The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Applications 2011

Hi :smile:

I can't be the only person planning to apply this year, I thought it would be good to talk about the application process/financial matters etc.

My details are in my sig - Keele is my first choice because you can do the course in one year. I am planning on applying to charities/other organisations providing grants, because it's the only way I will find the money basically. If I can't get the money (providing I get in, of course) my second choice is Chester, although it is three years part-time.

I haven't visited any of the universities, but I'll have to go for interviews anyway.

My personal statement is nearly done, I'm hoping to apply quite early because then I'll have longer to try and find the money. Before I can I need to get a new copy of my degree certificate, which means I need to get a notory to sign the form. I've been in touch with a solicitor about it, but I'm going to have to wait until I can get time off work to go and see them.

How far have other people got with their choices/personal statement/applications?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ooh, I'll join this thread. :smile:

Haven't got very far at all yet, I'm planning to start going through my options this week. I'm not even entirely sure what direction I want to go in at the moment, but I want to work with the police eventually so I'm considering Forensic Psychology at the moment as a way to get some good experience in that area. Otherwise I'm considering something with Clinical Psychology or Mental Health, but I really don't know for sure, I love the sound of so much!

Leicester have some good courses, but my mum's not well at the moment and I'm a bit wary of going up north in case it comes to anything bad within the next couple of years, so I may stay down south to be safe. So I'm considering Kent (where I am for my undergrad!), Surrey, or possibly somewhere in London, but I really don't have a clue yet!
I will be applying for 2011 entry. Decided to take a year out and get some more experience abroad. I will post more when I finalise my application decisions.
I'm applying for 2011 entry too. Finished my first degree this summer, but I'm taking a year out for pressing medical reasons. I mean to apply to Oxford, Cambridge, and a third option as yet unchosen, all for the Masters in English, Early Modern period. (Really need to get on with choosing that third option, don't I...)

So far, I've worked on the draft of my SoP - it's still far from ready, though - and started drawing up my CV, but that's about all. Well, I've opened my application accounts on the Oxford and Cambridge websites, but filling in the basic name/address stuff is the quickest & easiest bit - it's all the statement, written work, references, etc. that will be harder to sort out. :s-smilie:
Reply 4
I've applied to Aberdeen MSc Finance and Investments, Dundee MSc Finance and Queen Mary University of London Banking & Finance at the moment for 2011 entry, I've handed in all the things required, so just waiting for a reply from them, although they have taken a while in replying. But nevermind, I might try and work this year to raise some of the funds for the course.

I'm thinking maybe to go to Aberdeen or QM as they both open up to different prospectives, where as Dundee is solely on Finance. I shall inform on the replies from each university.

Hope your application is going well
When do most places start accepting applications? I know UEA have for counselling, but I don't really like the structure of their course.

Who are people using for references? I will have one from my counselling tutor, but I'm not sure about my boss partly because I don't think she'll be very happy with me applying and partly because I work and study at the same college, so thought it might be better to get the second one from somewhere else? I have one from my old department but I don't want to use that, so I might ask my old mentor, although I'm not sure what I will do if she doesn't agree.

Liv - I have looked at psychology masters degrees (I'd quite like to go into counselling psychology one day), the one in Abnormal and Clinical Psychology at Swansea looks really good, as does the Clinical and Health Psychology one at Manchester :smile:
Reply 6
~ Mandy
My details are in my sig - Keele is my first choice because you can do the course in one year. I am planning on applying to charities/other organisations providing grants, because it's the only way I will find the money basically. If I can't get the money (providing I get in, of course) my second choice is Chester, although it is three years part-time.

I haven't visited any of the universities, but I'll have to go for interviews anyway.

Good choice! I'm studying at Keele and it's great.

I'll apply to LSE, but it's highly unlikely that I'll end up there because
a) they'll probably ask me to get a good 1st, seeing as I didn't go to a 'great' uni
b) even if they did accept me, I would have to make A LOT of money to pay for those insanely expensive tuition fees.

Anyway, if LSE rejects me or I can't afford to go there, I'm keeping Gothenburg and Aarhus as my second and third choices. I've got a greater chance of being accepted, they seem to have an OK reputation, and have no tuition fees :woo:
~ Mandy

Who are people using for references?

I will be asking my tutors from College. There are three of them, so that will cover even Oxford - which requires three academic references - as well as other places, most of which only want two.

I don't know about the admissions cycle's dates in general terms, but Ox. and Cam. both opened their applications on September 1st.
Wow you guys are early! I'm applying for 2011 entry but not until December or January. I'm at an American uni at the moment so I want my autumn semester grades to be on the transcript. Is Dec/Jan a bit late to apply?
Reply 9
OMG some people on here are super eager. I'm definitely applying for 2011 entry but I haven't even decided what I'm going to do a MSc in yet, never mind starting my personal statement or sending off an application.
Reply 10
~ Mandy
When do most places start accepting applications? I know UEA have for counselling, but I don't really like the structure of their course.

Who are people using for references? I will have one from my counselling tutor, but I'm not sure about my boss partly because I don't think she'll be very happy with me applying and partly because I work and study at the same college, so thought it might be better to get the second one from somewhere else? I have one from my old department but I don't want to use that, so I might ask my old mentor, although I'm not sure what I will do if she doesn't agree.

Liv - I have looked at psychology masters degrees (I'd quite like to go into counselling psychology one day), the one in Abnormal and Clinical Psychology at Swansea looks really good, as does the Clinical and Health Psychology one at Manchester :smile:

I think I looked at that one in Swansea too! I wouldn't want to go there personally because of the distance, but it looked good. :smile:. Not seen that once at Manchester, but it looks good. I was reading about the Forensic Mental Health course at Manchester though, it sounds so interesting, I'm considering that now!

Oh and for references, I'm not sure. Student advisor as one, but I'm not sure on the other. Could be my supervisor for my FYP I guess, but he doesn't actually know me yet, I've never even met him, so how he could write me a reference I have no idea. :\
Reply 11
Am tossing up between a MSc Finance (Imperial, LSE, Warwick are currently on the cards), or a DPhil/PhD in Maths/Computational Biology/Statistics (Oxford, Imperial, others...). *sigh*
Wow, I thought I was well prepared until I saw this thread!

I've decided the Unis that I want to apply to and what courses I want.
I think my favourites at the moment are Manchester, Nottingham, Sheffield, Warwick and York.
I'd love to go to London (LSE or Queen Mary) but I know I have a snowball's chance in hell of being able to afford it. Not sure whether I'll even apply for those, if I get in and then can't find the money I think I'll just upset myself.

Gosh, personal statement eh. Last time I did something like that was 6th form, I don't really know what to write for it! I think I'll start trying to work on it soon though.
Reply 13
La vita è bella
Wow you guys are early! I'm applying for 2011 entry but not until December or January. I'm at an American uni at the moment so I want my autumn semester grades to be on the transcript. Is Dec/Jan a bit late to apply?

not really, some people dont apply till March/April time anyway, but they tend not to get the best halls at that time, but applications for internationals are open till end of June or July I think?
Reply 14
The application process is putting me off. Personal statement , Research proposals? I don't even know where to start.
:s-smilie: :s-smilie:
Am planning to apply to Kings College London, Institute of Psychiatry for an Msc in Family Therapy for Sept 2011. i contacted the programme adminstrator and was told to wait until next year so i guess Jan 2011 would be ideal for those planning to go to KCL.

LIV1204 please check out the course outline for this course as i think i may fulfil your needs (clinical pyschology and something in mental health)

Superb maybe if you start your process early (putting docs together) if your preferred universities have the online facilities may stop putting you off..its really helped me...ave already opened an online application from with KCL and having a checklist is really helping even though i will submit in Jan 2011....
Hi all

I'm in the information gathering/'what the hell do I want to do this for' stage at the moment.

I've booked places at a couple of postgrad open days in November. I'm looking at the MA Social Research at Goldsmiths, the MSc in Social and Political Theory at Birkbeck and the Social Science MRes programme at the OU (based at Milton Keynes, not a distance learning programme).

Like you Mandy, funding is going to be a key issue for me next year. If I fail to secure any research council/charitable organisation funding then I'm looking at part-time self-funded study instead.
Reply 17
just completed final part of registration today! :wink:
Reply 18
G_S
just completed final part of registration today! :wink:

Wow that was quick! I was planning on doing it in November :s-smilie:
Reply 19
MFTherapist
LIV1204 please check out the course outline for this course as i think i may fulfil your needs (clinical pyschology and something in mental health)

Thanks, it sounds interesting. :smile: Added to my list of places to read up about!

So far I'm quite liking the sound of Forensic Mental Health at Manchester, there's a couple of courses at Leicester that sound interesting, and also Criminology with Forensic Psychology at Middlesex Uni (it's on the Hendon campus so that's why, although possibly not the best reason to consider...)

Haven't got a clue what kind of things to write for personal statements etc though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending