The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

dd4483
I think magazines, newspapers and shows like the x factor are responsible for creating this illusion of 'celebrity' that so many young people aspire to these days.

I agree with your viewpoint that celebrities are a fairly uninteresting aspect to our culture, but I don't agree that having such a viewpoint makes you so unique or clever. It's fairly common to be uninterested in prominent figures in entertainment.
dd4483
I think magazines, newspapers and shows like the x factor are responsible for creating this illusion of 'celebrity' that so many young people aspire to these days.

What's so great about being on the cover of The Sun/Closer/heat etc....is it really that much of an achievement?

I doubt these so-called celebrities earn as much as we are led to believe...if it was that easy to amass such a fortune by singing a few songs, everyone would be rich. It seems to me that this whole concept of celebrity is based on lies, to try and make people envious and thus aspire to be like these celebrities.

Talk to any group of teens these days - all the girls want to be cheryl tweedy or jordan, all the boys want to be david beckham. Why? Whatever happened to when people looked up to scientists, inventors and prominent government figures? The people who really make a difference in the world.

And surely it is somewhat dangerous to label girls like cheryl tweedy as role models - soon enough, impressionable young girls will think its OK to beat people up, cover themselves in tattoos and leave school with no qualifications in the deluded comfort that they will 'make it' on some reality show. In my opinion, simon cowell is just using her as a poster-girl for the x factor, building this (warped) image of her as some sort of icon, to tell people "look, this could happen to you". I think its outrageous that someone like her is being paraded as an almost saint-like figure in the media. It's very dangerous indeed.

We may not feel the effects of such dumbing-down of society now, but we may well do in years to come.

I agree, count me in... :smile:

In my country, i find that most teenagers have seelfish views of life... They are happy as long as they have money and fame... None of them cares where the country is going, neither do they want to contribute to it...
dd4483

What's so great about being on the cover of The Sun/Closer/heat etc....is it really that much of an achievement?

I doubt these so-called celebrities earn as much as we are led to believe...if it was that easy to amass such a fortune by singing a few songs, everyone would be rich. It seems to me that this whole concept of celebrity is based on lies, to try and make people envious and thus aspire to be like these celebrities.

Talk to any group of teens these days - all the girls want to be cheryl tweedy or jordan, all the boys want to be david beckham. Why? Whatever happened to when people looked up to scientists, inventors and prominent government figures? The people who really make a difference in the world.

And surely it is somewhat dangerous to label girls like cheryl tweedy as role models - soon enough, impressionable young girls will think its OK to beat people up, cover themselves in tattoos and leave school with no qualifications in the deluded comfort that they will 'make it' on some reality show. In my opinion, simon cowell is just using her as a poster-girl for the x factor, building this (warped) image of her as some sort of icon, to tell people "look, this could happen to you". I think its outrageous that someone like her is being paraded as an almost saint-like figure in the media. It's very dangerous indeed.

We may not feel the effects of such dumbing-down of society now, but we may well do in years to come.

i agree with you, Dr Brian Cox, Dr Richard Dawkins would make a better roll model than celebs that promotes hair straightners, i do believe our population will end up like this classic film "http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/"
Reply 23
To be honest its a bad world when people aspire to be a model with a totally fake body, or a pretty half-talented member of a pretty much pointless and un-original band (Girls Aloud). Buts its like that so we have to just get on with it. Theres movies 'staring' big actors playing some people with REAL and IMPORTANT jobs like lawyers, firefighters or police officers so why aren't the lawyers, firefighters or police officers the real life heroes. Someone gets shot or loses a limb fighting for the country or a police officer dies doing his job and they are in the paper once. Amy Winehouse snorts cocaine and shes in the newspapers endlessly!! Wheres the justice in that. The Ashley Cole debacle was in the papers week in week out, probably bagging him and cheryl BAGS of cash, but a slodier saves his entire infantry from a hail of bullets and grenades and doesn't even get help from the government. Wheres the justice?!:mad:
Reply 24
I'm with you dd4483.

I would love it if all the cheap magazines, full of wafer thin insights in to culture, folded overnight.

Or, just for once, I want to see some great architect or painter put on the front page of Heat.

Some people are famous for very good reasons though- they are very talented. I think of someone like the artist Lucien Freud or the film director Ridley Scott. Some people are not compromised by becoming celebrities - the insight in to that world can actually enrich them.

And I think that I'd actually love to live somewhere like Los Angeles because it's not really pretending to be something that it's not- or when it does, it does it well. Unlike the pedestrian sense of 'glamour' that we often have in the UK.
(edited 13 years ago)
Oh my God you're so unique! Blah blah blah! Blaaah! Go get Bren, k?
Reply 26
Come live in our village. Its lovely, someone wasn't served at the butchers because the butcher hadn't seen him in the village before.
Reply 27
dd4483

Lol im not into celebrity culture, usually people with low IQ's or chavs are obsessed, but celebs arent people to look up to, if someone says they wanna be like beckham if its for skill then that make sense if your a footballer, but if you are obsessed for the money or lifestyle then your probably not smart enough to become something
i hate celebrities
dd4483

Blad, i get you. Mans feels your pain :wink: .
No, in all seriousness i do very much dislike celebrity culture. However, i do think their is a different between being famous for an actual talent and being famous because the public get a sick pleasure out of reading how many 'boob jobs' you've had or how much weight you've gained. I was actually on a bus heading to college in the morning and a group of girls (they couldnt have been older than 14) came up to the top deck of the bus. They were talking about a lecture they had in a school assembly about uni and one girl said she wasn't really listening because she wont be going to uni as she will be a WAG by the time she's 18 (20 at the latest):eek3:. Sad, sad times indeed
Reply 30
Sorry people I think a lot of you misinterpreted me saying "Am I the only one...".

I didn't mean it to sound as if I was unique or anything, it was merely a figure of speech.

My apologies!
Of course you are not the only one. Lots of people agree. It's a load of ***** that only amuses the great unwashed.

You Zerg. I was a gold protoss player, but switched to Zerg. Its too hard keep loosing to Terran. Harrass with mutas have like four bases, then I lose.

Zerg sucks, switching back to protoss.
Reply 33
look up the book the denial of death
Reply 34
Simplicity
You Zerg. I was a gold protoss player, but switched to Zerg. Its too hard keep loosing to Terran. Harrass with mutas have like four bases, then I lose.

Zerg sucks, switching back to protoss.

Try Banelings, Zerglings and hydras :wink: Tanks are a bastard. You could use Mutas instead of Hydras but I prefer the shared tech-path for armour. With burrowed banelings sitting underneath their army, terran are GG. :smile: Make sure you upgrade too.

I don't like using mutas because toss/terran have decent AA. More of a raiding unit then a massed battle unit, unless you upgrade them. Banelings are the key unit here.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 35
It's not a particularly new phenomenon is it? By the 60s the Beatles were already bigger than Jesus. Marilyn Monroe is still recognised worldwide today, but how many could tell you why?

Maybe culture is dead, but really it just gives someone as worldly and intelligent as the OP to stand out from the riff-raff.
stemo
To be honest its a bad world when people aspire to be a model with a totally fake body, or a pretty half-talented member of a pretty much pointless and un-original band (Girls Aloud). Buts its like that so we have to just get on with it. Theres movies 'staring' big actors playing some people with REAL and IMPORTANT jobs like lawyers, firefighters or police officers so why aren't the lawyers, firefighters or police officers the real life heroes. Someone gets shot or loses a limb fighting for the country or a police officer dies doing his job and they are in the paper once. Amy Winehouse snorts cocaine and shes in the newspapers endlessly!! Wheres the justice in that. The Ashley Cole debacle was in the papers week in week out, probably bagging him and cheryl BAGS of cash, but a slodier saves his entire infantry from a hail of bullets and grenades and doesn't even get help from the government. Wheres the justice?!:mad:

^^This
I completely agree, too many people aspire to be 'famous' but famous for the wrong reasons, I don't care if they can kick a ball past someone into a goal, that has no meaning, i do care about how our country is run, discoveries, soldiers, the country etc. but due to this celeb culture, everyone is corrupted.
About the Amy Winehouse topic, i completely agree, she will get more coverage then the average person because she can sing, woopdedoo.
Another would be a skiing incident maybe a year ago, i can't remember who it was, but she fell over and got brain damage and shortly died, and it was reported in the news for ages, groups on facebook were made and then an idea to make helmets law comes in, whereas people have been dying past few years due to same reason, where is justice in that, thy care when someone famous dies, but not someone who's living a regular life.
(Ok this is a bit big and worded badly, please ignore :smile:
Reply 37
Chumbaniya
Yes, you are the ONLY one. You are a unique snowflake.

Goddamnit, that is, word for word, what I was about to write.
Preaching to the converted here...
Reply 39
OBAG09L
It's not a particularly new phenomenon is it? By the 60s the Beatles were already bigger than Jesus. Marilyn Monroe is still recognised worldwide today, but how many could tell you why?

Maybe culture is dead, but really it just gives someone as worldly and intelligent as the OP to stand out from the riff-raff.

Personally I'd say that Marilyn Monroe was very clever in playing the innocent yet seductive yet also cleverly amusing blonde so well. Cameron Diaz has a similar quality in There's something about Mary.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending