The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

jacketpotato
Fantasy thinking. That level of charity does not and has never existed. It didn't exist before WW1/WW2 when we had people living in complete poverty, and it didn't happen when Thatcher reduced the top rate of tax specifically to try and create a giving culture.

Why should the taxpayers fund them though?
charlotte-rose
Basically OP, do you mean benefit recipients should get some form of currency that can only be used for essentials, as opposed to GBPs?

Yes, so basically no boob-jobs, no alcohol, no cigarettes, no computer games for the kids, no tvs, no computers (job centres and libraries have them) only essentials.

I separated utility bills because thats more like mortgages and rent and would have to be settled with a particular company.
The_Male_Melons
I do have a problem with someone over a counter knowing whether someone is on benefits or not. It can be open to abuse.

Ive already said years ago when people collected their giro it was from the post office, the post office assistant would know.

The_Male_Melons
Would the government essentially be paying Tesco for so and so purchasing food items? Would it lower or higher?

Well, it would be easier if it was just with tesco. But the idea is more 'voucher scheme' rather than the shop they're spent in.

The_Male_Melons
What if someone wants to buy kosher meat but their local tesco does not sell it?

Beggars cant be choosers

The_Male_Melons
It is difficult to govern and due to administration costs. It would cost the country a lot more.

We're talking on the scale of billions here, i cant see how it would cost more than the current administration costs. I did also say im not sure on the cost and nobody in this thread could be sure.
im so academic
Not the "rape" argument. :facepalm2:

Yeah, because every single one of the THOUSANDS of teenage mothers were raped. :rolleyes:

In response to your second paragraph - absolutely disgusting. Why the hell should the taxpayer literally FUND the life of a teenage mother like that?

I never once said that every single one of the thousands of teenage mothers were raped I said WHAT IF a girl was raped and got pregnant then what would you do, also I said this does happen to a SMALL MINORITY

but not all teenage mothers are like that, I know a good few and the ones I know don't get benefits they're single mums still living at home with jobs to support them and their babies and at college on a night doing courses to better themselves and do right by their children
Martyn*
**** you you Tory scum. I've been going to the gym since I was 21 and it was and has been a support for me, and it is part of my life. So shove your Tory Snob views where the sun doesn't shine. Haven't you got a fox to hunt or something? Scum.

Coming from someone living off of other people's money?

So now the definition of a snob is someone who thinks you should earn your own money? Dear oh dear....

How are you on the internet, doesnt that cost money? Oh let me guess, you're in a library........ (sarcasm)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 45
There are these strange concepts called the morning after pill and abortion.

Yes I'm male and have "no idea what it's like". If you got no welfare for making a bad choice in life I'm pretty sure you'd weigh up ~£150k to raise a kid to 18 vs. a (not literal) coathanger.
charlotte-rose
WOAH.
Teenage mothers? Generalisation much? I know pleanty who have the money, time and space and are fantastic mothers.

Do THEY have the money or does the guy (not the dad) who theyve temporarilly shacked up with have the money?

'temporarilly' being the key word....
(edited 13 years ago)
Charlottie93
I never once said that every single one of the thousands of teenage mothers were raped I said WHAT IF a girl was raped and got pregnant then what would you do, also I said this does happen to a SMALL MINORITY

Forced abortion? :dontknow:

but not all teenage mothers are like that, I know a good few and the ones I know don't get benefits they're single mums still living at home with jobs to support them and their babies and at college on a night doing courses to better themselves and do right by their children

Even then, it should be education first, then children; not at the same time and deffinitely not the other way round.
I think you should never go into politics. Please.
Panda Bear
I think you should never go into politics. Please.

Whys that, you and your 5 kids would suffer?
FMFChris
So you're proposing we make PREGNANT TEENAGERS and INNOCENT CHILDREN homeless, penniless and entirely unable to fend for themselves?
Why punish the child for what their parents do?

No forced adoption or abortion for teenage mother if they cant afford to support them their selves
future_hopeful_uk
Whys that, you and your 5 kids would suffer?

Yeah, definitely don't go into politics. What a **** response. I'm sure many others have said this but that suggestion is ludicrous and would never work.
brokenangel
No forced adoption or abortion for teenage mother if they cant afford to support them their selves

People seem to struggle on TSR, their little left-wing brains dont quite comprehend common sense.

Look at the moron Martyn, he starts a thread saying he should be able to choose which jobs he takes when hes offered one, whilst on benefits.

He also thinks he should have his gym membership paid for by the taxpayer and then thinks anyone who disagrees with the above is suddenly a snob.

Martyn, we're not snobs.... its just that you think you're 'average' when you're actually part of the underclass mate....
(edited 13 years ago)
Panda Bear
What a **** response.

Oh and your 'dont go into politics' wasnt?

Atleast i justify my views...

Panda Bear
I'm sure many others have said this but that suggestion is ludicrous and would never work.

Yes a grand total of 2 people and one of them has his gym membership paid for by the taxpayer....
Reply 54
brokenangel

0/10, poor trolling. :rolleyes:
future_hopeful_uk
Oh and your 'dont go into politics' wasnt?

Atleast i justify my views...

Yes a grand total of 2 people and one of them has his gym membership paid for by the taxpayer....

With that crap idea what more justification did I need to add to my statement? Not that our governments don't come up with some absurd ones too. So I guess by all means go for it.

I haven't read his comment but just because he has his gym membership paid by the taxpayer doesn't make his opinion wrong.
Reply 56
Vouchers don't pay bills.
Reply 57
future_hopeful_uk
People seem to struggle on TSR, their little left-wing brains dont quite comprehend common sense.

Look at the moron Martyn, he starts a thread saying he should be able to choose which jobs he takes when hes offered one, whilst on benefits.

He also thinks he should have his gym membership paid for by the taxpayer and then thinks anyone who disagrees with the above is suddenly a snob.

Martyn, we're not snobs.... its just that you think you're 'average' when you're actually part of the underclass mate....

No, you're definitely a snob if you're using the term "underclass" and disregarding people for being left wing. Maybe you should go back to using daddy's money to fund your golf lessons, you irreparable scrote. :smile:
Reply 58
im so academic
Why should the taxpayers fund them though?

What the christ would you know about the taxpayer? Knock the wannabe tory pish on the head love, you're 14.
Reply 59
future_hopeful_uk
Why can't the Government negotiate with Tesco to purchase 100 billion in vouchers for say, 85 billion pounds? (The figures arent equal because the Government could argue tesco is guaranteed extra business when some benefit receivers could have shopped at ALDI)

What does everyone else think?

Well a procurement exercise would be needed for a start. Otherwise ALDI would complain.

Also you need to be able for people to be able to get to the selected retailer(s).

Not so easy in the hebridies.

Latest

Trending

Trending