The Student Room Group

A Level Choices!!!

For A Level I am thinking of doing

Maths
Spanish
Economics
Chemistry or French or Further Maths

Do you think I should do Chemistry or French? Which would be easier?
And which do you think would be better?

I do not know what I want to do at university or in later life!! And I am predicted A* for all at GCSE. Is further maths really impossibly hard?
Reply 1
French would probably be easier, but if you're looking to go down a scientific route then chemistry may be a better option. Alternatively, if you're looking to go down a linguistic route then French would be for you. Both in my eyes are very dull, however. Go for geography, the most relevant subject going!
If you are picking subjects for their ease, I suggest neither chemistry nor French.
No, further maths is fine. Although I'm only mid way through FP1, so can't really speak for the entire course.

If you want to keep your options open to do science degrees, I'd take chemistry. If you want to take an economics or maths degree, I'd suggest FM. if you have truly no idea, I suggest you take 5 and drop one at a2 when you have more of an idea; you are perfectly capable of 5, with straight a*.
I left French out because if you want to go down the language route, one will suffice.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
I'd take Chemistry as if you take French its unlikely you will be able to go down the sciency route when you're older. With Chemistry you would probably be able to go down either road.
If you don't know what you want to do after A Levels and you don't have any particular subjects that stand out as being extra good at, do what you enjoy! I can't stress how beneficial it is to be doing subjects you like.
Reply 5
French is very very difficult; a friend of mine took it after achieving an A* at GCSE and ended up with a grade D at AS. Chemistry is also difficult so it is really up to you which one you enjoy more. If you enjoy the subject you will do well in it.

We can't make the decision for you! Do what makes you happy :smile: The subjects you have in mind will open up lots of doors anyway, you could do anything in the science area if you chose Chemistry.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Chemistry.
You've already got Maths.
You've already got a language.

Quick Reply

Latest