The Student Room Group

Gcse help

i dont want you to just do the question but could you actually explain how you're doing it. that'd be great.
find the value of x for which:
2x^2 - 7x + 3 > 0

Thanks if you could help..... i just dont know what to do when there is a squared in there! :|
Step by step help please :smile:
Factorise?
Reply 2
Original post by boromir9111
Factorise?

ok i know what factorising it but i dont knw how you'd factorise this?! im really bad at maths ! :frown:
Reply 3
two numbers that multiply to gove 3 (the constant term at the end) and add to give 14 (it is 14 because 2 x 7 [7 is from the middle]. and the 2 comes from the 2 in front of the x^2)

I don't know how you're going to remember it, so just make up some weird mnemonic for it.

the answer is (2x - 1) (x-3)

so x= 1/2, 3.

do you want me to explain anything else you're unclear about? quote me so I see reply
Reply 4
Original post by ilyking
two numbers that multiply to gove 3 (the constant term at the end) and add to give 14 (it is 14 because 2 x 7 [7 is from the middle]. and the 2 comes from the 2 in front of the x^2)

I don't know how you're going to remember it, so just make up some weird mnemonic for it.

the answer is (2x - 1) (x-3)

so x= 1/2, 3.

do you want me to explain anything else you're unclear about? quote me so I see reply

Thanks for that! i understand it now :smile:
i am now stuck on another question! GRAPHS....... i hate them :frown:
it says:
the points A and B have co-ordinates (1, 2) and (5, 8)
find, in the form y=mx+c an equation for the line through both points A and B
...i dont have a clue! :frown:
Original post by Jay1012
it says:

What is m? how do you find it? what is c? how do you find it?
Reply 6
What is m? how do you find it? what is c? how do you find it?

m and c are just numbers i think....
you have to find an equation of the line that goes through those 2 points and just give it in the form y=mx+c m and c are just integers
Reply 7
Original post by Jay1012
it says:

hmmm you seem to have a good understanding so I'll try and explain it through tsr

you are given two points, (1,2) and (5,8). basically, take the x and y values and put it into gradient formula:

m (gradient) = change in y / change in x so.....

m = 2 - 8 / 1 - 5 = -3/2

then you put that into another formula for the actual equation, because now you have two points and a gradient, so....

formula is: y - y1 = m(x-x1) <<<(equation of line formula, in order to use this we need to have ONE coordiante and a gradient [which we just figured out to be -3/2]

which is, by considering only ONE coordiante (gonna take (1,2) it's easier to work with) and the -3/2 gradient, we simply sub in:

y - 2 = -3/2 (x-1)

so... y = -3/2x + 7/2

and done.

seem long, but not really...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ilyking
hmmm you seem to have a good understanding so I'll try and explain it through tsr

you are given two points, (1,2) and (5,8). basically, take the x and y values and put it into gradient formula:

m = 2 - 8 / 1 - 5 = -3/2

then you put that into another formula for the actual equation, because now you have two points and a gradient, so....

formula is: y - y1 = m(x-x1)

which is, by considering only ONE coordiante (gonna take (1,2) it's easier to work with) and the -3/2 gradient, we simply sub in:

y - 2 = -3/2 (x-1)

so... y = -3/2x + 7/2

and done.

You know the forum rules. Don't post full solutions!
Reply 9
You know the forum rules. Don't post full solutions!

oh yeah and my name is aragorn
Original post by ilyking
oh yeah and my name is aragorn

I had to +rep you for that even though you broke the forum rules :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by ilyking

m = 2 - 8 / 1 - 5 = -3/2

formula is: y - y1 = m(x-x1) <<<(equation of line formula, in order to use this we need to have ONE coordiante and a gradient [which we just figured out to be -3/2]

y - 2 = -3/2 (x-1)

so... y = -3/2x + 7/2

and done.

thanks! youre great help! i understand what you're telling me but it's just knowing what to do to solve to question!
i hate Graph stuff, anything to do with graphs im awful at.
Could you explain this one last question.... maybe just the steps to take and start me off :smile:

The line y=41 meets C at point R
find the x coordinate of R, giving your answer in the form p+q(square root of 2) where p and q are integers..... so surd form i think?
Reply 12
Original post by ilyking

m = 2 - 8 / 1 - 5 = -3/2

y - 2 = -3/2 (x-1)

so... y = -3/2x + 7/2

and done.

another question im stuck on........
the curve C with equation y=x^2 - 6x + 18 meets the y-axis at P and has a minimum point at Q.
sketch the graph of C, showing the coordinates of P and Q...
how would you work these 2 points out and what would the graph look like?
thanks if you could help....... i wont bother you after this one :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest