The Student Room Group

Can't get a job

I am a second year uni student. I have been applying for several jobs a day. Attended multiple interviews yet still can't get a job. The whole thing is really demoralising. I don't know how to get a job. I dont know how Im going to be employed in the future if I can't even get a job now.
Reply 1
Original post by someone9999999
I am a second year uni student. I have been applying for several jobs a day. Attended multiple interviews yet still can't get a job. The whole thing is really demoralising. I don't know how to get a job. I dont know how Im going to be employed in the future if I can't even get a job now.

I suggest joining Enactus UK, Google and sign up as a member( it’s free), then find the society at your Uni and join. They always have plenty opportunities like fast tracking straight to the interview stage when applying and access to activities where you meet recruiters, plus you get hands on experience working on great projects. Don’t lose hope, the more you apply, the higher your chances are of finding something✨
Reply 2

Are your CV/cover letter tailored to every job?

Have you had any feedback on why you weren't successful? Why do you think you havent actually got a job; self-analyse and think about what you were bringing to the table and anything you couldnt answer at interview? Are you applying to roles you could realistically do or just anything? But do remember you have done well getting to that stage, so you clearly have something to offer.
Original post by Surnia
Are your CV/cover letter tailored to every job?

Have you had any feedback on why you weren't successful? Why do you think you havent actually got a job; self-analyse and think about what you were bringing to the table and anything you couldnt answer at interview? Are you applying to roles you could realistically do or just anything? But do remember you have done well getting to that stage, so you clearly have something to offer.
Variety of places including Burger king - I've went to interview twice and got rejected. I think on the basis of not having experience. Because they asked me if I had fast food experience which I did not have. So I just feel stuck right now.
Original post by Maybach.
Have you tried looking at volunteering?
I already have alot of different volunteering stuff on my CV like at charity shop, library, sport etc.
Why does being a 2nd year uni student have anything to do with it?

A job is not a god given right cause you want to go to uni.
Original post by Straight-talker
Why does being a 2nd year uni student have anything to do with it?
A job is not a god given right cause you want to go to uni.
Nothing. It was just that I've been looking for a part time job from the start was all I've meant, not just started recently. And also why I wanted part time job as opposed to full time.
Nothing. It was just that I've been looking for a part time job from the start was all I've meant, not just started recently. And also why I wanted part time job as opposed to full time.
No one honestly cares you're a student.
Original post by Straight-talker
No one honestly cares you're a student.
Ok... I know? it was just a post? It was merely background information.
Reply 9
Have you had a look at local facebook groups for jobs? some are very good
On the way to a degree and can't stack shelves or flip burgers

I know mcdonalds take on a lot of students. So they are worth a try if you havent already.
Try local cafes/restaurants/pubs etc. They are more likely to take on someone without experience.
Reply 12

Try leisure centres I started when I was 16 and you don’t need experience to be a swim teacher or lifeguard you just need to know how to swim The pay is like £13.71 an hour and it can go up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending