The Student Room Group

Moving between home and accommodation.

My friend plans to move from home into student accommodation for the next semester. Any advice you can give him?
Original post by EthanTRINH2023
My friend plans to move from home into student accommodation for the next semester. Any advice you can give him?

@EthanTRINH2023

I think it would be a good idea for him to try and get to know the people who he is sharing with.

He could knock on their doors and introduce himself or he could take time to talk to people in the kitchen

He could eat meals in the kitchen so that he bumps into more of them, though some of the flatmates might prefer eating in their rooms.

He could ask to be included in a WhatsApp group if there is one or he could start one.

He could ask the others if they want to eat a meal together or go to a university event.

The flat might hang out a lot together or they may not really to talk each other, so he should try to prepare himself for either scenario. They might want their own space/might not feel the need to welcome a new person so he also should try not to take it personally if they are more private people/ want to keep to themselves.

He should also try to find out what things have already been established/ decided already among the flatmates e.g. Do they share milk or bread or nothing at all? Can the toaster be used by anyone or does it belong to someone? Do they ever eat together as a house? Do they all give money for cleaning products for the kitchen?

Finding out early how the flatmates live together, will help him avoid problems early on.

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by EthanTRINH2023

Hey @EthanTRINH2023 :smile:

My advice would be to keep his door open when he first moves in so flatmates walking past can say hi, and he could bring a game of cards or some chocolates for example and put them out for his flatmates to break the ice / may initiate a conversation!

Good luck to your friend, I hope he settles in well to student accommodation next semester :smile:

Becky
By the way, he is still living at home at the moment. Is there anything he should do on student finance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending