The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Its up to you, but if i were you id keep it as its your families surname and theyve had it for generations and all that jazz. You never know, your family may be funny about it if you change your surname.
Reply 81
My surname is 12 letters long and I wouldn't change it for anything.
No one would give a **** about what your surname is anyway.
Reply 82
In2deep
It is so obvious yet so many people just bought it :sad:

btw, you sent of your UCAS app and I haven't :eek3:

I got 12 days :s-smilie:

lool yeah what course do you want to do?? My references havent been added yet though :s-smilie: :s-smilie:
There was actually a study done with job applications - the same CV with only the surname different was sent to umpty offices. THe one with the more English sounding surname had far more interview offers.

I'm not saying its right, just that it happens.

And other famous people frequently change their name to suit their country. James Khan (now Caan - Dragons Den) for instance.

And not to mention the royal family...
Reply 84
in all honesty i think your ancestors will be happy with you changing your surname to something else :smile: , as you just said you deny any relation to them due them being muslim and you hate muslims lol.....or the name is muslim....which doesnt make sense but hey, im guessing it originates from a country which is mainly muslim.

Go ahead i think not only you would be happy with the decesion!
Reply 85
Bonged.
Don't change your family name. It's insulting to your ancestors.

But if you think about it, most of his ancestors had a different surname.
zxh800
I hate to be pedantic but it's interesting to see you've used a superlative for the negative type of muslim and only "ok" for the better type. Are you trying to suggest practicing muslims can't be great people?

:no: I am not suggesting that.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 87
Annoying-Mouse
:no: I am not suggesting that.

Awesome :biggrin:
most atheists i know have christian surnames.

also, you are a troll so idc
Reply 89
So they have internet access under bridges now. Interesting...
Reply 90
I love the fact the OP is being given so much stick, when infact, if you convert to Islam it's the norm to change your name to an 'Islamic' one. Whey should it be any different in the reverse?
Reply 91
Hm, I think I shall contribute to this thread with what little I know and am familiar with. In my country, it was normal (or rather, necessary) for Chinese people to change their surnames to sound less Chinese, in order to avoid riots. I was lucky, in the sense that I never formally adopted my father's surname in my passport, else I might have to change "Chan" to "Tjandra" or something like that.

My point being, you are not going to be shot to death just because you don't have a surname that doesn't sound white (still wondering what the hell a Muslim surname is btw :s-smilie:), and your name is part of who you are. So if you want to change it for the sake of trying to "fit in" better, nobody will condemn you ... but just don't regret it in the end.

Also, if this is trolling, here = :troll:
Reply 92
Toffee_kid

Erm..... You do know that there are many Muslim areas of the world other than Asia? North Africa, for example. How about the more Oriental areas of Asia, eg. Indonesia? Or parts of Europe?? I believe Bosnia, Kosovo, Albania, and Turkey, among other places, have quite a significant Muslim population. My point is, there is no such thing as a Muslim face.

Good point, but wrong example, my friend :wink:

Yeah, I have no idea wtf a Muslim face is supposed to look like :teehee:
Reply 93
hmm there's something about changing your surname I don't like. Just seems like an integral part of my identity. Changing forenames is fair game though I guess. I mean if you're called Robert khan it sounds less muslim and more british integrated if thats what you're going for.
Reply 94
Steevee
I love the fact the OP is being given so much stick, when infact, if you convert to Islam it's the norm to change your name to an 'Islamic' one. Whey should it be any different in the reverse?

That's actually a very good point. I really can't see a difference.
Reply 95
Is that Blanka?
change it to 'fuc*ing prick'!!!
Anonymous
I am from a Muslim country and my family is also Muslim, but they do not practice it. I have a problem because I hate Islam and Muslims, and I do not feel comfortable with my surname as it is a Muslim surname.

But then I am in a dilemma because it is my family surname and has been so for so many generations, so idk. What would you do if you were me?

Should I change my surname or just leave it?

I would change my name to:

Prime Minister.

'Hello, Mr Minister' - they would say.

On the phone - 'May I just put you on hold, Mr Minister...'

On verifying my phone bill account details - 'Sir, may I have your full name please?'

Me- 'The name is Minister, Prime Minister.'

Mr Minister, Sir, Mr Minister.....

Anyway, to the OP's question:

Erm, yeah do what you want. :h:
Reply 98
thewiseone
VERY well put... almost deserving of +rep tbh

Ah, so close and yet so far away :sad:
Persephone.
[[General blatherings]]

You genuinely expected me to go out of my way to flick through all of your previous posts to gain clarification on a painfully ignorant comment of yours?

Don't be daft.

Latest

Trending

Trending