The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Whisky Chaser
Same here for Archaeology :smile: are you going to the open day? i'm going on the 23rd but not staying over the night before

Oh I am not sure yet it depends on my parents and the school. They don't actually let us go to open days! But I doubt they'd enforce that and I really want to see the department and college, yet just had a look at the prices for a flight there cheapest so far is £250! And I have to travel to get the airport in my country as well... ughhhh
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Silent-Varjoisa
Oh I am not sure yet it depends on my parents and the school. They don't actually let us go to open days! But I doubt they'd enforce that and I really want to see the department and college, yet just had a look at the prices for a flight there cheapest so far is £250! And I have to travel to get the airport in my country as well... ughhhh

ouch, that's a lot of money for just one day. If you can't make it i can let you know what i think of it but obviously different things will appeal to us i'm sure. But have a think, if there's anything majorly important that will sway your decision either way, let me know and i'll keep my eye out
Original post by Whisky Chaser
ouch, that's a lot of money for just one day. If you can't make it i can let you know what i think of it but obviously different things will appeal to us i'm sure. But have a think, if there's anything majorly important that will sway your decision either way, let me know and i'll keep my eye out

Thanks! I hope you enjoy it and I might be able to get there anyway. I am thinking of getting a ferry over to Scotland and then a bus down there, but then it's a lot of effort for one day; although maybe I could visit in Easter.
Original post by eve_m
Haha, snap.. Or at least that what I thought, until I turned 18 last week and no one's ID'd me since, so apparently I'm not as baby-faced as I thought :smile: What time are you getting there?

About half 2.. how about you?
I hope I'm not going to be the only one there at that time.

Original post by Becadi
I thought it'd be a night of chess, but looks like it's going to be awesome.

:lol:
I guess you're going to Grey too :smile:
What subject have you applied for?
Reply 4544
Original post by Schnecke

I guess you're going to Grey too :smile:
What subject have you applied for?

I've applied for Geology :smile:
you?
I wanna know my college :tongue:.. . Come on, tell me, tell me. Is it Johnny or Stevie :crazy:
Reply 4546
Original post by Becadi
I thought it'd be a night of chess, but looks like it's going to be awesome.

Haha, I think there's an option of staying in college or going out, not sure what I'd pick as I don't do well on an 8am start with a hangover :smile: What about you? Hi, by the way, assuming you're going to Grey too?
Reply 4547
About half 2.. how about you?
I hope I'm not going to be the only one there at that time.

My train gets in at 3.30, should be there by 4.. If you meet anyone called Eve, it's probably me :smile: I'm sure you won't be alone by 2.30, should be plenty of people.
Original post by MilaneseCat
It depends. I have unconditional offers to study economics from UCL, SOAS, and Durham. If LSE rejects me, I'm not sure which I'll choose.

What about you? :smile:

Ye, pick which is your favourite. UCL and Durham are a LOT different, not sure about SOAS, apart from UCL and Durham have better reputations. and UCL has a better international reputation and Durham are climbing the international ranks, while in some cases have a higher national reputation than Durham. Durham is quite an old town while UCL is in the middle of the huge city of London.
Durham will be my first choice, I decided against applying to UCL as I didn't like it.
Reply 4549
Original post by eve_m
Haha, I think there's an option of staying in college or going out, not sure what I'd pick as I don't do well on an 8am start with a hangover :smile: What about you? Hi, by the way, assuming you're going to Grey too?

I am indeed, but definitely choosing the night out!
Sounds like it'll be worth feeling a bit rough in the morning :P
Reply 4550
Original post by Becadi
I am indeed, but definitely choosing the night out!
Sounds like it'll be worth feeling a bit rough in the morning :P

That's what I always think - and then I always feel differently in the morning :redface: What subject? I'm history :smile:
Reply 4551
Original post by eve_m
That's what I always think - and then I always feel differently in the morning :redface: What subject? I'm history :smile:

Geology :smile:
I think it'll be a great opp to see what it's like at night, because i've heard it can be a bit quiet :/
Reply 4552
Original post by Becadi
Geology :smile:
I think it'll be a great opp to see what it's like at night, because i've heard it can be a bit quiet :/

Yeah, I know what you mean. Someone I know who goes there now was saying don't believe that though, because it's basically a student town which means you get cheap nights out every day of the week - obviously more quiet than massive cities like London (which is where I live now) but not boring. And to be honest I can't wait to get out of a big city :smile:
Original post by Becadi
I've applied for Geology :smile:
you?

Maths :cool:
21/22 open day :tongue:?
Reply 4554
Original post by eve_m
Yeah, I know what you mean. Someone I know who goes there now was saying don't believe that though, because it's basically a student town which means you get cheap nights out every day of the week - obviously more quiet than massive cities like London (which is where I live now) but not boring. And to be honest I can't wait to get out of a big city :smile:

Being a fellow Londoner; anywhere's going to be cheap after London!
:biggrin:
Reply 4555
Maths :cool:
21/22 open day :tongue:?

Haha yes, ought to be a brillianttt night :smile:
Also, nice one with the Maths degree!
Reply 4556
Original post by Becadi
Being a fellow Londoner; anywhere's going to be cheap after London!
:biggrin:

I know, it'll be lovely :smile: Whereabouts in London are you? (not in a creepy way:redface:)
Reply 4557
Original post by eve_m
I know, it'll be lovely :smile: Whereabouts in London are you? (not in a creepy way:redface:)

"Norf Weezy" or in real life North West
Good ol' Metropolitan line!
you?
Reply 4558
Original post by Becadi
"Norf Weezy" or in real life North West
Good ol' Metropolitan line!
you?

North-West-ish too, more just north actually. Northern line for me :smile: How come you're leaving it for uni?
Reply 4559
Original post by eve_m
North-West-ish too, more just north actually. Northern line for me :smile: How come you're leaving it for uni?

Haven't applied to any London unis, want to experience somewhere else, and this seems like the perrrrfect opportunity.
Also, Durham is gorgeous.
You?

Latest