The Student Room Group

St. Andrews Medicine Applicants 2011 :D

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KCosmo
Definitely, they say on the website that the majority of offers are given out at late march :smile:

I emailed admssions and they said all decisions will be made by the 31st of March. Interviews end on the 18th so HOPEFULLY it shouldnt be too long until we all hear back!:smile:
Original post by KCosmo
My school have ran the project for the last couple of years, it's awesome! We're going to build new classrooms and help mary's meals etc. I need to raise about £1500 though, but I'm planning a big fundraiser soon :biggrin: Not shabby at all for a state school! :tongue:

My college is doing something like this with a group called World Challenge. We're going to Namibia but we have to raise £3155 plus anything like vacinations, equipment etc so expensive but at least it'll show commitment :smile:

You've probs already got loads of ideas but a really easy one is give people smartie tubes (with smarties in) and ask them when they're finished to fill it with 20p's. You get £12 in one tube of smarties and so far I've rasied over £400 from it :smile: \<you probably weren't looking for any ideas but heres one anyways :tongue:
I had my interview yesterday at 2.30pm :P was anyone on my group?

I am not sure how it went... the more I think about it, the more confused I get!

We should just wait until the end of March :biggrin:
Reply 1383
Original post by Anterior view
at least you have your peninsula offer:biggrin:

True :smile:
Original post by ryan118244
Sounds like you had a good interview. That is exactly what I felt like, not sure whether my grades are good enough either which is quite frustrating!!

The med school is amazing, by far the best I've seen!!

Is St Andrews your top choice?

Yes definately my top choice, it's a shame it wasnt close to a major city where hosptial attachments could mean the whole course could be taught there! But still for the preclinical grouding with the dissections and applied medicine course it almost seems to good to be true. I want in so badly :frown:
You have definately got a good chance if your a school-leaver, good to hear from you again Ryan, I'm sure you'll have no trouble getting in :wink: Top choice also?? Do you mind the extra year?

Original post by lola1993
I SO remember you! Had the interview at the same time as me! What you told me matches up with your application choices.
I was the english one who has the impy interview next week, and was discussing the NHS reforms before the interview and you told me they weren't happening in Scotland...:tongue: I clearly had done my research :wink:
Mine was pretty nice too :biggrin: Which would make a rejection even harder to deal with...
Out of interest, how long did you talk about the article for? I swear they asked me two quick questions on it, which can't have taken more than five minutes, then they moved on to general hobbies and stuff.
good luck anyway :biggrin:

Haha brillant! I can pin a face to one poster on here now :P You were the posh girl (jokes :tongue: ) thats great your on here too :smile:
Your totally excused for not knowing the NHS reforms don't apply to Scotland (for now..) since your an English school leaver, thanks for giving me a question I could answer before the interviews to gain me some confidence :biggrin: (didn't touch on the reforms at all though! haha).
In terms of the article we discussed it for a wee while actually, I'm not even sure if I had to summarise it looking back, I think we kinda had a mini discussion just on a couple of matters concerning the way it was written etc (obviously can't go into much detail here).
Still though not that hopeful of getting in, it's like 10-15 graduate slots and I am sure I have a lot of competition :cool:

Did you end up taking the article home, I did although not delibarately, not sure if its a big deal?

Did you enjoy the tour?

Good luck at impy! Hope you smash it. Let me know on this thread or via a PM how it goes :smile:

P.S Just remember randomly shaking your (presuming) Dad at the bus stop as I thought it was the polite thing to do. What post-interview adrenaline does to me hahaha!
Original post by areyousure?
I had my interview yesterday at 2.30pm :P was anyone on my group?

I am not sure how it went... the more I think about it, the more confused I get!

We should just wait until the end of March :biggrin:

Hey I got there ridicolously early to take in the sights but got offered an earlier slot, think I might of been in same one as you (and lola1993). How did it go?? What you look like?
Reply 1386
Original post by baztech
Yes definately my top choice, it's a shame it wasnt close to a major city where hosptial attachments could mean the whole course could be taught there! But still for the preclinical grouding with the dissections and applied medicine course it almost seems to good to be true. I want in so badly :frown:
You have definately got a good chance if your a school-leaver, good to hear from you again Ryan, I'm sure you'll have no trouble getting in :wink: Top choice also?? Do you mind the extra year?

Yea that's what I thought ... Dundee medical school use to belong to St Andrews and the St Andrews medics use to go there for their clinical years but then Dundee became a seperate uni ... sad times :frown:

Thats what I think, the pre clinical are the most important years anyway and then you get to go to a huge city!!

Well I hope I get an offer because it's deff my top choice :smile:
I really like the extra year, because I would want to do a the intercalated degree in a 5 yr degree anyway. Do you mind the extra year?
Original post by ryan118244
Yea that's what I thought ... Dundee medical school use to belong to St Andrews and the St Andrews medics use to go there for their clinical years but then Dundee became a seperate uni ... sad times :frown:

Thats what I think, the pre clinical are the most important years anyway and then you get to go to a huge city!!

Well I hope I get an offer because it's deff my top choice :smile:
I really like the extra year, because I would want to do a the intercalated degree in a 5 yr degree anyway. Do you mind the extra year?

Banter, well I am getting on but I honestly don't mind it one bit, time isn't really an issue for me, I still feel young for now :P
Original post by baztech
Hey I got there ridicolously early to take in the sights but got offered an earlier slot, think I might of been in same one as you (and lola1993). How did it go?? What you look like?

I was wearing a black tie and a white shirt and I was the annoying one using 3 different colours in the articles to highlight different things... where you there then ?
how did it go ?
Reply 1389
Unconditional offer can't believe it so happy!!! 2nd time lucky woooooooooo :biggrin:
gahhh St Andrews might be turning into my first choice because apparently you CAN do the european studies option there and finish it off in manc :|
Reply 1391
Hey, i have my interview on monday over skype (im from canada). I'm trying to prepare, but cant really find much- does anyone know where i can get more information, their website it pretty useless ( the medicine webpage). Where can i find stuff about the schedule and the courses. You see, i really dunno how it is there, considering here we do undergrad and must choose extra unrelated subjects even if we're doing a specific undergrad degree like health sciences. From st andrews website, i cant find out the required courses or the extra ones i may take (electives)
for people with offers, what are your conditions? three As?
Reply 1393
Original post by dearyme
Unconditional offer can't believe it so happy!!! 2nd time lucky woooooooooo :biggrin:

Well done! When was your interview if you don't mind me asking? And perhaps your UKCAT aswell? :tongue:
Reply 1394
Original post by canad
Hey, i have my interview on monday over skype (im from canada). I'm trying to prepare, but cant really find much- does anyone know where i can get more information, their website it pretty useless ( the medicine webpage). Where can i find stuff about the schedule and the courses. You see, i really dunno how it is there, considering here we do undergrad and must choose extra unrelated subjects even if we're doing a specific undergrad degree like health sciences. From st andrews website, i cant find out the required courses or the extra ones i may take (electives)

I thought that you didn't do electives when you did medicine? I may be wrong though :tongue: good luck!
Reply 1395
Original post by KCosmo
Well done! When was your interview if you don't mind me asking? And perhaps your UKCAT aswell? :tongue:

Thanks !! Interview was on the 25th Jan and UKCAT was 687.5 :smile:
Reply 1396
Original post by dearyme
Thanks !! Interview was on the 25th Jan and UKCAT was 687.5 :smile:

OOO, you were on the same day as me then! Haha, I feel a bit gutted that I don't have one now :tongue: Is it your first choice? Well done again, you must be pretty chuffed to say the least! :biggrin:
Reply 1397
Original post by KCosmo
OOO, you were on the same day as me then! Haha, I feel a bit gutted that I don't have one now :tongue: Is it your first choice? Well done again, you must be pretty chuffed to say the least! :biggrin:

It is most definitely my first choice i applied last year and got rejected but they have given me a second chance so Im super happy!!! What time was you interview?
Reply 1398
Original post by dearyme
It is most definitely my first choice i applied last year and got rejected but they have given me a second chance so Im super happy!!! What time was you interview?

Well done for your offer :biggrin: ! Can I ask what your stats were last year i.e. UKCAT , grades ... ? And were you rejected before or after interview last year ?

Just curious because I also applied last year but got rejected :frown: !
Reply 1399
Original post by SRK.
Well done for your offer :biggrin: ! Can I ask what your stats were last year i.e. UKCAT , grades ... ? And were you rejected before or after interview last year ?

Just curious because I also applied last year but got rejected :frown: !

Thanks!! Lat year UKCAT was 632.5, GCSES 10 A* and predicted grades were A*AAA and I was rejected post interview. Feedback they have was to improve UKCAT and apply when you have your ALevels and improve on the article response at the interview.

This year UKCAT was 687.5 and i had my actual A Level grades of A*AAA and i think the article discussion was still a bit pants because id pretty much forgotten about it during the first half of the interview:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending