The Student Room Group

Disruptive flatmate in private halls

Living with my new flatmate has been horrible since he moved in over winter break. He's really loud from 11 pm to 9 am everyday. He has brought in a bunch of appliances to the kitchen, and there's this constant smell of weed in shared areas. I'm pretty sure his girlfriend is living here too - she's loud, invites friends over daily, and they have screaming matches at 4-7 am. The tricky part is, I'm not close to my three other female flatmates, since first year I've had really distant flatmates that seem to avoid conversation at all costs. I've talked to him twice when I've been in the kitchen late, but he always seems to be in a different world, visibly high. Confronting him is a bit scary, especially since there's no receptionist or security here. I've seen some concerning things, like him dragging his girlfriend's arm through the door (sometimes I look through the door hole when they're being loud) and boxing loudly with his "trainer" friend at 11 pm.I doubt the halls will do much beyond a warning, and I'm worried about the potential confrontation and questioning of who reported him. I don't have anyone in my university city to go to, so for now, I'm just letting it affect my sleep until my wellbeing appointment next week where i can discuss it. I thought I'd ask here if anyone has similar experiences or advice.
Original post by Aacadieoki
Living with my new flatmate has been horrible since he moved in over winter break. He's really loud from 11 pm to 9 am everyday. He has brought in a bunch of appliances to the kitchen, and there's this constant smell of weed in shared areas. I'm pretty sure his girlfriend is living here too - she's loud, invites friends over daily, and they have screaming matches at 4-7 am. The tricky part is, I'm not close to my three other female flatmates, since first year I've had really distant flatmates that seem to avoid conversation at all costs. I've talked to him twice when I've been in the kitchen late, but he always seems to be in a different world, visibly high. Confronting him is a bit scary, especially since there's no receptionist or security here. I've seen some concerning things, like him dragging his girlfriend's arm through the door (sometimes I look through the door hole when they're being loud) and boxing loudly with his "trainer" friend at 11 pm.I doubt the halls will do much beyond a warning, and I'm worried about the potential confrontation and questioning of who reported him. I don't have anyone in my university city to go to, so for now, I'm just letting it affect my sleep until my wellbeing appointment next week where i can discuss it. I thought I'd ask here if anyone has similar experiences or advice.

Hey @Aacadieoki,

I'm really sorry to hear that you've had a difficult experience with one of your flatmates. As someone who stays in private halls myself, I understand that it can be hard to know who to contact next, especially when the halls aren't connected to the university itself.

If there's no reception or security team, I would try to directly phone up your hall company/provider if possible. They should have a support/contact phone number listed on their website, and that way you can directly discuss your worries (e.g. about the potential confrontation if he finds out he's been reported) with someone who should be able to both escalate the situation further and answer any questions you might have. It's primarily their responsibility to make sure your living environment is safe, and they'll likely have policies or protocols to deal with this sort of situation.

In the meantime, well done on booking a wellbeing appointment! I know it can be tough, but it's great that you're reaching out to someone for help during this time. Have you talked about your situation with any friends/course mates? They might be able to provide some insight if they've had similar issues with their own flatmates.

Eve (Kingston Rep).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending