The Student Room Group

Oh no. I can't afford to shop at Harrods...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by *Lollo*
Anger issues, maybe? My God. I didn't say that those three made up all of W London, but West London is in general not cheap, and from her other articles I believe she lives in Notting Hill, which has become, I think we may agree, an expensive area.

living in notting hill means nothing, there are countless poor people there. the nice area is holland park anyway. they have council houses in notting hill, she may live in one of these perhaps? a street in london can go from expensive to ****. a neighbourhood means nothing, except for maybe knightsbridge and belgravia where there are no poor people.
Reply 101
Original post by .Ali.
Lol I'm 16, I don't have a job, so yeah.

And because I've never expereinced it. Until I came on here, I thought my background was normal, until I got branded a "rah". Lol. I find it hard to believe people can live off what seems to me, so little. Where I live, everyone comes from a similar background to me, so I guess it's just what you're used to? :dontknow:

Dear ali,

After reading many of your comments on TSR and getting increasingly angrier with every word you seem to say, i has just dawned on me that you are nothing but a very good troll. I must admit, you have managed to troll with such a level of proficiency that most would not have spotted it. For this I must congratulate you.

Regards,

Yousif92
[QUOTE='[sophie];28781769']Near the uni? Hmmm... *thinks*
Does it happen to have a new website, by any chance? If so, I thought the old green one was better... :wink:

Not sure, I've only really been on it the last week (snow!).
Praise be for Park and Ride no7 and since everyone goes on about this so much, we came 3rd in some sort of countrywide sixth form poll (not sure how valid that is).
Original post by mariashafira
That was not the message of her article though, you're reading what you want into it. .

"To put it simply: I may be middle class, but I’m poverty-stricken."
"When I first wrote about becoming one of the Nouveau Pauvre the newly poor"
"it seems a particularly brutal hell"

She isn't poverty stricken, poor or living in "a particularly brutal hell". She will be spending more on Christmas than my family and I certainly wouldn't use those terms about us. Writing self indulgent articles about how your returns on property investments have been disappointing and you can't afford to buy from Harrods because you only earn £25k a year shows she is pretty badly detached from reality.
As much as i despise the Daily Fail, the woman who wrote that article is a brilliant troll.

10/10
Reply 105
Original post by yousif92
Dear ali,

After reading many of your comments on TSR and getting increasingly angrier with every word you seem to say, i has just dawned on me that you are nothing but a very good troll. I must admit, you have managed to troll with such a level of proficiency that most would not have spotted it. For this I must congratulate you.

Regards,

Yousif92

I'm not a troll...Jesus, just because I have differnt opinions to you. :rolleyes: People with differeing opinions do exist y'know.
Reply 106
Original post by Cicerao
People can spend their money on what they want, but it can still be called spoiling. :tongue:

Well, I can understand disappointment with not being able to buy presents. I can't spend Christmas with him, but I bought my LDR partner lovely presents (not expensive lovely, but things he'd really like) for our anniversary and Christmas. Then we discussed it and realised it would only be possible to send an envelope because packages sometimes go missing when I send them. So I could only send flat presents that fit into an envelope. You can imagine how limiting that is - very cheap (student budget) and totally or almost flat gifts.
So whereas he's sent me huge boxes of presents, I can only send him an envelope. I got him things like a magazine about superheroes (he loves them), a chocolate bar, a bookmark, a wristband...far less than I wanted to give him.
However, I know that he'll really appreciate what he does receive. Once I gave him a tiny card with a love phrase written on it and he enthused over it.
So even though I know it can be disappointing to not buy everything you wanted for someone, if they're a good person they'll appreciate the thought and the effort.
At least this woman can spend time with those she loves. We don't have that luxury. :frown:

Sorry for my life story. :tongue:

Awwww, that sucks for you two. :frown: I hope you get to see eachother soon. :smile:

You have a point, I agree maybe she should look at the posetives and stop thinking about what she hasn't got. :smile:
Original post by .Ali.
Well the average is really low then.

No. By definition, the average is guess what? Average.
What you seem to think is necessary to live in is actually a high wage. I don't see why you can't accept that.
Reply 108
Original post by WelshBluebird
No. By definition, the average is guess what? Average.
What you seem to think is necessary to live in is actually a high wage. I don't see why you can't accept that.

I don't see how it can be done. Probably because I've hardly ever seen it personally.
£500 a week isn't a comfortable amount to live on.

maybe she should start shopping at Lidl? :P

My mum earns £500 a month LOL!
but we do have things like tax credits and other benefits that help out a little, she needs to quit whinging and get on with things!
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending