The Student Room Group

In your opinion, what is a dream?

Meaning the one you have when you're asleep..

I know there has been a lot of research in this which will be available on the internet, although I'm interested in what other people actually believe they are..

Obviously they are fascinating (for me anyway). How anything can happen in them yet we still do not question ourselves and simply believe it is actually happening? Although sometimes you can feel you're in a dream and 'wake yourself up'.

Do you think dreams have an relation to DeJa Vu? Or from our 'soul' in it's previous life..

Or they are just what has been on a persons short term memory and that is all?

Thanks for any replies :rolleyes:
Reply 1
What is a dream?

What color is the wind?

What sound does one hand clapping make?

What's with ending your post with :rolleyes:?

All very Zen if you ask me. My belief is life is a dream. Death is the waking state. No not inspired by Inspection (promise?). Blah, look at me and my pseudo profoundness, sheesh sometimes I'm full of it.

Yeah. I hope you get more meaningful replies :rolleyes: <- added that for effect.
Reply 2
GodspeedGehenna (I think) made song long post in another thread which sums up pretty much what I'm too lazy to type out.

I do not believe in any of this 'soul' nonsense.
dmt release
Reply 4
See Inception.
Reply 5
A dream is a repeating of various memories. Why they are repeated in certain and often random ways, we don't know.

They appear real and we don't question them when they are occurring for a very simple reason. All memories can be recalled with 99.9% clarity, the problem is in the waking state our brains have evolved so that we only recall them with a very low amount of clarity (0.0001%, in many cases). If we recalled memories with 99.99% clarity in the waking state, we wouldn't know the difference between what was actually happening in the now and our memories. In dreams, however, we do not have the 'watering down' mechanism. If I recall a memory or set of memories with 99.99% clarity and I'm not able to tell the difference between it and real life, it doesn't actually matter because I'm asleep.

Have you ever woken up suddenly in the night and heard a very loud noise? The chances are the noise was a memory being replayed in your dream, but because you awoke suddenly your brain didn't get the chance to water it down. That's why lucid dreams are so ******* cool. When I lucid dream, everything feels like real life.
I wish I remembered more of my dreams :frown:
Teveth
A dream is a repeating of various memories. Why they are repeated in certain and often random ways, we don't know.

They appear real and we don't question them when they are occurring for a very simple reason. All memories can be recalled with 99.9% clarity, the problem is in the waking state our brains have evolved so that we only recall them with a very low amount of clarity (0.0001%, in many cases). If we recalled memories with 99.99% clarity in the waking state, we wouldn't know the difference between what was actually happening in the now and our memories. In dreams, however, we do not have the 'watering down' mechanism. If I recall a memory or set of memories with 99.99% clarity and I'm not able to tell the difference between it and real life, it doesn't actually matter because I'm asleep.

Have you ever woken up suddenly in the night and heard a very loud noise? The chances are the noise was a memory being replayed in your dream, but because you awoke suddenly your brain didn't get the chance to water it down. That's why lucid dreams are so ******* cool. When I lucid dream, everything feels like real life.

Hmm I found this interesting....the part about the noise I get that sometimes.
Reply 8
sweetness345
Hmm I found this interesting....the part about the noise I get that sometimes.

Dreams have always interested me.

It's strange to think that when we go to sleep tonight, memories of our past will relive themselves with such clarity that our brains will not be able to tell the difference from reality. That's how real they can be. It's only a shame that when we wake up, the details are almost forgotten.
Reply 9
Teveth

It's strange to think that when we go to sleep tonight, memories of our past will relive themselves with such clarity that our brains will not be able to tell the difference from reality. That's how real they can be. It's only a shame that when we wake up, the details are almost forgotten.

Speak for yourself, i vividly remember my dreams and can still remember a few i had years ago.
Teveth

You seem to be the dream expert haha :smile: Can i ask why do we have dream that could never possiably happen, i awaken in the morning clearly remebering my dream and knowing that what happened has never happened and is extremely unlikely to happen. And why do people have vilonet dreams of freinds and relatives dying when they have never died to form a memory of their death?
Teveth

I know, it gets forgotten ...wish we can remember our dreams :smile:

Sometimes I remember my dreams but only if the details are really good.

Latest

Trending

Trending