The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Applications 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amit123
Could you send me the link for this please? Yeah, I graduated last summer, assuming I could maybe get a graduate job, but have been unsuccessful thus far, hence I want to pursue a Masters. Are you in your final year or graduated?

http://www.econ.qmul.ac.uk/postgraduate/msc-programmes/fees-and-funding

Yeah in my final year.
Hello,

I am a postgrad applicant from the US, currently applying to Tourism Management and Marketing courses. Any other tourism students ? We seem to be few and far between.:smile:
Reply 502

Thanks for that... Doesn't look like they offered it to me... I guess I'm not one of those "special" ones. Nevermind, I assume you are studying economics? You thinking of doing Masters
Reply 503
I'm an international student from Southeast Asia who applied 2 weeks ago and received unconditional offers last week from:

Leeds: MA in American Literature
Sheffield: MA in English Literature
Sussex: MA in Modern and Contemporary Literature, Culture and Thought

I'm still waiting to hear from my top choices, York and King's. For now, from what I've read, Sheffield seems like the closest thing to the complete package for me (interesting course, solid reputation, lively social scene). But I've also heard great things about Leeds' School of English, so I'm quite torn really. If anybody else is going after similar courses and would like to chip in here with his/her opinion (or PM), I'd very much appreciate it!
Reply 504
Original post by nmr88
I'm an international student from Southeast Asia who applied 2 weeks ago and received unconditional offers last week from:

Leeds: MA in American Literature
Sheffield: MA in English Literature
Sussex: MA in Modern and Contemporary Literature, Culture and Thought

I'm still waiting to hear from my top choices, York and King's. For now, from what I've read, Sheffield seems like the closest thing to the complete package for me (interesting course, solid reputation, lively social scene). But I've also heard great things about Leeds' School of English, so I'm quite torn really. If anybody else is going after similar courses and would like to chip in here with his/her opinion (or PM), I'd very much appreciate it!

Which writers are you used in specifically; I imagine that the Leeds, Sheffield and Sussex (and KCL's and York's for that matter) programmes differ quite a lot in focus? I have no experience with KCL or Sussex, but I have some experience with Leeds, Sheffield and York; I had offers with the latter two this year myself, but decided to go elsewhere in the end. In addition, my girlfriend comes from Yorkshire so I have had a chance to get to know the places a little and might be able to give you general advice about living there.
Reply 505
hi,

i have interviews with both birkbeck and goldsmiths for their arts management and cultural policy programmes next week. has anyone else interviewed with them already? just wondering 'cause this feels rather late :frown:

thanks
Reply 506
Hey,got my unconditional offer with LJMU,will be studying MSc Quantity Surveying and Commercial Management.It took me about 5 weeks from application to recieving the offer.Anyone one out there LJMU????
How would u rate doing Master's in Engineering field in University of Edinburgh ?
Original post by olympus123456

How would u rate doing Master's in Engineering field in University of Edinburgh ?

High. Edinburgh is good in Engineering and is overall a very respected university worldwide.
Original post by Thinker03
High. Edinburgh is good in Engineering and is overall a very respected university worldwide.

I thought so too.

However, I have been reading lately in some of the posts, quite a lot of people are mentioning oxbrigde, ucl, imperial for engineering but they fail to mention univ of edinburgh. This univ is well reputed bcuz of the research it does in engineering too.

Does this mean people under-rate it ? Which univ in US might it be comparable to ? Any ideas ?

I thought so too.

However, I have been reading lately in some of the posts, quite a lot of people are mentioning oxbrigde, ucl, imperial for engineering but they fail to mention univ of edinburgh. This univ is well reputed bcuz of the research it does in engineering too.

Does this mean people under-rate it ? Which univ in US might it be comparable to ? Any ideas ?

The main reason Oxbridge, UCL and Imperial are so highly rated in engineering is because of where they are, as within their triangle (Oxford, Cambridge, London) there are a lot of engineering companies (IBM, Microsoft, ARM, Imagination Technologies, etc in electronics... same for other engineering) and these universities are involved much better with industry, have much better job prospects etc. If Edinburgh (or something like Edinburgh) was located in London, it was definitely as highly rated as UCL. Edinburgh has great reputation worldwide in the Academic world. Some Edinburgh courses (like AI) are considered among the best in the world.

You can't compare US/UK universities like that. If you consider Oxbridge to be equivalent to the top 10 US universities, Edinburgh would be something near 50 overall. Nothing is like Oxbridge in the UK if it's not Oxbridge, only Imperial comes close in Engineering.

Dont worry much, If you're planning for a PhD, Edinburgh is an "excellent" place to be for doing a Masters.
(edited 13 years ago)
Thank you for that info.

I am going to be doing master's this year over there and I want to stay on academic side rather than joining a company or it depends on future, nothing goes as planned in my life.
Reply 512
any headed to Bangor to do an MSc in the psychology department?
I have an offer for the MSc foundations of clinical psychology, but according to the department website lots of the modules on the postgrad courses overlap. anyone else considering applying there or have applied there?
Reply 513
hi everyone:

i just received offers from both birkbeck and goldsmiths today:
(1) birkbeck--arts policy and management
(2) goldsmiths--arts administration and cultural policy

i'm really torn between both. i have an undergrad in art history and english lit. my focus is really visual art and i've been working in the contemporary commercial art industry for a bit now and really want to make sure i enrol in the programme that will best equip me to find a job after graduation.

cld anyone offer some guidance or some tips? how does birkbeck's reputation compare to goldsmiths, considering that the latter is so closely tied to art? both are tied to the university of london... does that offer any kind of prestige? the reputation of the school matters, of course, but the programme is important as well. both offer the opportunity to do work placements but i wonder if goldsmiths would be in a better position to help me the experience i want since they seem more well connected? both also offer practical and theoretical teachings, which are very important to me.

any insight would be very appreciated as i'd like to have a balanced view so i can make an informed decision. thank you in advance!
I received my acceptances for a MSc Tourism Marketing from Edinburgh Napier and Surrey earlier this week :smile:. Anyone want to weigh in with an opinion on either of these universities ? Surrey is consistently ranked #1 for tourism, but I have heard positive things about Napier from several people as well (including my former advisor), and now I am torn ! I know there aren't many tourism students around, but anyone have a general knowledge of either of these two ? TIA :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending