The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I looked at Warwick's CS reading list.
Computer Science: An Overview was a pretty interesting read, but isn't specific enough to really help you with you studies.
If you are looked for something to get you ahead then Modern Engineering Mathematics is informative.

Can I ask what university you are going to? Your department might well have a recommended reading list.
Fallen
I looked at Warwick's CS reading list.
Computer Science: An Overview was a pretty interesting read, but isn't specific enough to really help you with you studies.
If you are looked for something to get you ahead then Modern Engineering Mathematics is informative.

Can I ask what university you are going to? Your department might well have a recommended reading list.

Either Leics/Lough foundation years. Or NTU/Hertfordshire. Its just my PS is pretty bare.
Reply 3
You must absolutely read "Computer Systems: A programming approach" :smile:
Reply 4
These books are absolutely essential for anyone if they wish to call themselves a Computer Scientist.

Introduction to Algorithms by Thomas Cormen.
Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach
The C Programming Language.
Code Complete
The Art of Computer Programming by Knuth
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (honestly, learning Scheme will help you loads with programming)
Concrete Mathematics: A Foundation for Computer Science
The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering
Mastering Regular Expressions

If you read through all of that, you'll probably know more than a lot of recent CS graduates. If you even skim the content of some of these books your degree will be far easier to obtain.
Reply 5
mikejpb
These books are absolutely essential for anyone if they wish to call themselves a Computer Scientist.

Introduction to Algorithms by Thomas Cormen.
Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach
The C Programming Language.
Code Complete
The Art of Computer Programming by Knuth
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (honestly, learning Scheme will help you loads with programming)
Concrete Mathematics: A Foundation for Computer Science
The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering
Mastering Regular Expressions

If you read through all of that, you'll probably know more than a lot of recent CS graduates. If you even skim the content of some of these books your degree will be far easier to obtain.

+1 with SICP, nice!
I just got Computer Science: An Overview for £10. Win.
Reply 7
I wish I had the capability to sit and read books for fun. I'm just not that motivated to do more than 200 pages per month anymore :P
Reply 8
That's great advice if you're looking to improve your development skills, but you'll struggle to fully develop your theoretical knowledge simply throughout development, otherwise CS degrees would be pointless.

I've always fundamentally believed that people should read up and build their theoretical knowledge as much as possible during university and to develop their practical skills outside of university as well as in through summer placements, open source development and part-time work. Working outside university probably developed my knowledge far more than a full term at university did.
(edited 13 years ago)
Any more recommendations? Not too expensive?

Latest

Trending

Trending