The Student Room Group

I am American..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by Aj12
And you would be wrong on every count. Your calling a country dumb yet you reel off a random list of completely different conflicts that are not connected to each other in any way.

Your really so ignorant that you would compare Nagasaki to Iraq?

The entire structure of their sentence is proof of their ignorance.
I like America and I'm British.My mum lived in orange county for 3 months or so.But why is a Visa so hard to procure for Brits.We helped you guys in a **** ton of wars and so did you for us and Bush and Blair at least had anal once lol.Why can USA mount Britain and make one big country.Oh can I ask what do you really think of mexicans
Well unlike many, I don't hate America because of the amount of fat, useless, arrogant and stupid people that are used to potray America as a whole as I understand it's a minority and a generalisation in this case.

However I don't really like how patriotic they are as I generally don't like patriotism in general; I believe it causes more trouble than it's worth. I also don't really like the silly people they elect into government such as Bush.

Overall I wouldn't say I hate America but I do dislike certain aspects of it. As for hatred it would be directed at individuals or groups not the country as a whole apart from the fact they think their country is better than everyone else. That is just an example of fanaticism as its highest.
Reply 243
0_0 "USA Wins 1-1"? How disappointing that such a mistake was made in a national headline, but I'm glad you like Americans even with the many mistakes we are associated with.
Reply 244
Original post by Genocidal
Well unlike many, I don't hate America because of the amount of fat, useless, arrogant and stupid people that are used to potray America as a whole as I understand it's a minority and a generalisation in this case.

However I don't really like how patriotic they are as I generally don't like patriotism in general; I believe it causes more trouble than it's worth. I also don't really like the silly people they elect into government such as Bush.

Overall I wouldn't say I hate America but I do dislike certain aspects of it. As for hatred it would be directed at individuals or groups not the country as a whole apart from the fact they think their country is better than everyone else. That is just an example of fanaticism as its highest.

Patriotism is definitely a lesson that I have learned (the hard way) is a very ignorant and petty thing to do so I definitely agree with you.
Reply 245
Original post by AwsomePossum
I like America and I'm British.My mum lived in orange county for 3 months or so.But why is a Visa so hard to procure for Brits.We helped you guys in a **** ton of wars and so did you for us and Bush and Blair at least had anal once lol.Why can USA mount Britain and make one big country.Oh can I ask what do you really think of mexicans

Concerning the visa issue I really wished I could answer that, but it is not of my place to do so since I dont have the knowledge in that area.

As for your question on Mexicans, that is another issue that I can't even begin to start talking about since I agree with both sides. It follows along the same lines as a hate/love relationship. I dislike the fact that immigrants are taking away jobs for the American's that are here legaly, but I am also the type of person who would try to help another if possible no matter what background they come from.
Reply 246
Oh lighten up people. Here's a little fact for you (that you may or may not know):

New York used to be called New Amsterdam (or New Netherlands, not much difference), in accordance with the Dutch control. When Britain 'took over' we renamed it after the Duke of York :smile: Hence New York!

Don't you all feel better now! :teehee:
Reply 247
Original post by Aj12
And you would be wrong on every count. Your calling a country dumb yet you reel off a random list of completely different conflicts that are not connected to each other in any way.

Your really so ignorant that you would compare Nagasaki to Iraq?

I wasn't comparing you idiot, I was showing the list of countries the US has attacked. Your telling me the Americans didn't kill Iraqis, those tortues in Abu Gharaib didn't take place did they? I'm sure you loved all that. :rolleyes:
*Chris Crockers voice* Leave America alone!
Original post by Cassandra_Z
Concerning the visa issue I really wished I could answer that, but it is not of my place to do so since I dont have the knowledge in that area.

As for your question on Mexicans, that is another issue that I can't even begin to start talking about since I agree with both sides. It follows along the same lines as a hate/love relationship. I dislike the fact that immigrants are taking away jobs for the American's that are here legaly, but I am also the type of person who would try to help another if possible no matter what background they come from.

are you a politician?
Reply 250
Original post by Allie-23
are you a politician?

No. Was my statement offensive? I would never become a politician. I don't have the characteristics to be one. (Please note I am not trying to be offensive. Just answering your question.)
awww well i like the americans i've met :smile:
Reply 252
Conservaties? I'm sorry I think my use of a "conservative" earlier in one of my post was misleading. When I said conservative I wasn't exactly refering to a body. It is more like a personality here. Many of us in Alaska say the word conservative to refer to those that are kind, don't associate in drama, etc. It's kind of hard to explain what the word means to me since I grew up using it differently than many others.

Also, I wouldn't say 90% of the population loves America or doesn't care about what's going on. I know many people that love the countries communities, but not out government. I also know of many people that are sick and tired of our governments politicians so they refuse to watch the news. It really isn't my place to speak for the whole of America though. The only thing I can say that 90% isn't exactly the number that's appropriate for the statement but I know it's not 0% either.

Ick, by the way I am sorry if my thoughts are completely off topic. I think I've been on this website for a lot more hours than I should be.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 253
I'm not sure if this sub-par attempt at wisecracking deserves a response, but I have a lot of free time so why not.

I'm not sure if you read number 2, but it says in the last 100 years. I can't keep on blaming countries for things they did millenia ago, but I think it's fair to take into consideration their actions in more contemporary times (hence 100 years). In the last 100 years, except for the USSR, Nazi Germany, and perhaps China, no other nation has caused so much death, suffering and violence for its own benefit.

As for number 3, again the Gulf War is happening now, the last war Spain started was with itself almost a century ago.

Satisfied? Not that I really care if you are.
Reply 254
There are plenty of educated, rational Americans. They just seem to elect mad politicians. Also, the religious/moral fanatics scare me.
Reply 255
Liar.

In any case if people switched nationalities for sunshine, huge houses and appearances in films they'd all want to be Colombian drug traffickers, not US citizens. :biggrin:
Reply 256
Original post by Kerny
There are plenty of educated, rational Americans. They just seem to elect mad politicians. Also, the religious/moral fanatics scare me.

I agree, although you managed to be about 3 paragraphs more concise than I did.
Reply 257
I know. :/ That's one of the big points of what I don't like about the country I live in, everyone our age is too focused on petty things.
Original post by Aj12
Conclusion. Your a jackass

Id rather they didn't care what i think. Thankfully we don't have an intrusive act like The Patriots Act to keep tabs on our personal lives 24/7.

I wouldn't want to see any civillians killed but to intentionally wipe out an entire city and generations is unforgivable. They 'supposedly' posted leaflets warning that they were going to bomb, yeah right :rolleyes:.

George Bush becoming President was not democracy. (Well not in Florida anyway! :colondollar:)

I don't think portraying Americans as stupid or ignorant is a stereotype. You only have to see the change of attitude in post 9/11 towards muslims to see their ignorance and stupidity. (Ground Zero 'Mosque' debate)

The right to bear arms = Columbine Massacare and Virgina Tech, sounds pretty stupid to me. You can be old enough to shoot someone to death before you reach the age of drinking alcohol.

The gun/school situation happens every week. Did you watch the news this week? Even the Armish community are not safe and they keep to their own.
Reply 259
Original post by Kerny

Lol, I do admit that there are definitely some scary religious fanatics. A couple months ago when I was driving to an airport there was this man on a street corner with a miniature stage and stereo system yelling out to the drivers about how we need to repent and bow down to Jesus the savior. I know it's not supposed to be funny, but I couldn't help but laugh because the guy was acting so ridiculous and saying such odd things. I didn't even know it was legal to set up post with a microphone and stereo at a street light.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending