The Student Room Group

AQA PSYA3 - 28th January, 2011

Scroll to see replies

Subscribing.
Anyone got any revision tips? I feel like I'm going to fail this unit!
I'm doing biological rhythms and sleep, aggression and gender.
Original post by GGSTRT
is anyone else doing aggression, gender biological rhythms/sleep or is that just me lol

Those are the exact 3 topics I'm doing! Want to be revision buddies? :blush:
I actually don't have a clue about anything atm, my brain needs to start working!
Reply 82
Original post by diamonddust
Subscribing.
Anyone got any revision tips? I feel like I'm going to fail this unit!
I'm doing biological rhythms and sleep, aggression and gender.

Just go through the specifications, making 25-mark questions out of every part of it. I think that's probably the best technique. Print off the mark schemes and/or examiner reports to see how they match up to your own answers, and then get your teacher to mark them and tell you how to improve. Time-consuming but hopefully worth it.
Original post by Rosi M
oh great.. i hate cognitive development so much im going to teach myself aggression!
Are you in uni? lol im a bit confused that's why

I was supposed to be going to uni but chemistry ****ed my life lol. So i'm taking a year out and taking the chemistry exams again
Candidate example work for psya3 from aqa website
Original post by mehhh.....hi.
Right, looking at the mark schemes, would it be risky for me to skip the topics that came up in those two exams in my revision? I mean, it's a new spec, so they have a lot to pick frm when writing questions, I feel it is unlikely they will do any of the questions they have done n the past 2 papers. So, if I g off those I can skip all cultural stuff to do with relationships, not learn about one type of eating disorder, and not learn about social psychological theories of aggression.. or is that all risky? Tbh I know all of that already apart from the cultural relationship stuff... and I hate relationships with a passion so if I can cut down on one bit of it it would be great

Defo don't risk it! I'm pretty sure there was a question from the Jan paper that was similar in the June one...
Reply 86
Original post by Zeshaanahmad
I was supposed to be going to uni but chemistry ****ed my life lol. So i'm taking a year out and taking the chemistry exams again

Ah ok, thats a shame though I hope you do really well in your re-sits.. you deserve it especially after a year out :smile:

What you applying for may I ask?

& yeah If i don't watch it, chemistry probably going to mess my life up too!
Reply 87
I actually don't have a clue about anything atm, my brain needs to start working!

Hey one of my topics is cognitive development but its just terrible literally.. its beyond boring and its so depressing.. so me and my friend decided to self teach aggression.. it looks ok.. i was wondering how the topic is? Is it difficult in terms of the content.. what you need to memorise etc?
:smile:
Reply 88

yeah that will be good just send me a message and we can start revising together :smile:
Reply 89
Original post by Rosi M
Hey one of my topics is cognitive development but its just terrible literally.. its beyond boring and its so depressing.. so me and my friend decided to self teach aggression.. it looks ok.. i was wondering how the topic is? Is it difficult in terms of the content.. what you need to memorise etc?
:smile:

Hello i know this wasnt directed at me but having done aggression i thought i could lend my 'expertise'

Aggression itself is not that bad to learn, it is relatively straight forward. ao1 and 2/3 are also relatively straight forward and im sure you and your friend will have no toruble learning it however group display is pretty difficult as there are many theories, my class didnt even look at the book when we learnt it but overall aggression is alright i would say :smile:
In relationships alone, there are at least 74 cited studies.

This means there will be about 200 in the entire PSYA3 paper if the other topics are of similar breadth, not to mention the biology in eating behaviours. FML. Seriously, FML. What on earth am I doing with my life that I need to remember 200 studies for one exam. I just a made a list.

Bossard, Festinger, Murstein, Silverman, Reidel and McKillip, Byrne, Singh and Ho, Kendal, Rubin and Peplau, Kerckoff and Davies, Sprecher, Gruber-Baldini Schaie and Willis, Rusbult and Van Lange, Clarke and Mills, Duck and Miell, Smith and Mackie, Rosenblood and O'Connor, Homans, Thibaut and Kelly, Argyle, Impett Beals and Peplau, Rahgan and Axom, Jerstad, Walster, Van Ypren and Bruunk, De Maris, Dwyer, Miell and Groghan, Duck, Cunningham, Waynforth, Bruce and Young, Langois, Singh, Dunbar and Waynfoth, Buss, Buss and Schmidt, Gross, Pawlowski, Bailey and Zucker, Kenrick, Sprecher, Clarke and Hatfield, Ellis and Symons, Dawson and McKintosh, Norman and Kenrick, Bowlby, Ainsworth Bell and Staydon, Waters Whipman and Sroufe, Jacobson and Willie, Libermann, Parke, Russell and Finnie, Dunphy, Bee, Moore, Feeney and Noller, Hazan and Shaver, Zimbardo, Hamilton, Rutter Quinton and Hill, Sternberg and Beal, Main Caplan and Cassidly, Hartup, Moghaddam Taylor and Wright, Batabyal, Iwao, Umadevi Ventkataramaiah and Srinivasalu, Gupta and Singh, Yesma and Athappily, Xiaohat and White, Zaidi and Shurayayi, Berry and finally, FINALLY Srinivasalan and Lee.

Wtf.
Original post by ilickbatteries
In relationships alone, there are at least 74 cited studies.

This means there will be about 200 in the entire PSYA3 paper if the other topics are of similar breadth, not to mention the biology in eating behaviours. FML. Seriously, FML. What on earth am I doing with my life that I need to remember 200 studies for one exam. I just a made a list.

Bossard, Festinger, Murstein, Silverman, Reidel and McKillip, Byrne, Singh and Ho, Kendal, Rubin and Peplau, Kerckoff and Davies, Sprecher, Gruber-Baldini Schaie and Willis, Rusbult and Van Lange, Clarke and Mills, Duck and Miell, Smith and Mackie, Rosenblood and O'Connor, Homans, Thibaut and Kelly, Argyle, Impett Beals and Peplau, Rahgan and Axom, Jerstad, Walster, Van Ypren and Bruunk, De Maris, Dwyer, Miell and Groghan, Duck, Cunningham, Waynforth, Bruce and Young, Langois, Singh, Dunbar and Waynfoth, Buss, Buss and Schmidt, Gross, Pawlowski, Bailey and Zucker, Kenrick, Sprecher, Clarke and Hatfield, Ellis and Symons, Dawson and McKintosh, Norman and Kenrick, Bowlby, Ainsworth Bell and Staydon, Waters Whipman and Sroufe, Jacobson and Willie, Libermann, Parke, Russell and Finnie, Dunphy, Bee, Moore, Feeney and Noller, Hazan and Shaver, Zimbardo, Hamilton, Rutter Quinton and Hill, Sternberg and Beal, Main Caplan and Cassidly, Hartup, Moghaddam Taylor and Wright, Batabyal, Iwao, Umadevi Ventkataramaiah and Srinivasalu, Gupta and Singh, Yesma and Athappily, Xiaohat and White, Zaidi and Shurayayi, Berry and finally, FINALLY Srinivasalan and Lee.

Wtf.

You don't need to remember all the names, they can just be refered to as 'research' when there's so many to know, theres no extra marks for giving names.
If you can remember the names, congrats I'd love a memory like that, but I wouldn't fret over it

Just learn the main important ones and ones from A03 research
Reply 92
Anyone got anything on sleep? The biological rhythms and pacemaker crap especially? Did last years exam question on it in class today and completely screwed up. Just CANNOT get my head round it for some reason :frown:
Reply 93
Is anyone doing relationships, eating behaviour and gender?
I'm not doing the exam till June but it's still driving me crazy mad trying to learn it all
Original post by esachica
Anyone got anything on sleep? The biological rhythms and pacemaker crap especially? Did last years exam question on it in class today and completely screwed up. Just CANNOT get my head round it for some reason :frown:

I'm trying to convince my teacher to give me her powerpoint presentations on that. They were really good. She said she will decide tmrw so I'll post them up here if she lets me.
I don't actually get her when she says all I will do is copy them and not make my own notes. Isn't that what I'm meant to do copy and put in my own words??? :facepalm:
Original post by booksnob
Anyone else worried about the fact that we have to do 3 25-mark essays with only half an hour for each? It seems completely ludicrous! I've looked at examples questions and they are very demanding, requiring two pages or thereabouts? And five minutes planning time isn't that.

How are you going to plan your time?

Depends on what mark your aiming for, but i've been told by an ex-examiner for the course that for an 'A' you need to be writing 3 pages.
I'm finding it pretty difficult to write that much in 30 mins, i'm hoping that with tons of practice over christmas i'll manage to get an A in my january module.

What topics are you doing?
Original post by asha_patel
Depends on what mark your aiming for, but i've been told by an ex-examiner for the course that for an 'A' you need to be writing 3 pages.
I'm finding it pretty difficult to write that much in 30 mins, i'm hoping that with tons of practice over christmas i'll manage to get an A in my january module.

What topics are you doing?

I apologize if this comes on too strong but what he/she said sounds like utter crap.

I assume by 3 ''pages'' you mean 3 sides.

In June 2010 you needed to get at least 54/75 for an 'A*' or 47/75 for an 'A'.
This means if you got 63% in the June 2010 exam you would get an A.

So if you got 16/25 in each of the 3 sections you would get an A. Lets be honest here, to get that you don't need to write 3 sides.

Not to mention if you managed to write 3 sides in 30mins you would have to write pretty fast! (well I would have to anyway)

Source:
http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-A-LEVEL-GDE-BOUND-JUNE10.PDF

The Jan 2010 boundary for an A is even smaller! 43/75 for an 'A' grade

EDIT: Not to mention the content of what you write will get you the higher marks. (bringing in debates etc.)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 97
Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?
I'm trying to convince my teacher to give me her powerpoint presentations on that. They were really good. She said she will decide tmrw so I'll post them up here if she lets me.
I don't actually get her when she says all I will do is copy them and not make my own notes. Isn't that what I'm meant to do copy and put in my own words??? :facepalm:

Thanks so much! Quote me when you do, I get a bit lost in these threads! I'm surprised she doesn't want to give you them though! Ours are overly keen to give us stuff, to the extent where I've got paperwork coming out of my ears! I just need the biological rhythms a bit more simply explained >.<
Original post by esachica
Thanks so much! Quote me when you do, I get a bit lost in these threads! I'm surprised she doesn't want to give you them though! Ours are overly keen to give us stuff, to the extent where I've got paperwork coming out of my ears! I just need the biological rhythms a bit more simply explained >.<

Yeah will do :smile:

If you see at the top of this page there should be a button called ''thread tools''. Click on it and then select ''watch this thread''. Then you can see whenever someone posts something new on this thread.

I do that to make sure I don't miss anything :tongue:
Reply 99
Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?
Yeah will do :smile:

If you see at the top of this page there should be a button called ''thread tools''. Click on it and then select ''watch this thread''. Then you can see whenever someone posts something new on this thread.

I do that to make sure I don't miss anything :tongue:

Yeah, I know all about that, I'm just far too lazy, hah and occasionally get behind and as much as I love procrastination - sometimes don't get to scroll through everything! Though something tells me I'll be glued to this thread in times of desperate need this Christmas!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending