alcohol at the bar though, depending on how quiet it is - if it's an event or a really busy night, they will probably have people on the door.
Reply 18
sam.day
Never been clubbing before? :smile:

That doesn't happen.
Clubs and bars are rammed at the bar, so they won't ID you there. If they let an underage person in at the door they'll be able to to illegally purchase alcohol.

They ID you at the door AND the bar at Wetherspoons, even if all you want is a lemonade - this has happened to me and it was really embarrassing.

Some pubs will only ID you for alcohol at the bar though, depending on how quiet it is - if it's an event or a really busy night, they will probably have people on the door.

They ID at bars here o.o;;
They do on entrance to clubs most of the time, but never to pubs really (the only time I got ID'd going into a pub was at the world cup).

Even if it's really busy the pubs don't tend to ID on the door. Maybe they do in Leeds though -shrug-
What course are you doin'?

Latest