The Student Room Group

River Island recruitment day/interview, HELP?

So i got an email back today, saying i have been invited to a recruitment day next week, which is basically the interview right?

i was just wondering if anyone on here had been to one recently?

what did you have to do? its supposed to be 2 hours, so im guessing its more than a sit down interivew.
what questions did you get asked?
what did you wear?
how long after did you find out if you ahd the job?

any help appreciated! thankyou :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I had a two interviews at river island the first one was for christmas what they did was give me a scenario something along the line of " your going out with your friends for a meal/ party and pick out which outfit which will suit" which could be anything but i only picked up trousers and a top try picking out accessories, shoes of course etc. then when your finished you go and talk to the interviewer or the person that's doing it and they'll ask you why did you pick the outfit and in a way your kind of selling it to them.

why do you want to work for river island (clothes of course & discount) don't say though :smile:
Have you ever worked in a team
what would your manager/best friend say about you
what are your strengths and weaknesses
the last time you recieved good customer service

the second interview at river island was just the woman asking the above questions probably more but i can't remeber though but i obviously did't get the job because i was yet again nervous.

i'm thinking if it's a recruitment day i'm thinking there gonna put you into groups of 8 to or possibly 15 this is where they make the selection and getting rid of the ones they don't wont'. I had a group interview but it wasn't at river island it was for lipsy it did't get not to worry, any way you start off by writing your name of a white sticky back tape or something then you go around the group saying your name, where you come from, and what you are currently studying at the moment and what the latest fashion trend ( do a quick search on internt to know the latest fashion trend it's a must then could impress them). then you get into groups where you talk about good customer the and bad customer service.

then you later do a role play which someone is the customer, manager,and the assistant. then after the roleplaying we did another quiz of what do you think river island competitors are on the high street and so and who do you think would be a great role model for the brand it could be anybody manly celebs, singers, actors and so on. then after you fill in availabilty sheet of when you can work this is when they took people for an interview and did a 1-2-1 basically they only asked me two questions when have you worked in a team and i think why you wanna join but then my mind just went blank

hope it's useful
Reply 2
ahh thankyou sooo much! you were more than helpful!!
Reply 3
siobhanGA
So i got an email back today, saying i have been invited to a recruitment day next week, which is basically the interview right?

i was just wondering if anyone on here had been to one recently?

what did you have to do? its supposed to be 2 hours, so im guessing its more than a sit down interivew.

At my recruitment event two weeks ago there where about 14 people there. We had an ice breaker, and you had to introduce yourself by telling everyone your name, your age, and a fun fact.

After this they split us into two groups, and gave one task to each group;

- One group was asked to answer a set of questions, they were given 15 to 20 minutes to prepare a presentation. There were three questions, and they split them into 2, 2 and 3 to present the answers. One question was "Why do you want to work for River Island", another was about where do you get your knowledge of fashion from and how do you keep up to date. And I can't remember the third question, might have been what do you think is good customer service.

- The other group (the one I was in), was asked to pick a celebrity couple and create two outfits for each person - one smart, one casual. Pretty simple this one, as you work as a group to put together the outfits and then you present back to the other group why you picked those outfits. We did Katie Perry and Russell Brand.

After this we were then taken into the staff room, asked to wait, and then given one to one interviews.

what questions did you get asked?

During the one to one interview you get asked the normal question; "Why do you want the job", "Describe an occasion were you went out of your way to give excellent customer service", "How would your friends or previous employers describe you as a person". There was one other which has escaped me, but they also ask you about days you can't work, and uniform size.

what did you wear?

I wore trousers and a shirt rolled up at the sleeves, and I was the smartest dressed there. The other three guys (2*17 year olds, 1*16 year old) wore jeans and t-shirts. So the guys weren't dressed smart, or that fashionable in my opinion, but they were pretty dressed down.

The girls wore a range of things. The girl next to me wore a skirt, a fancy top, and a jacket. Another girl wore a dress with those black leggings. Another girl wore tight fitting jeans and a low cut top showing everything she has got every time she leaned forwards etc... So basically a range of fashionable clothes but no suits.

how long after did you find out if you ahd the job?

Unfortunately I was on the second recruitment event. They had held one the Wednesday before and had taken on 11 new temporary staff, so they were only looking for a couple more. But I had my interview last Wednesday, and I found out about my result the following Wednesday that I didn't get the job. I felt it went well, but the week before reduced the amount available. Also of those who went, only two of us were older than 18. I was the second oldest at 21, the other was 22. So the rest might have been picked because of them being able to pay them less than us... but that might be me making an excuse lol

Anywho it should be pretty quick as they want their temps to start training asap. Hope that helps, if I'm not too late.
Reply 4
MikeW975 thankyou ever so much! i couldnt have asked for any more detail you gave me everything haha thanks!! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Hey guys well I've got an interview for River Island next Tuesday and they call it 'Recruitment Event'.

Firstly, I'm not sure what to wear.....They say:
'You should wear what you feel represents the River Island brand. We don't expect you to wear a formal suit but wear something you feel comfortable in.'

I'm planning on being fully 'River Island Geared' eg. Carrot cuffed jeans....Hi tops...White T-Shirt and a 'Blazer type cardigan'...Is that ok?:s-smilie:

Lastly, does anyone know what they ask/make you do at this event?....Apart from the obvious question...'Why River Island?'.:confused:

Thanks Guys!:biggrin:
Reply 6
For my interview i just wore a river island tshirt, some boutique jeans and plimsoles - they want to see you atleast show some interest in the brand but don't go overboard! Just dress how you normally do, they're more interested in your personality.

For the interview we were in a group of 5 or 6. We had an icebreaker, introduced our self, favourite tv show etc. We were then sent off in groups of 2/3 to choose an outfit we felt a certain celebrity they chose for us would wear to an event. We got given JLS and the event was a night out so I just chose some military clothing, boots etc - i'd seen a picture of them wearing the jacket so it was fairly easy. Then when we were dressed we went back to the table and explained why we chose what we did and the other manager who didn't know who we were had to guess.

Afterwards as a group we had to give a presentation on why we wanted to work there, what we could bring etc then went home.

Got a call the following day offering me the job! Just me and someone high up in the companies niece got the job.

Good luck and just be yourself! Try to take control of the group tasks if possible, not in a pushy way but use logic and common sense to get the group focussed and on track.

Any other questions just let me know, i'm sure not all branches follow the exact same interview format but i'm guessing it's similar.
Reply 7
I have an interview next friday im sooo nervous its my first interview :biggrin:
Reply 8
Mine is pretty much the same as the post above. Played a few games like the alphabet word memory thing and just discussed infront of everyone why you chose what you are wearing.

During this people are taken to have their interview where we were asked to pick an outfit for a night out. Then explain why you chose it and describe an item of your picked clothing as if it was to someone on the phone who hasnt seen it before.

Then you would get the usual interview questions "what is good customer service?" and "explain a situation when you have helped someone" stuff like that.

Its probably best to try and talk alot during the discussions so they know you arent shy and all that
Reply 9
Original post by Master.K
Hey guys well I've got an interview for River Island next Tuesday and they call it 'Recruitment Event'.

Firstly, I'm not sure what to wear.....They say:
'You should wear what you feel represents the River Island brand. We don't expect you to wear a formal suit but wear something you feel comfortable in.'

I'm planning on being fully 'River Island Geared' eg. Carrot cuffed jeans....Hi tops...White T-Shirt and a 'Blazer type cardigan'...Is that ok?:s-smilie:

Lastly, does anyone know what they ask/make you do at this event?....Apart from the obvious question...'Why River Island?'.:confused:

Thanks Guys!:biggrin:

Hey how did it go,,did you get the job??? i had my interview today and someone told me if they ask you what size t-shirt you would need that means you got the job,they asked me so hopefully its true :smile:
Anyone know how long it takes for them to get back to you if you're unsuccessful. The manager yesterday said that she won't have time to ring people to let them know they've got it until the weekend, but unsuccessful people get an email through? Anyone know how long it takes for that to come through?
Nevermind, they just got back to me and I got it. So next question... what do you wear to the induction???
Reply 12
I had an interview for Topshop/Topman which they called a 'Recruitment Event' and what they said to you sounds pretty similar to mine, and I also have a friend who went for an interview at River island and got the job. Don't wear office/formal clothes. At my interview, a girl turned up in a suit and heels and just looked very silly and out of place, as did a guy in a suit - you are dressing how you would if you actually worked there, so wear all River Island! Obviously don't look too scruffy though, just dress like the shop assistants do when you go in there. Basically, they want you to sell the brand with your dress sense.

You will probably have a group interview and do some games like perhaps dressing a mannequin for a certain occassion or producing a poster about customer service, just working in groups. I'd suggest you practice and think of loads of ways to provide good customer service and how to sell the brand, because they will really hammer that home to you (even though their customer service is terrible in my local river island...) Remember to speak up, DON'T INTERRUPT PEOPLE and be really really bubbly.

You'll then probably have a 1-2-1 interview, where they will again ask you about customer service, team playing and describe a situation and ask you how you'll deal with it.

If you're a confident and bubbly person then you should have no problem! good luck
Reply 13
Original post by linkdapink
Nevermind, they just got back to me and I got it. So next question... what do you wear to the induction???

Lucky you i thought mine went really well but I didnt get it :confused:
Reply 14
Original post by lara_ox
Hey how did it go,,did you get the job??? i had my interview today and someone told me if they ask you what size t-shirt you would need that means you got the job,they asked me so hopefully its true :smile:

Hey sorry for the late reply, but yeah umm my interview has been rescheduled to end of june sometime! Bonus for me because my exams are over by then! :biggrin:
Reply 15
I've worked at two different River Island stores now and both times were different. My first recruitment event was in a River Island store, we had to choose an outfit from the shop floor for an occassion chosen by the manager and we had to say why we choose it.... remember to talk about the latest styles and trends (research them!)... what you see people in magazines and on tv wearing etc. My second store I worked at was oxford circus branch, i had my recruitment event in the job centre which was really weird lol. We had quite a few of us in a tiny room and they gave us a piece of paper and we had to write down a list of customer service skills etc, they watch the groups closely to see who speaks up the most, who is confident etc and who knows what they're talking about, so don't be shy and stand out!!

Good luck x
Reply 16
This all sounds very sad and pathetic. Is this how low they stoop now when it comes to interview processes?
Reply 17
this thread is just what i needed! got my interview/recruitment event in just a few weeks and yea i'm pretty nervous about it just because i don't really know anything about fashion. I guess i'm alright at talking in general but not when it comes to fashion.

any tips anyone can offer me? to prepare i'm thinking I'm just going to answer possible interview questions and revise them, get some river island clothes to dress up and go in (i've only ever bought one t-shirt from there lol) and try to get up-to-date on latest fashion trends, would be good if i could get some help on that.

the whole idea of working in groups to make posters or dress up a mannequin sounds a bit daunting :/ hopefully i'll be more confident when i know more about river island fashion :/

thanks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Skill
This all sounds very sad and pathetic. Is this how low they stoop now when it comes to interview processes?

Unfortunately yes. I had an interview with them a couple of weeks back which involved explaining why I liked River Island clothes, what my hobbies were and why I thought retail was the job for me. I responded that I needed the cash, I was looking for a summer job after all not a sodding career in a clothes shop. Needless to say I didn't get the job :p: but I've found a different one for the summer now anyway so it's all good :smile:
Reply 19
If im asked 'why i am wearing what i am wearing' ? what type of answer should i give ? :smile:
I'm planning to wear Chukka boots.. with carrot jeans and a T shirt from All saints which im probobly going to change to a river island t shirt to make em happy lol Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending