The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I've got this very same bloody problem. I pretty much clean up as I go along (like immediately after meals etc), but then the kitchen is always so covered in their dirty plates and general ***** that it's basically impossible to go into. I washed up for them twice or so, just expecting that they'd get into the swing of things, but it isn't happening - and they do literally just leave their food lying around everywhere.

The 'running out of plates to eat off of' scenario didn't work either - they've just got so many and now they've started eating off of kitchen roll of just piling new food on top of old stuff on a plate. It's bloody icky.

Add that to the fact that the person with the bin key on his keyring takes the bins out maybe once every fortnight and you have a recipe for a smelly kitchen that pretty much wafts into the rest of the flat. Thank **** I'm on a different floor.

Reply 21
hallucination
Just stop doing it - they probably keep forgetting it was there in the first place if you keep removing the evidence.

You'd make a good CSI, haha.
Reply 22
in our flat we all wash our own... or at least that was the plan!
after every meal i go and wash up my stuff i've used as the sink is small and theres not enough room for 5 lots of washing up
but my flat mates have breakfast and leave their stuff, then lunch and leave that then dinner and leave that! so theres LOADS of dishes all over the kitchen! dirty buggers
Reply 23
dremmel
in our flat we all wash our own... or at least that was the plan!
after every meal i go and wash up my stuff i've used as the sink is small and theres not enough room for 5 lots of washing up
but my flat mates have breakfast and leave their stuff, then lunch and leave that then dinner and leave that! so theres LOADS of dishes all over the kitchen! dirty buggers

yea, thats how we started but from about july me and one flatmate (we were both on sept-sept- contracts and were returning students) have shared the load cos it was just the two of us and we reached an understanding. shes fine, its the new one that just doesnt do anything, shes well unsociable as well :confused:
man i hate dirty people, but i wont do their washing up they can do it emselves *prays for clean flatmates*
Reply 25
Update - since all my flatmates plates, cutlery and glasses etc are in the sink, they came back from uni today with a big load of new ones. Argh.
Reply 26
lol update in my flat - half the dirty stuff is my friends... she still hasnt cleaned it and has just gone home for 2 nights!
Reply 27
update on our flatmate, she's had her bf round practically since she moved in so he's our 4th flatmate AND he leaves the toilet seat up all the time :eek:
Reply 28
LibertineNorth
Update - since all my flatmates plates, cutlery and glasses etc are in the sink, they came back from uni today with a big load of new ones. Argh.

Dear god, thats ridiculous.
Reply 29
I clean the surfaces I dont do my washing up straight away but I leave it on a tray so tis all in one place and not in anyones way.
well theres only 3 girls livin in my flat so the way we work it one of us cooks the meal n they r good slap-up meals with wine and everything, one will wash up and the other will dry and put away...sorted!
Want to hear abouta REAL obsessive compulsive flatmate? I Uni halls 10 of us share a kitchen. Now, if you ask me, we have pretty much the tidiest kitchen in halls anyway (believe me, I've seen some of the others :eek: ). Everyone does their dishes after they use them... but we have one flatmate who's so anal that he goes mental about CLEAN dishes being left out! As in on the drying rack. He's like "You should just wash them, dry them and put them away as soon as your done". THAT is getting on my tits.
Reply 32
Toy Soldier
Want to hear abouta REAL obsessive compulsive flatmate? I Uni halls 10 of us share a kitchen. Now, if you ask me, we have pretty much the tidiest kitchen in halls anyway (believe me, I've seen some of the others :eek: ). Everyone does their dishes after they use them... but we have one flatmate who's so anal that he goes mental about CLEAN dishes being left out! As in on the drying rack. He's like "You should just wash them, dry them and put them away as soon as your done". THAT is getting on my tits.

sorry but ur house mate sounds perfectly reasonable to me
im just more passive and just either put up wi it or do it myself cos i hate it :redface:
Reply 33
qwerty_st/n
anyone else got this problem?

ive ended up doing all the washing up for the last week cos everyone else is too damn lazy to do it and i get really obsessive about the cleanliness of the kitchen, i dont mind doin it every now and then, esp if at least half of its my junk, but i get the feeling im being exploited for having high cleaning standards.
to be fair, one of them does cook for me and says thanks for doin it
but the other one sees that ive done it every time, its mostly her stuff and what ****in thanks do i get?

what do you suggest i should do? :frown:
Argh you just described my first year in halls. They took the piss so badly, the thing is if you leave it they aren't necessarily going to do it.
I refused to do their washing up for 2 months and we had to have a plumber fix the plug because there wasn't a plug in it but yet the water level stayed the same for the duration. Filled with organic gunk and stuff. Not to mention one of my flatmates started using the crockery for ashtrays and getting me the blame, because I smoked more than her. But I was smart enough to bring ashtrays with me grrr.

Just do your own washing up and leave a polite note suggesting you could get together and talk about it. I had one flatmate that got really angry when I mentioned anything claiming "It's a halls of residence, of course it's going to get dirty you stupid cow"

The ironic thing is that before and now I'm a total slob. Haha
Reply 34
yer, i find it ironic that my own room is disgusting, ive gotten to the point where i dont want anyone to see it cos it really is that bad, yet i cant be arsed tidying. but the kitchen, thats summat else entirely

we've left her stuff in a bowl of stale water thats been there since monday and she's piling more stuff into it, but not washing it i find it quite unsettling
Reply 35
Some of the stuff I came across in my year was bizarre. I lived with Foundation art students that used to pull utter crap out of skips and just leave it on the side. It was sickening and they once came back with this like...sculpture of a fat, ugly, naked woman in a paddling pool. Covered in various bits of gunk that I think used to be food. They left it there for ages and named it mildred.

I "accidently" knocked it off the side and broke it after 2 months, so they got rid of it. They'd never even rinsed it (maybe because the sink was full of crap)
Reply 36
woah, freaky! our problem flatmate does visual arts
Wouldn't it be lovely if you guys all lived together in halls? :biggrin:
Reply 38
argh, i suspected it would only be a matter of time. i do about 98% of my washing straight after eating the meal, very rarely forgetting about the odd knife in the bottom of the sink. but it seems that about 4 out of the 5 other flatmates don't quite grasp the concept of washing up.

i wouldn't mind as much if they kept their dirty stuff out of the way, but the sink is now a mountainous pile of plates, trays etc, when it should be a hollow type of tub in which i can wash my things. whenver i try to wash something big, i just end up getting water all up my top lol. but that's just my malcoordination. the issue is that i'm the relatively quiet type, it still hasn't been that long since everyone moved in and i'm in the minority, so it's quite hard to actually say something. also, i don't know whom all the things belong to, so i don't want to go round making accusations, or even seem that bothered and pedantic. agggh!!!
Reply 39
My Flatmates are fine about it, Occasional dish out but thats about it.. But then again that could be because our Uni has a policy that the cleaners can confiscate any our dirty dishes if they reach a stupid amount.. and charge us a fiver to get em back still dirty! Clever..

Latest

Trending

Trending