The Student Room Group

The most beautiful word in the English language...

According to the folks down at Dictionary.com, the most euphonious phrase in the english language is...
[INDENT]Cellar Door[/INDENT]
Yep, thats right cellar door. Say it out loud. Feel the words leave your lips. Feels nice doesnt it?
Now I was as suprised as I expect you are (unless youve read the article, in which case you wont be very surprised -_-). And I was wondering what TSRs favourite word/ phrase was. What do you think is the most beautiful word in the english language?

Scroll to see replies

Tupperware or Marsupial.
Reply 2
onomatopoeia!

But, to be fair, 'cellar door' does come out very nicely.
Reply 3
Reply 4
Serendipity
Nostalgia
Indigo
Reply 5
Moist. :sexface:
Mmm, I 'gasmed.
Original post by Cicerao
Moist. :sexface:

damn beat me to it :cool:
Reply 8
I assume it's 'cellar door' because of the sounds it makes? Trying to work out what features in particular make it so :holmes:

Link?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by lechaton-x
Tupperware

?!
Original post by Lewroll
According to the folks down at Dictionary.com, the most euphonious phrase in the english language is...
Yep, thats right cellar door. Say it out loud. Feel the words leave your lips. Feels nice doesnt it?
Now I was as suprised as I expect you are (unless youve read the article, in which case you wont be very surprised -_-). And I was wondering what TSRs favourite word/ phrase was. What do you think is the most beautiful word in the english language?

Woo. That word actually does seem pretty delicious when said aloud.

Cellar door :fan:
Reply 11
jism
Melancholy
Clemency
Caligula
Such a seductive phrase
Original post by ily_em
I assume it's 'cellar door' because of the sounds it makes? Trying to work out what features in particular make it so :holmes:

/s?l?d?:/

Link?

http://hotword.dictionary.com/cellar-door/
Reply 15
Parabellum
Original post by Planto

Why would you post Donnie Darko in a thread about pretty sounding words? :eek:
Reply 17
Serendipity
Reply 18
Fellowship Under the Consequences of the King.
Reply 19
Original post by Lewroll

But isn't cellar door 2 words?

I actually think "beautiful" is a beautiful word.
If you say it admirably to a girl (not cheesy) her heart will melt. It's an impact word if you think about it.

Latest

Trending

Trending