The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

MALIK HAMID
It would be extremely foolish for two unemployed people to have a child. The child and parents are all going to have a very poor quality of life.

Why do you think this? I grew up in a benefit claimant family, my parents did work till I was about 5 but I was too young to remember before that and we had a reasonable quality of life, no holidays abroad and no expensive games consoles or electronics but the worst we had was we couldnt afford to decorate house or buy brand name foods, it was lucky my dad was a excellent cook and could make something out of nothing as they say.

It was also lucky my dad was good at fixing electronics so any luxuries we had like tv were often off a tip or from a friend and repaired, so a £200 tv would be fixed for £20-£30 and lasted us a few years, same for vcr's and even my Commodore 64.

And we had amazing holidays to the beach in a chalet from social work, I loved it and if I had the cash now would buy the chalet, sadly it was damaged beyond repair in a storm one year.
Quady
That would be fine arguement had the previous administration been running a balanced budget before the crisis.

However it was breaking the EU guidance of 3% of GDP.

Square that one.

Governments don't always run a balanced budget, especially when we're in times of strong economic growth (as we were before the recession). As long as the budget is balanced in the long-run, i.e. over a 7 year business cycle, then it doesn't really matter. And if the recession hadn't hit, we would have been able to balance the budget quite comfortably.
Reply 82
The Next Left
Governments don't always run a balanced budget, especially when we're in times of strong economic growth (as we were before the recession).

As long as the budget is balanced in the long-run, i.e. over a 7 year business cycle, then it doesn't really matter. And if the recession hadn't hit, we would have been able to balance the budget quite comfortably.

Just because governments often don't do the right thing doesn't mean they are right. I don't expect you'll be coming to the coalisions defence when they do things that other governments do if it is seen as the wrong thing to do.

They didn't balance the budget over a 7 year cycle ('00-'07 let alone '03-'10).

How could we have been able to balance the budget comfortably? Browns budgets (ie when he was still Chancellor) for '07-'08 and '08 to '09 didn't balance, let alone balance over the cycle.

What you are saying is 'if there hadn't been a bust the budget would have balanced' even though thats hardly balancing over a cycle and you have no evidence for it balancng even if you ignore that.
Indieboohoo
Not a good idea not very realistic either.
There should just be a limit to how much benefit you are allowed or a certain amount of years and they should cut it off. There is no excuse to not have a job within 5 years.
That story about that stupid woman who never had a job and used her money to spend on a boob job really pissed me off :dry:

Depends on circumstances. My mum hasn't had a job for over 5 years as my dad became ill and she had to look after the family single-handedly. That IMO is a good enough reason not to have a job. Now we're all growing up she'll be able to get a part time job and support herself, my dad, and my brother. :yep:
(edited 13 years ago)
Quady
Just because governments often don't do the right thing doesn't mean they are right. I don't expect you'll be coming to the coalisions defence when they do things that other governments do if it is seen as the wrong thing to do.

They didn't balance the budget over a 7 year cycle ('00-'07 let alone '03-'10).

How could we have been able to balance the budget comfortably? Browns budgets (ie when he was still Chancellor) for '07-'08 and '08 to '09 didn't balance, let alone balance over the cycle.

What you are saying is 'if there hadn't been a bust the budget would have balanced' even though thats hardly balancing over a cycle and you have no evidence for it balancng even if you ignore that.

Why do you say it's the wrong thing to do? All governments will run budget deficits because they are beneficial to an economy.

You're right, I don't have any figures saying it would have been balanced, because it never happened due to the recession. It is just common sense to note we weren't exactly going to crumble just because of the unbalanced budget.
drbluebox
Why do you think this? I grew up in a benefit claimant family, my parents did work till I was about 5 but I was too young to remember before that and we had a reasonable quality of life, no holidays abroad and no expensive games consoles or electronics but the worst we had was we couldnt afford to decorate house or buy brand name foods, it was lucky my dad was a excellent cook and could make something out of nothing as they say.

It was also lucky my dad was good at fixing electronics so any luxuries we had like tv were often off a tip or from a friend and repaired, so a £200 tv would be fixed for £20-£30 and lasted us a few years, same for vcr's and even my Commodore 64.

And we had amazing holidays to the beach in a chalet from social work, I loved it and if I had the cash now would buy the chalet, sadly it was damaged beyond repair in a storm one year.

I really don't understand the mentality that your parents must have had... Surely every parent wants to provide the best possible quality of life for their children? Fair enough, you got by OK but if you were your parents wouldn't you have worked bloody hard so that you could have holidays abroad, games consoles, a nicely decorated house, branded foods, and a new TV? I'm not saying you didn't have a good childhood and I'm sure you'll say that you didn't need those things to have a good time but if I was a parent I would work hard so that my children could have all of those things regardless of whether or not they are actually 'needed'.

I don't mean to insult your parents or anything I'm just making a point for debates sake.
MALIK HAMID
I really don't understand the mentality that your parents must have had... Surely every parent wants to provide the best possible quality of life for their children? Fair enough, you got by OK but if you were your parents wouldn't you have worked bloody hard so that you could have holidays abroad, games consoles, a nicely decorated house, branded foods, and a new TV? I'm not saying you didn't have a good childhood and I'm sure you'll say that you didn't need those things to have a good time but if I was a parent I would work hard so that my children could have all of those things regardless of whether or not they are actually 'needed'.

I don't mean to insult your parents or anything I'm just making a point for debates sake.

How do you know they didnt work hard? as it happened my mum did a lot of voluntary work at a local handicapped school but kept getting turned down for full time positions, they just used her to be honest considering they hired a college leaver with no experience who called the kids retards often and was a vile piece of work.

And my dad who was unable to work as he would of died even doing many basic things ran his own charity helpline and did a lot of admin and saved many thousands of lives.

Why should my parents buy those things? they are hugely superficial, I have noticed many 18-25 year olds these days basically with no respect for money and often other people bar their friends who think they arent luxuries anymore but essentials.

I wouldnt of wanted to go abroad anyway, at most I would rather have gone to the holidays I did go on but have more disposable income.
Vile, backward, ridiculous, idiotic...
I love how people on here are simplifying it so much - "If they don't like it, they can just get off benefits", and that we should stigmatise being on benefits for everyone. Wow, I envy your lives if everything is so simple. The stigma of living on benefits is bad enough as it is, when coupled with the stigma of having two parents who are very ill and cannot work because of this, so you want to add more stigma on? All I can say is that I hope the thread starter never becomes a politician.
gosh what an original idea
i don't think anyone in history has ever come up with something as imaginative and insightful as this
******* good on you man
you'll go far
madders94
I love how people on here are simplifying it so much - "If they don't like it, they can just get off benefits", and that we should stigmatise being on benefits for everyone. Wow, I envy your lives if everything is so simple. The stigma of living on benefits is bad enough as it is, when coupled with the stigma of having two parents who are very ill and cannot work because of this, so you want to add more stigma on? All I can say is that I hope the thread starter never becomes a politician.

mate, he'd make a great politician. stigmatisation is one of the best methods of social control. as long as he doesn't have a lisp or some kind of horrible tv-unfriendly disfigurement he'll be fine
MALIK HAMID

"working hard" does not guarantee you any of those things, or even make obtaining them significantly more likely

and seriously, branded foods? branded foods. how i would have loved to be able to have branded foods as a child :moon: nahhhhht.
drbluebox

Your childhood sounds rather like mine :p: - only difference being my Dad walked out when I was four! But in lots of ways very similar to mine :smile:
drbluebox
How do you know they didnt work hard? as it happened my mum did a lot of voluntary work at a local handicapped school but kept getting turned down for full time positions, they just used her to be honest considering they hired a college leaver with no experience who called the kids retards often and was a vile piece of work.

And my dad who was unable to work as he would of died even doing many basic things ran his own charity helpline and did a lot of admin and saved many thousands of lives.

Why should my parents buy those things? they are hugely superficial, I have noticed many 18-25 year olds these days basically with no respect for money and often other people bar their friends who think they arent luxuries anymore but essentials.

I wouldnt of wanted to go abroad anyway, at most I would rather have gone to the holidays I did go on but have more disposable income.

Oh, I'm sorry, from your first post I got the impression your parents were perfectly able to work but chose not to, obviously not.

That's what benefits are there for, to help the disabled and those who can't find work.

The reason I would say it was foolish to conceive a child whilst on benefits is that the only way you can support it is through more benefits, which is not fair to the taxpayer, especially when many people have more and more children just so that they can receive more and more benefits, you know the types I mean I'm sure. I will revise my idea to say that 1 child conceived whilst on benefits is acceptable and should be counted as normal.

As for your point about young people having no respect for money... What do you mean by 'respect for money'? Money is just a means of trading work for products/services, it has no material value in itself. If you don't spend your money, its a waste, you've effectively traded your work for useless paper... I don't think that young people think that luxuries are essentials, but I think that most young people agree that they would rather have luxuries than useless paper in the bank... About young people not having respect for people outside of their own friendship group - how can you possible respect or disrespect someone that you see in the street and don't even know? I don't understand what you mean? If you mean things like playing loud music at night in a residential area, not standing on a bus to allow an elderly woman to sit or something similar, then yes I totally agree with you but I think its a minority of 18 - 25 year olds who are like this even though the percentage is probably higher than people in other age groups so don't generalise. (I'm sure older generations were like this too at the same age?)
MALIK HAMID
I will revise my idea to say that 1 child conceived whilst on benefits is acceptable and should be counted as normal.

oh thank heavens
finally i know what is normal
what ever would i have done without you
littleshambles
"working hard" does not guarantee you any of those things, or even make obtaining them significantly more likely

and seriously, branded foods? branded foods. how i would have loved to be able to have branded foods as a child :moon: nahhhhht.

This is the same debate I was in yesterday... "Does working harder equal better pay". I said that it does and I still stand by that now...

Branded food I agree that as I child, and still now, I really don't care whether food is branded or not but not being able to afford branded food was an example that he made so I used it as a part of my argument. Either way, I would want good quality food for my children, regardless of whether they care about it or now.
MALIK HAMID

As for your point about young people having no respect for money... What do you mean by 'respect for money'? Money is just a means of trading work for products/services, it has no material value in itself. If you don't spend your money, its a waste, you've effectively traded your work for useless paper... I don't think that young people think that luxuries are essentials, but I think that most young people agree that they would rather have luxuries than useless paper in the bank... About young people not having respect for people outside of their own friendship group - how can you possible respect or disrespect someone that you see in the street and don't even know? I don't understand what you mean? If you mean things like playing loud music at night in a residential area, not standing on a bus to allow an elderly woman to sit or something similar, then yes I totally agree with you but I think its a minority of 18 - 25 year olds who are like this even though the percentage is probably higher than people in other age groups so don't generalise. (I'm sure older generations were like this too at the same age?)

Pretty much a more extreme form of that, I go to a college or uni course and dont get included because of my age or apperance hence I am judged on what their standards are based on age.

Just last week I was in a student bar(well in student part of town) a guy and girl came in aged 18-20 at oldest and handed out free entry passes to everyone who looked under 23 but every single person who looked older than that(in my eyes due to fashion and build) not a single person got a free entry voucher or even acknowledgement of existance.

I went into a student bar aged 24 and was told by a person in there they though 24 was too old to be clubbing.

I have lived in various student accomodation over the last 3 years and not had a single property that hasnt had students getting drunk often, talking about money like its easily available i.e "oh I have maxed out my student overdraft of £1500 and 3 credit cards, never mind I will get another student account and more cards" and getting a taxi to a 5 minute walk to a bar for the pettiest reasons like its spitting with rain despite having stuff like brollys, taking drugs, legal highs or not like they cost the same as getting a bottle of juice from corner shop.

Basically unless you fit into someones limited range of accepted standards they think you are the one with the problem.
MALIK HAMID
This is the same debate I was in yesterday... "Does working harder equal better pay". I said that it does and I still stand by that now...

oh right. well i'm certainly convinced. cheers again man

Branded food I agree that as I child, and still now, I really don't care whether food is branded or not but not being able to afford branded food was an example that he made so I used it as a part of my argument. Either way, I would want good quality food for my children, regardless of whether they care about it or now.

:congrats:
littleshambles
oh thank heavens
finally i know what is normal
what ever would i have done without you

What the hell are you talking about? Obviously you didn't read my previous post in which I said that children conceived by parents on benefits should not be counted as existing for the purposes of future benefits? I revised my argument to say that 1 child conceived whilst on benefits should be counted as it normally would be. Stop being so arrogant.
littleshambles

:congrats:

sarcastic?

Latest

Trending

Trending