The Student Room Group

Accommodation - finding potential flatmates?

I’m kind of worried about student accommodation, I have to move to go to basically all my options but I’m worried I won’t have enough to survive the first few months before I find a job. I’ve considered just going straight into private accommodation because in the areas I want to study it is considerably cheaper but I don’t have anyone to move in with. Dose anyone have any advice about finding potential housemates ?
Hi there,

You can find potential flatmates/housemates or available rooms on numerous websites. For example, Ideal Flatmate, SpareRoom or Roomies.co.uk.

Furthermore, there are multiple Facebook groups where people constanly look for housemates or available spaces. I would recommend you to join as many as possible to get to know your options and choose the best one.

Lastly, sometimes universities help their students find private accommodation and select flatmates to live with. You can ask your university if they offer such services.

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep
Original post by FritzInTheFlesh
I’m kind of worried about student accommodation, I have to move to go to basically all my options but I’m worried I won’t have enough to survive the first few months before I find a job. I’ve considered just going straight into private accommodation because in the areas I want to study it is considerably cheaper but I don’t have anyone to move in with. Dose anyone have any advice about finding potential housemates ?

Hi @FritzInTheFlesh,

Finding student accommodation and housemates can be stressful!

As it has already been said, there are a few websites and social media sites that can help you find people to live with. The Student Room also has a 'find a flatmate' forum that you could post in to find someone.

Some student accommodation providers also rent out by the room, so you might be able to find a place like this where you don't have to worry about finding housemates yourself. However, there is always the risk of being put with people you don't really click with - or finding a great friend!

I hope this helps a little,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending